Any Swiss Shepherd owners

Tomorrow is the big day! He is the one on the right seen here with his 5 brothers.
Sadly little Jabu (the lab) missed out on meeting him by just 9 days when her legs finally stopped working last week :sad: and we had to make the dreadful call.View attachment 329314

I'm so, so sorry for your loss of your gorgeous girl. I know well the heartbreak and the agony of having to make that call. But you did the right thing when she let you know it was time.

I'm glad you have the joy of Siri's arrival and care to help you through. Jabu would want that for you. This might be for the best, in a way. Dealing with a young pup as an elderly artharitic dog can be too much at times, and this way she had your full attention until the end, without experiencing any jealousy or stress over the new arrival to the family.

Doesn't help ease the pain though, I'm so sorry. It never gets easier. I try to hold in mind that the joy she brought over her lifetime far outweighs the pain of saying goodbye. It's worth the pain in order to share our lives with these incredible creatures. ❤️

PXL_20231109_173003184~3.jpg
Little ears finally trying to get up :p

View attachment 330288
Little ears finally trying to get up :p

Squeeeeeee!! Aaaww, she's so adorable! Going to be such a stunning girl once she's grown. Take lots of photos and videos! They grow so fast, and even though I took thousands of photos with my girl, I still wish I'd taken more!

Of course, not being a skilled photographer and with moving animals, I still have hundreds of pics where it's just a black and white blur as she bounds out of shot, or a blurry photo of her leaping towards me, but I can't bring myself to delete any of them. She's my baby (even though she just turned 11).

Making me puppy broody now, between you, @GaryE 's, @Naughts , and my local neighbour just got a cocker spaniel/poodle cross pup... I want a pup! I can't right now, but I'm enjoying the puppy stage through following you guys!

Squeeeeeee!! Aaaww, she's so adorable! Going to be such a stunning girl once she's grown. Take lots of photos and videos! They grow so fast, and even though I took thousands of photos with my girl, I still wish I'd taken more!
Heh Heh it's a him this time ;).
Almost 13 years since the last pup - I had forgotten how much work it is.

My husband took his violin bow to be rehaired yesterday and the man's wife breeds Westies. The four pups from the latest litter are now 5 weeks old, and the owner has only left the house once since they were born - and that was to take the pups' grandmother to the vet after the dog was cut on some hidden barbed wire during a walk. Having one pup is bad enough, think of coping with 4 of them :)

Time for an update. It was his first half birthday on Thursday so we celebrated with a little trip to the South Hams. He's just shy of 30KGs now. Here's how it went.
1: He learnt to be a guard dog (in my dreams - he's a big cuddly teddy and a bit of a wuss!)
PXL_20240302_115026598.jpg
2: Good boy pub dog (Apparently the most unusual pub in Britain so lead required)
PXL_20240302_135417886.jpg
3: Moor dog, he really wanted to prove his shepherd talents (in his dreams!) hence the lead.
PXL_20240302_144800078.jpg
4: Finally unleashed in his happy place (Bigbury on Sea)
PXL_20240303_095943845~2.jpgPXL_20240303_095423348~2.jpgPXL_20240303_095658350~2.jpg

Time for an update. It was his first half birthday on Thursday so we celebrated with a little trip to the South Hams. He's just shy of 30KGs now. Here's how it went.
1: He learnt to be a guard dog (in my dreams - he's a big cuddly teddy and a bit of a wuss!)
View attachment 337989
2: Good boy pub dog (Apparently the most unusual pub in Britain so lead required)
View attachment 337990
3: Moor dog, he really wanted to prove his shepherd talents (in his dreams!) hence the lead.
View attachment 337991
4: Finally unleashed in his happy place (Bigbury on Sea)
View attachment 337992View attachment 337993View attachment 337994
Beautiful m8

Judging by that happy face, the pub might be his happy place! A dog after my own heart. A run on the beach and dip in the ocean, followed by a pub lunch and cheeky tipple. Loverly!

Judging by that happy face, the pub might be his happy place! A dog after my own heart. A run on the beach and dip in the ocean, followed by a pub lunch and cheeky tipple. Loverly!
Except we always went to the pub first - he's well enough behaved that you don't need to tire him out first. But with the current state of the moors he wouldn't be welcome anywhere after an hour of running around, and with the white coat you can't even pretend not to notice :eek:

c8e79f28-e260-4cff-8b57-044823208c84.JPG
Close to his final shape now - a bit leggy after the latest growth spurt. And the adult coat has started coming in so I guess I'll be using the comb a lot more by the end of summer - he enjoys that though. The last of his teeth are pushing through so I had to restrain him from eating the pub table tonight, I wouldn't give the table much chance - he can completely destroy a large marrow bone in under an hour :devil:. Just over 35KG now so easy to forget he's still a baby.

My now 13 month old puppy reached a milestone you might appreciate.

Today, she let me put my shoes and socks on in the same room as her without having to be told to give me space. These events really happen.

Today, she let me put my shoes and socks on in the same room as her without having to be told to give me space
I can totally relate to this statement. My Aussie pup will not let us put our shoes on without trying to run away with them or pulling on the laces.

My friend's dog used to undo the velcro on my shoes. I would push them down and they would pull them up. :)

My Papillon went through a chewing phase when she was younger. She spent many hours chewing on the phone line for the internet, which ran along the floor into my room. One day I lost the internet and it took quite a while to figure out why. Turned out she had finally managed to chew through the wire and got zapped. She was alright but didn't touch cables again after that. :)

My semi-puppy is a golden, a white one. She's my first puppy since I was 12, and that puppy was short lived due to a genetic condition. She was atypical. This one is the full show. She is calming down (it really happens) and sometimes listening well. She tries hard but sometimes that essential puppy nature kicks in and everything goes crazy.

It's lovely here as we have a half dozen fawns that pass through out back, and they get the zoomies just like puppies. Every once in a while I look out and they're running and chasing in circles like total idiots - just like puppies do. Sometimes the adult deer forget to be mature and dignified and join right in. It's the most spectacularly uncoordinated dance I've ever seen - they make hippies look graceful.

Puppy keeping is an exhausting art, but it's really worth it. You learn new skills like woodwork repair, sewing, dropped food retrieval...

Most reactions

Back