AmQuel+

Kiara

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just to let you know my story. I got a 55g tank and put in 14 fish the day after I set it up. I was told by my lfs that this was ok. :-(

So, now, my ammonia is between .25 and .5 I just found out my fish have Ich. Maybe because of the ammonia.

I have something called AmQuel+

can I add this to the water to get rid of the ammonia, then treat the fish, or should I treat the fish first.

I just don't know what to do anymore. My fish are dying and I can't help them... Please help

No. I also use amquel plus and you just add it to untreated water. And its to bad that your lps told you that. And all you can do is do frequent water changes and vacum cleanings. And another thing that might help is if you have another tank that will have room for then put them in their to you get the water fixed. Or you could return them to your lps and tell them that they should not have told you to add fish after one day and see if you can get store credit to buy the same fish once it cycles. And I don't know if you already know but for a tank to cycle it takes 2 weeks for it to do so.

actually it can take as much as 6 weeks. it varies on technique and tank. he/she could seed the tank if he/she had another tank that is cycled and has fish.

to treat ich: raise temp to 84 degrees f. treat with meds of your choice at the recomended does or less. treat for at least 3-4 days after ich disappears. i find that doing a good gravel vacuming before treatment helps a lot. can you tell us what types of fish you have?

Durbkat: i highly dobt that the lfs will take the fish back if they have ich, unless the employees are stupid enough to put them in thier tanks which is a lfs i would not go to, or they could possibly just toss the fish. i understand you are trying to help but i cant possibly see why you have 239 post within 13 days of joining. a lot(not all)of your post are misleading.

im sorry Kiara but do to the fact that the tank is uncycled and the fish have ich more than likely they could die. dont use the product. it removes the amonia. without the amonia the tank will never cycle and you will become dependant on it.

fish_keeper2 said:
to treat ich: raise temp to 84 degrees f. treat with meds of your choice at the recomended does or less. treat for at least 3-4 days after ich disappears. i find that doing a good gravel vacuming before treatment helps a lot. can you tell us what types of fish you have?
[snapback]908519[/snapback]​
Raise the tank temperature slowly. Don't just turn it from 78 to 84. That could be even worse for the fish. Maybe turn it from 78 to 80 tonight and then to 82 tomororow morning and so on.

Since your ammonia is only .25 to .5, I would continue to control it with water changes as everyone has said. If you can keep it under .5 you should be ok although I think from one of your earlier posts, you pH runs kind of high making ammonia more toxic. I'm not big on chemicals and if you can keep the ammonia down your tank woll cycle faster without the chemicals. I know some medication will kill off the bacteria colony but not sure about the ich treatments. I have been fortunate to not cross paths with ich yet. Knock on wood.

Man oh man, I feel sorry for the poor fish. I really wished I had researched first now. My husband got me the tank for my birthday since I had always wanted fish. I have 1 catfish left, 2 pleco's, 6 tigerbarbs, 2 blue gourmie (sp?), 1 Albino Bala, and 1 Bala shark. I feel so horrible. I need to go out and get the ich medicine, but I have to wait until my husband gets home from work because my baby is sick.

Do you think any of them will make it through this. My catfish already looks like he can't breath, just like the other catfish did yesterday.

:sad:

Some of them will but some probably won't. What kind of catfish is it? Do you have an airstone running? I can't remember from your earlier threads. You will definitely need that as you raise the temperature. As the temp goes up, there will be less oxygen in the water so you need extra aeration.

If you were the first one to ever do this, we might fuss at you but you're not and you won't be the last. We all have problems and we have all lost fish due to dumb things we have done. As long as you learn from your mistakes then it isn't a lost cause. Just keep up the water change, maybe 2 a day, and you will be able to save some of the fish, maybe all of them.

You didn't have to be so harsh to me fish keeper 2 I was just trying to help and I was just telling him/her what I use.

Most reactions

Back