Any Way To Speed Up Cycling?

Igniseus

Reaction score
Hey all

I bought my first tank about 4 weeks ago, it was only a 12 litre so 3 weeks later i bought a 60 litre. Obviously i've had to start again as the first tank had not even finished cycling and the stuff isn't compatible, plus its getting used elsewhere. I'm now 1 week on from getting my new tank and starting to get a little impatient. It's my own fault, but its just annoying to think i have to wait a further 3-7 weeks on top of the previous 3 to get some fish.

So....is there any methods, or any products i can throw my money away on to speed up the process? I've ordered some ammonia, so i'm gonna start putting that in but anything else i can do?

Here's the list of fish i have come up with so far that I like and am thinking about for my tank. Any of these really hardy fish that would be alright going in a bit early? I'm not talking now, but maybe 2-3 weeks into the cycle? Dont want to hurt the fish of course, but if any will be fine and dandy then why not?

In no particular order:
white cloud mountain minnows
tetra's
Cherry Barbs
Harlequin Rasboras
Zebra Danio
Variatus Platy
yoyo/pakistani loaches
clown pleco
Pygmy cories
African Dwarf Frog

Thanks!

Getting some mature filter media help, also depending on your location you may want to give bio-spira a shot. As far as fish go id say there all ok (well obviously not ALL, but a selection of few would be fine) apart from the danios and plec :) No the the danios because there so active they need more space and no to the plec because they need a really well matured tank :good:.

Unfortunatly you cant hurry mother nature. One thing you can try is to visit your LFS. See if they will part with some of their media. Most places wont mind giving/selling some gravel from their tanks to get yours going.

Getting some mature filter media help, also depending on your location you may want to give bio-spira a shot. As far as fish go id say there all ok (well obviously not ALL, but a selection of few would be fine) apart from the danios and plec :) No the the danios because there so active they need more space and no to the plec because they need a really well matured tank :good:.

I'm in the UK so no bio-spira unfortunately :(

As for mature filter media, I don't know anyone with a fish tank :(

Thanks

No substitute for patience i'm afraid. It's worth it. you'll see. :good:

I'm in the UK so no bio-spira unfortunately :(

Where abouts are you ? Im sure if theres someone close on here, they would oblige ? There used to be a pinned thread, but not sure how upto date it is !
Im in Nottingham...

Huddersfield (West Yorkshire)

I've checked that thread. Nearest person is about 45-60 mins away i think. And i dont have a car so i cant get there, though i would pay them to bring it here, but i would imagine the bacteria would be dead by the time it arrives?

Huddersfield (West Yorkshire)

I've checked that thread. Nearest person is about 45-60 mins away i think. And i dont have a car so i cant get there, though i would pay them to bring it here, but i would imagine the bacteria would be dead by the time it arrives?

Be ok for a few hours, provided its kept warm... PM a few locals, you may get lucky !
Failing that, beg at the local fish shop... he should be happy to give you a bag of "squeezings" for free.

How about chucking in various bacteria products? I hear most of em dont work or are hit and miss but if i alternate each day between several brands maybe the combined effect might speed things up? Expensive but if it might shave time off i'm all for it.

You just cannot speed up the process... adding a mismash of products will, more than likely, make matters WORSE ! You may even end up starting again...

For the UK, you could try bactinettes. It will process your ammonia (if the bacteria is still alive... it needs to be kept in the fridge). People seem to vary in whether it does anything for nitrite or not, but at least it will help start things off.

..Add a cutting of filter media, or filter media squeezings (mulm).

Process can be sped up somewhat by providing optimum conditions for the bacteria:
Set heater to high - up to, but not above 35C water is best.
Ph above 6 (7.5 optimum).
Add a weekly pinch of Bicarbonate of Soda - the 'other' food they need.
Prevent algal blooms - keep the tank in the dark or at the very least, unlit.
Well aerated water - set filter outlet correctly.
Don't add too much ammonia.

Andy

Yes, peddle faster!

Sorry :blush: :blush: :blush:

Most reactions

Back