Ammonia level still high despite 7 day 50% water change. Please help!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Does your water supplier use chlorine or chloramine in your tap water. If chloramine, then it is normal for a small amount of ammonia to test positive. Chloramine contains ammonium which is far less toxic than ammonia. My city uses it and my test always shows .25 ammonia. You may want to get a Seachem Free and Total test kit which actually breaks down the free ammonia in the tank. Mine comes back fine in that test. More and more cities are moving to chloramine because it lasts in the water longer than chlorine. Confused fish keepers though. :)

Last edited:
Does your water supplier use chlorine or chloramine in your tap water. If chloramine, then it is normal for a small amount of ammonia to test positive. Chloramine contains ammonium which is far less toxic than ammonia. My city uses it and my test always shows .25 ammonia. You may want to get a Seachem Free and Total test kit which actually breaks down the free ammonia in the tank. My comes back fine in that test. More and more cities are moving to chloramine because it lasts in the water longer that chlorine. Confused fish keepers though. :)
How can I tell if my city still have chlorine? ????

I actually read that at least 24 States so about half. I think all will move that way.
They probably will with covid19. The people making decisions have concerns it might get into the water supply, so are upping the levels of chlorine/ chloramine. It's not just happening in the US, it's happening all around the world. Water companies have been increasing the chlorine/ chloramine levels to make sure the water is safe.

They probably will with covid19. The people making decisions have concerns it might get into the water supply, so are upping the levels of chlorine/ chloramine. It's not just happening in the US, it's happening all around the world. Water companies have been increasing the chlorine/ chloramine levels to make sure the water is safe.
Something to think about.

Most reactions

Back