aquarium salt?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jenny124

Reaction score
when you put salt into the tank i know how much and everything but do you need to buy a special salt like an aquarium salt of do you just put ordinaery salt in like wat you eat? this probably sounds a daft question i just need to know.THNXS ;)

Some common salt has additives like cyanide (used as anti caking agent) which can be harmful for fish. Hence it is preferable to use salt with no additives (eg.sea salt)

Rahter than waste money on expensive salts at the local pet store, I recommend getting a 50lb bag of kosher salt. Most supermarkets should have it. It does not have any additives (be careful though, some add yellow soda of prussia in small ammounts; it is never really enough to be of any harm, especially if you are only adding salt traces, or using salt as a disease treatment).

you're really not wasting any money - acquarium salt can be bought in any petstore and is pretty cheap and at least then you know you are using the right kind of salts.

I use Kosher salt as well, much cheaper then the aquarium salt my fish shops sell. Rock salt is also ok to use and much cheaper. But definetly do NOT use normal table salt.

Linda

thnxs! my white mollies tail is rotting and it looks like its going to die if i put salt in the aquarium would it help it get better or do i need another treatment i really dnt want it to die :sad:

salt might help but you may need an antibiotic to cure the fin rot.

I use pickeling salt cuz it has no addatives and is very cheap, it works fairly well for me to.

Nick

Most reactions

Back