Are Our Fish Genuinely Happy?

Axyadbad

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've only been keeping fish for over a year and every so often I feel a little guilty about keeping them. It's just that when we've kept other animals like rabbits, they're in a cage for a while but then they're let out to run about freely etc.

I keep my fish in tanks which are double the 'minimum' tank size, which are all planted and 'interesting' but I still feel its just a little box which is nothing compared to what they would have in the wild. I don't know.. I suppose I'm a better keeper than some..

Has anyone else ever felt guilty, like me? Or what are your thoughts on their 'happiness'?

Axy!

its sort of swings and roundabouts.
yes they have less space.
but they have no predators and a constant steady food supply.
so i think they love it really.

I don't think fish are quite on the level of critical thinking about happiness and what not that we are. The most important thing would be to keep them in a healthy system IMO and as stress free as possible.

Yeah happy isn't the right word.. stress free is right. Still would rather a tank the size of my room
laugh.png
 then I'd think they'd be properly 'happy' 

If your fish are stress free (enough territory/co-species, no predators etc) and breeding then surely they must be experiencing some form of well-being as we know it. 

Yeah I suppose thats a sign they're ok.. cheers for putting my mind at ease :p :)

Also if you bought them from a pet store, your doing THEM the favour, they shove loads of fish into tiny tanks because of heavy filtration, the tanks are cramped so taking a few little guys home where they have more space is better than them living short lives in cramped tanks.

The idea of fish keeping is to not only enjoy exotic fish in the comfort of your home BUT successfully keep this fish, successfully keeping them means they live long and healthy lives.

I do not think keeping fish is wrong, i think keeping fish in uneducated/unhealthy conditions is wrong.

Rest easy fellow keeper, your treating those fish to better lives than LFS tiny tanks.

:D

paradiddle said:
The idea of fish keeping is to not only enjoy exotic fish in the comfort of your home BUT successfully keep this fish, successfully keeping them means they live long and healthy lives.

This has to be the most true statement I've heard about fish keeping. I think that out right defines our hobby. Part of the fun is the reward of knowing that you've provided a good home for the fish and given them a good life. 

While its true that my fish would have much more space in the wild, the threat of starvation, being eaten or disease is not so much a worry for them in captivity as it is in the wild.

Here here to everything above...you have only got to picture the scene....either crammed in a very small, unexciting, no where to explore, nothing to do fish shop tank.........or their current home where they have places to swim to..things to look at...small community to keep you company...regular food..clean water.....and someone to love them....paradise to those little fishies
yes.gif
fish.gif

I wouldn't think they are unhappy at all. I mean they have good nutrition, the right water chemistry, no predators, crystal clear water (hopefully) and company in the form of other fish that they get on well with. The only time I would say a fish would be unhappy in an aquarium is a poor little betta in a jar or small bowl, or a goldfish in a goldfish bowl, but that is quite rare to see nowadays (thank goodness), so I think it is unlikely for a little fishy to be unhappy in a suitable aquarium
smile.png

fish.gif

I feel silly now.. I think my fish are satisfied and I do try my best to keep them in good conditions :) I'm just a worrier haha.. at least I and everyone on this forum cares about their fish. 
winner.gif
  haha

you got that right! I had a nightmare last night where the front glass on my tank started to separate and my 75 gallon wasn't going to be here for another three weeks! The fish store had just closed so I couldn't buy a new one let alone I was broke! it was terrible! Then my dad suggested we eat them! 
shout.gif

cry1.gif

Oh My God! that sounds like a horrible dream!!!!!!!! I mean who would eat a pretty little fishy???
evilmad.gif
  I had a similar one where my discus were attacked by a stupid black cat and then some random guy hit the tank with a hammer, killing the remaining cardinals and destroying the tank, it was so sad!!
no.gif

Anyway, our fish are all safe and we have nothing to worry about (apart from ammonia and nitrite or an angry Jack Dempsey or Convict beating up its tankmates, Lol). Happy Swimming!
fish.gif

I went to my LFS yesterday to buy some shrimp and possible to up my number of Neon Tetra... One tank of small Neons were in with a betta, there must have been 150 in what must be a 15-20L tank and as I watched I noticed about 20 had an eye missing
cry1.gif
I wanted to rescue them all but couldn't.  I ended up not buying any!! Coming home to see at my fish looking relaxed, happy and looking forward to food tells me they have a better life with me than what is happening to a lot of fish elsewhere! Sigh!

Most reactions

Back