Are Airstones Obsolete?

amagphoto

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank, been set up for over 15 months, variety of fish total about 20, none real big. I used to have ALOT of live plants in there but just got out of control with growth, and co2 injection, ect. Stopped co2 awhile back and just today cleared out over half of the plants...thinking I want to just worry about having an actual FISH tank, and not have to worry about the live plant thing as much. My Question is are airstones even recommended anymore? Way back when I was a kid we all used them religiously but have heard we don't need them anymore????? I have an eheim canister filter with a j hook on it for filtration....is that good enough for oxygen in the tank or would a supplemental small airpump do some good?

Much appreciated.

i never use them anymore, with the filteration today its powerful enough to distribute the water over the suface thus oxygenating the water, helpful for overstocked, but if you use them then stop using them, fish get addicted and could suffer health wise if removed,

i thought one of the reasons to use a airstone was to create a current in your tank to give fish a more realistic enviornment.

Airstones are used for two reasons:

1) To break the surface and create more of a surface area, leading to more gas exchange
2) Aesthetics - some people like the way they look

Any tank with an internal filter or external filter doesn't need one provided the filter outlet is pointed in such a way as to break the surface and create visibly moving the water on the surface, I'd say their non essential. I only use them when I'm treating an unwell fish as increased aeration helps most ailments.

if you use them then stop using them, fish get addicted and could suffer health wise if removed,
Never experienced or heard of that :blink: .
That from experiance or did you read it somewhere, because I don't see how it could happen -_- .

if you use them then stop using them, fish get addicted and could suffer health wise if removed,
Never, experience or heard of that :blink: .
That from experiance or did you read it somewhere, because I don't see how it could happen -_- .
I agree with three-fingers... what exactly are the fish getting addicted to? The bubbles or the O2? :huh:

If you fit a spray bar to the outlet pipe going into the tank, and have it at the surface to break up the water and get it moving around, you shouldn't need an airstone for oxygen. As long as the surface continuously moves/ripples, you really only need one of you like the way they look.

I use them mostly for circulation, I have a 180g and I find the water doesn't move much in certain areas where it's heavily landscaped, and also to create a bit of a current for the fish.

i find the fish get lethargic without them-- or am i imagining that?????? lol

My fish tend to go to the top and start gasping if I stop my filters from breaking the water and pushing air into the tank.

Most reactions

Back