Aquamarine 900 Journal - My First Marine Tank

You have some of my fave fish - I love the flame also!

If you are dead set on the mandarin you can easily and cheaply set up a breeding culture of pods to keep your tank topped up with them.
Im not dead set on much yet tbh, apart from the flame and clownfish that is :p

I think you and I may well sing from the same song sheet - I couldn't imagine setting up a tank without those two!

You have some of my fave fish - I love the flame also!

If you are dead set on the mandarin you can easily and cheaply set up a breeding culture of pods to keep your tank topped up with them.
Im not dead set on much yet tbh, apart from the flame and clownfish that is :p

I think you and I may well sing from the same song sheet - I couldn't imagine setting up a tank without those two!

agree totally now and ive not even fully set up a tank yet lol

ive also been watching videos of the watchman goby and pistol shrimp now and im just fascinated!! i want them in my tank so much :p spent the past hour watching their behaviour lol

I am getting this setup in my tank. The goby and pistol shrimp. My lfs just got the goby in yesterday. I told him I won't buy it until it looks happy/healthy and is eating, but most likely gonna be a sure thing.

Shrimps we are still trying to order in. Hope we find some good ones.

They are very cool, its a fun thing to see.

More pictures!? Have you put any simple things in your tank yet, like zoas etc? Oh my recommendation, don't get red mushrooms unless u like a lot of em lol. I started with one and I have 12.

-Tyler

I am getting this setup in my tank. The goby and pistol shrimp. My lfs just got the goby in yesterday. I told him I won't buy it until it looks happy/healthy and is eating, but most likely gonna be a sure thing.

Shrimps we are still trying to order in. Hope we find some good ones.

They are very cool, its a fun thing to see.

More pictures!? Have you put any simple things in your tank yet, like zoas etc? Oh my recommendation, don't get red mushrooms unless u like a lot of em lol. I started with one and I have 12.

-Tyler

Are they suitable for most aquariums then? (more importantly mine :p?)

what pictures would you like? lol here's 1 of mine in moonlight mode :)
SDC11183.jpg

nah i havent put any zoas in yet, i want to add more to my current CUC 1st, want to make it up to 10 snails and 10 crabs (currently on 9 snails 2 crabs). Ive not read up on corals or polyps yet so i need to research 1st. Are zoas usually the 1st life form to go into a tank after the pet rock and cycle phase?

p.s. water is full of micro bubbles at the moment and crud off the live rock since ive added my powerheads. Ive been told the micro bubbles from my skimmer will 'bed in' and the bubbles will stop within a few weeks.

You can keep the pistol goby combo yes. Just make sure your params stay good. I would still be waiting a while for your setup to be stable.

That is a lot of crabs. I have 5 though I guess. Just little hermits. I have 11-12 snails.

If you are able to add CUC and they have survived just fine and your cycle has COMPLETELY ended, yes you can get some zoas. They are very easy and very cool. You can find them quite cheap usually too. Get some cool ones! Great picture! Have you decided on a cleaner shrimp? or a fire shrimp? or anything? Shrimp are great additions to tanks.

FTS looks great.

I am sure the bubbles will slow up once the skimmer is broken in. Just watch it as you add dudes too it and the cup actually starts to fill up, so it won't overflow on ya.

Any feather dusters coming out yet?

Oh and your turnover is not quite that High. 3100 lph X2 = 6200 lph Divide by 180 is 34X turnover.

-Tyler

You can keep the pistol goby combo yes. Just make sure your params stay good. I would still be waiting a while for your setup to be stable.

That is a lot of crabs. I have 5 though I guess. Just little hermits. I have 11-12 snails.

If you are able to add CUC and they have survived just fine and your cycle has COMPLETELY ended, yes you can get some zoas. They are very easy and very cool. You can find them quite cheap usually too. Get some cool ones! Great picture! Have you decided on a cleaner shrimp? or a fire shrimp? or anything? Shrimp are great additions to tanks.

FTS looks great.

I am sure the bubbles will slow up once the skimmer is broken in. Just watch it as you add dudes too it and the cup actually starts to fill up, so it won't overflow on ya.

Any feather dusters coming out yet?

-Tyler
yeh i was thinking when i wrote 10 that would be too many tbh, i was guna ask my LFS how many i would need :p it seems my cycle has ended, my CUC is live and kicking its way around my tank, im a worrier so every day i get up and i have a count lol.

I'd prefer cleaner shrimp, as i seen a video on youtube about the pistol shrimp with a fire shrimp and they didnt seem too friendly with each other which would worry me :(
Ive already had 1 overflow so i learnt that the hard way
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

No ive had no feather dusters yet which im gutted about
crazy.gif

Update time :)
so after much thought on my lighting situation i decided to get these
IMG_0095.jpg

im now going to change my 2 blue compact t5's to whites giving me a white Kelvin rating of 32k, and then im guna put the aquaray marine blue on which gives 50k+. Think this will make a big difference :) any thoughts?

It'll be more blue? Sorry, it's 5am in the US, not great at thinking at 5am, especially before I've had my coffee.

L

I was thinking that too, if it does then I'll get a aqua ray white too and put my blues back in so it's totally balanced :p ... I'll be doing before and after pics neways so you can Judge :) and go back to bed !!! Lol

Wow that will be very blue!

I don't know if it will be different for fluro compared to MH but when I usually used 12k which gave a cool pure white colour with a hint of blue. When I tried 15k bulbs they looked far too cold for my taste.

Let us know how you get on - some pics with the new lights would be good :good:

I was thinking that too, if it does then I'll get a aqua ray white too and put my blues back in so it's totally balanced :p ... I'll be doing before and after pics neways so you can Judge :) and go back to bed !!! Lol

I did go back to bed but only for a bit. And now I've had my coffee. :D Before and after pictures will help a lot.

Wow that will be very blue!

I don't know if it will be different for fluro compared to MH but when I usually used 12k which gave a cool pure white colour with a hint of blue. When I tried 15k bulbs they looked far too cold for my taste.

Let us know how you get on - some pics with the new lights would be good :good:

Whew! Glad you agree. I don't trust my 5am posts very much. Hahaha! My 3am ones are even worse. I'm currently on a 14k MH in my old 8g. It's crisp with a slight purple/blue tint, but my corals are now growing too fast. I was considering switching to a 20k. My planted tank has a 14k I think. Don't think I'll be changing that. If I go much higher on the Kelvin rating, I'll sacrifice macro growth. Not what I want. You know how many frags I've received for my macro? Grow macro guys. At least where I am, it's pretty darn lucrative.

L

Are you sure its 32,000 Kelvin rating? Just asking. 50k wouldn't be a white light if we're going by standard measures of Kelvin. 20k is considered pretty darn bluish.

L

Are you adding the K ratings?

Because 3 bulbs that each have a 10K rating will still only give you 10K and not 30K

Most reactions

Back