Any1 Have A Good Ideas

FishyTank

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HEY ALL
I HAVE AN ECLIPSE 2 HOOD ON MY SALTWATER AQUARIAM I HAVE MECH/CHEM/AND A BIO WHEEL FILTER
I HEAR ITS NOT GOOD TO HAVE CARBON IN A REEF TANK SO WHAT CAN I PUT IN THE EMPTY SPACE OF WHERE THE CARBON AND BIO WHEEL

also any1 live in the san gabrial/templecity/arcadia ,CA AREA?

Rowaphos, however you can run carbon its fine, i know people who run it but i dont cos it does absorb crap quickly excuse my french.

It is going to be diffuclut to run a reef with an ecipse system 2. The lightining is not sufficinet for many photsynthetic corals, the lighting upgrades tend to be problamatic. The filtration is lacking significantly in design as well IME.

If you are intent on keeping it I would fill the "filter pad area" with rubble rock and remove the biowheel completely.

JMO

Whats wrong with carbon?

I have a bag of rowaphos and a bag of activated carbon in what used to be a mecahnical filter. Had no issues?

Not sure if this applies to saltwater, but I know people that use in in freshwater blame it for high nitrates. Not sure if this is true or not-I had a biowheel on one of my freshwater tanks, and never had a problem with nitrates.

The only way any other filter could be a nitrate factory would be from detritus being caught and breaking down. Provided the filter is kept free of detritus it is not going to be a nitrate factory. Poor maintenance is what causes a filter to become a nitrate factory.

Think about it, nitrates occur in a tank from ammonia converted to nitrites converted to nitrates. I would sooner have nitrates in the tank than the other two, and if just adding the filter creates a higher rate of nitrates, the chances are that the ammonia is not being processed well enough.

If you actually read around you will see that not all is as many Berlin system enthusiasts would have you believe. Plenty of people run perfectly good SW tanks with UGF. It's just a bit more work, that's all.

If you actually read around you will see that not all is as many Berlin system enthusiasts would have you believe
huh? You lost me in this sentence... :blush: :lol:

The Berlin system has become extremely popular with most aquarists now following it, or slightly modifying it (The Berlin system is to have a large amount of Live Rock with powerheads and a protein skimmer as the basis of filtration).

Many people now see that as the ONLY way to run a reef tank, without being able to see the benefits of other filtration styles.

Most reactions

Back