Ammoniam Nitrite And Nitrate Levels Help Needed

With a cycled tank, going on holiday is usually no problem. Healthy, well fed fish can go a long time without food - a week is no problem, many people have pushed it 2-3 weeks. If you have a neighbor feed them, have them feed once or twice a week, rather than daily, and measure amounts ahead of time and hide the cans. Many new owners overfeed, and many people who don't keep fish will take their eager jumping at food to mean they're still hungry and may overfeed. Do a big water change beforehand to get nitrates down, and feed lightly when you first return.

just done another water change and my levels are now

Nitrate = 40ppm
nitrite = 1ppm
ammonia = 2ppm

Were getting there planning on doing another tomorrow morning then sunday afternoon as im off out 2 tomorrow

tom

yer aint got a prob with doing the water changes as i live where i work part and parcel of being in the forces. im hoping a friend down the corridor is getting his tank set up (a 60l biorb) in the near future so will help him out to i spose

tom

Hard work! ha. In past, I think I had the same situation that you have. Here are some advise. No need to change water to reduce Ammonia every day. That's what I did in the past when I was in panic. I still lost fish. So here what you need

Biological Additives ( I perfer StartSafe)
Filter Media ( I perfer Matrix stone by SeaChem)
Water conditioner ( any remove Chlorine & Heavy Metal will do)

To build good bacteria in your tank, need to raise the temperture between 72 F to 79 F.
Once you have these condition in your tank, it will cycle the tank within a week. Remember this only cycle your tank

I buy the products from these website because they are cheapper than the local stores.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com
www.petsolutions.com

Hope for the best

don't bother testing for nitrates until the filters have settled down. Nitrate test kits will read nitrite as well and you get an incorrect reading. Just monitor ammonia & nitrite for now and when they stay on 0, then start testing the nitrate.

ok then im finally wining the battle

ammonia = 0.5ppm
nitrate = 40ppm
nitrite = 1ppm

Most reactions

Back