Are Vortechs Over Rated?

Harry1996

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was looking at vortech mp10s and 40s and some people say they are very loud and others say they are amazing and silent? I know some people have some so i was just asking are they that amazing?

I really like my vortech and think they are excellent but mine certainly isn't silent. They are quiet 10-70% power but above 70% the noise increase is notable imo. The amount and type of water movement through my tank is excellent though. I would buy one again. The noise is a factor for me as its in my bedroom but in living room I don't think it would be noticeable.

Cheers. My tank is going to be in my room. I am looking into one trouble is I dont know how powerful I need it on. I was looking at the mp40 on a 350L tank well more like 300L any one know how much power I need it to be on?

I have one on my 3ft it is certainly not over rated they shift an awesome amount of water with a wide flow pattern and no dead spots in my tank. I normally have it at about 70-80% on reef setting. I don't notice any noise from mine and I'm 5 feet from it at the moment, only noise is over 90% and a strange vibration at 25% but it is a cracking piece of kit.
My skimmer and return pump are noisier than my Vortech, wouldn't want a marine tank in my room thought that's for sure.

well my skimmer is very very loud anyway so it would probably be fine anyway.
Thanks for the information guys :good:

I would consider the Tunze 6105 as an alternative Harry - granted they are a bit bigger but are highly rated and almost silent apparently. A bit cheaper too :good:

I have an mp40 and it is very quite under the 3 maximum settings.
I have a 75 gal tank and have it running nutrient transport mode on the 4th lowest setting otherwise my corals fall all over the place.
I think they are by far the best powerhead/pump on the market but still think they are over priced!

Nick

Cheers Nick. Hey thanks Stampos I will take a look :good:

I love mine, best buy yet. The amount of water they can move is emmence. Now the noise, mine has a hum when it is turned right up but put it 2 down from the highest setting and its all good. My advice is to get one as they are amazing but buy bigger than you need so you can run it on a lower setting making it silent.

I want another one, we shall have to see how money goes.

Cheers

How many of these do you need to run on a tank? For example i have a 50 gallon tank :)

1 would do on that size. The mp10 can do up to 50g (I think its uk gallons?) The 40 is from 50g to 500g

1 mp40 on a 350l tank would be ample. you could get a mp10 to create cross flow if you liked but not a neccesity in my opinion.

Most reactions

Back