Aqueon ammonia neutralizer

2 angelfish and an electric blue acara, I had 2 fake plants, but just removed them.

Attachments

• 20220219_105416.jpg
    20220219_105416.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 32
2 angelfish and an electric blue acara, I had 2 fake plants, but just removed them.
The fish may just have a heavy bio load and be producing a bunch of ammonia... But in that size of tank I'm unsure if that could be the case... Or, depending on how long you've had it, the ammonia caught up with the amount of water. I also see that you need to add a lot more decor. The fish are probably really stressed cause there is no where to hide...

I just took out the fake plants, thinking they might have a lot of decaying food. Do you think I should try real plant

I just took out the fake plants, thinking they might have a lot of decaying food. Do you think I should try real plant
Most definitely... I would try some java ferns as they do well without substrate. You tie them off to decor like rocks and wood.

I know it’s been mentioned but, it’s very important to place the test tubes directly in front of the color chart and with plenty of good natural light.

I’d put more plants in, real or fake, right away. The fish desperately need a place to hide/feel less stress. I mean the one angel on the left is sadly trying to take shelter behind the thermometer. No matter how messed up the chemistry may be, more water changes can always help so don’t get too down on yourself.

Floating plants are advisable too, because they are fast growing and that means they will take up a lot of ammonia/ammonium.

There is something here we are not seeing. I also thought about bioload, but those four fish are on the small side, and the tank is large enough to easily handle the bioload and more. The water changes have been frequent if the info in this thread is correct. The tap water tests zero for ammonia, or so it was reported earlier (?).

Do they add chloramine to your tap water? This is a bonding of chlorine and ammonia, and conditioners break it down but the ammonia is there, though usually it registers around 0.25. Bacteria and plants can easily handle this. But the fact remains, there is something causing ammonia, unless the tests are not being taken correctly. Be very careful when adding drops to the test tube, just one drop more than needed can distort things.

Most reactions

Back