Any Swiss Shepherd owners

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
P8141837_4730.jpgJabu Dark-2408.jpg
For some time I have said that when my old faithful girl reaches the end of her journey that's it for dogs. But as the time draws nearer I have realised I need one in my life. In the past I have had several German shepherds and one Belgian. I have also said if I ever have another dog it would be another shepherd. While searching for Belgian shepherd breeders I came across the White Swiss Shepherd a.k.a. Berger Blanc Suisse.

Does anyone have one and care to share their experience of the breed? I already know from past experience that being a parent to one of these guys is a full time job. I also know about the moulting - while I'm not wild about that we already have a lab and 2 long haired show cats (number 3 arriving in summer), so it is what it is :) . I have been to meet a few breeders and their dogs and spent loads of time reading up on them, but I am particularly interested in real world differences between these and GSDs, and I understand they are quite different in temperament and personality

grass-shepherd-white-swiss-viewes-trees-3748987279.jpg

I cant offer any help but those dogs are absolutely beautiful!

View attachment 317300View attachment 317301
For some time I have said that when my old faithful girl reaches the end of her journey that's it for dogs. But as the time draws nearer I have realised I need one in my life. In the past I have had several German shepherds and one Belgian. I have also said if I ever have another dog it would be another shepherd. While searching for Belgian shepherd breeders I came across the White Swiss Shepherd a.k.a. Berger Blanc Suisse.

Does anyone have one and care to share their experience of the breed? I already know from past experience that being a parent to one of these guys is a full time job. I also know about the moulting - while I'm not wild about that we already have a lab and 2 long haired show cats (number 3 arriving in summer), so it is what it is :) . I have been to meet a few breeders and their dogs and spent loads of time reading up on them, but I am particularly interested in real world differences between these and GSDs, and I understand they are quite different in temperament and personality

View attachment 317302
I had a wonderful mutt whose DNA showed him to be part White Swiss. Perfect disposition. Outweighed me at 140 pds. A few days ago I bought a year old Belgian Malanois. I joined a Facebook group specifically for her breed. Many highly experienced Mal owners there & lots of cool photos

Here you go. So many knowledgeable & experienced people in my dog group
Thanks - I have spotted the groups but these days I totally avoid social media.

I had several GSDs in my younger days. My last shepherd was a Terveuren, gorgeous nature and helped bring up my daughter, including on one occasion saving her from a deadly poisonous snake. Recently I have seen several lovely looking GSDs in my area, but am saddened at how much the breeders have focussed on exaggerating the hip angle. I spoke to a breeder who assured me it was the fault of the UK show standard that encouraged that. I never saw that in my reading of the standard, as far as I can tell in recent years dogs that look like that have done well in competition so everyone tries to emulate them.

It was for that reason I was looking at Belgian sites (in Belgium - fortunately I can read Flemish fairly easily and can just about survive French :) ) On one of these I found an FAQ that read "Do they come in white?", and the rest as they say is history (IIRC it was a Malanois site). They are not split into working vs show lines and as it is (officially) a relatively new breed those who have bred them have done so for the love of the breed rather than with the aim of producing champions, so they appear much healthier, with more natural looking lines. I am now on the waiting list for the summer / autumn litter from a local breeder. So no doubt it won't be long before I start spamming you lot with puppy photos :whistle:

I have learned to accept zero friend requests, but am getting good info from species specific fish groups and now this one dog group.

I do not like the GSD sloping back look at all, if that’s what you’re referring to.

Can’t wait for the pup pics!

I have learned to accept zero friend requests, but am getting good info from species specific fish groups and now this one dog group.

I do not like the GSD sloping back look at all, if that’s what you’re referring to.

Just spotted your pic of Ellie in the other thread (where I'm not allowed to comment ;) ). She's gorgeous!!! I'm sure you already know this but they are still growing up to 18-24 months so go easy on the running and frisbee. My old girl is struggling terribly with arthritis atm (I thought I would have to make that dreaded final trip to the vet last weekend :( but thankfully she is up and about again and acting normally). So I am naturally going to be over cautious when the new baby arrives.

Probably younger than you expected - they came out of the oven today.
Very excited :banana3:
da5b1014-dbb3-4657-a324-55bb8a5c34f9.JPG

So precious. Swiss shepherd was in my top 3 breeds before I got my little guy. I am going to be saving to cover the cost of a Swiss puppy once Marcello is nearing his retirement age so there is time to train him to work before Marcello must retire

Tomorrow is the big day! He is the one on the right seen here with his 5 brothers.
Sadly little Jabu (the lab) missed out on meeting him by just 9 days when her legs finally stopped working last week :sad: and we had to make the dreadful call.
1698141460791.jpeg

Most reactions

Back