Ammonia level still high despite 7 day 50% water change. Please help!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I would suggest adding some fast growing plants like water sprite or anacharis which will help absorb some of the ammonia. Did you check your tank to make sure there are no dead fish? Have you been vacuuming the gravel? sorry for the questions but it helps us try and help you and your fish.

As far as nemo have you considered getting him a fry net? I have a fry that I have in one and plan on letting him out when he is big enough to no longer look like lunch to the other fish. They are not expensive.

Pulled out the old charcoal filter cartridge, and put in a new charcoal filter cartridge - Aqueon brand, same as the tank.

Bam. Here it is.

Most of your bacteria lives in your filter media.

If you remove all of your filter media, your good bacteria goes with it. With a brand new cartridge and zero bacteria on it, you've gotten an ammonia spike and pretty much have started the cycle from day one.

Bacteria will grow on all surfaces such as gravel and decoration, but a lot of lives on filter media. This is the main reason we filter our aquariums after all.

The filter cartridge was changed AFTER the ammonia spiked, not before, and only because it was so gummed up with debris and a dead fry or two.

Got it. This may or may not have set you back even further though.

Reduce feeding, do not clean the filter, and continue your water changes. For one reason or another, you have lost your cycle and you need to keep up with water changes while the tank re-establishes itself.

I would suggest adding some fast growing plants like water sprite or anacharis which will help absorb some of the ammonia. Did you check your tank to make sure there are no dead fish? Have you been vacuuming the gravel? sorry for the questions but it helps us try and help you and your fish.
Yes. And yes.

If you live in Seattle, Washington state, and if the photo earlier in this thread is this tank--you probably have absolutely nothing to worry about.

The water in the Pacific NW (and SW BC where I live) is very soft (zwero GH/KH or very close) and acidic. The water authority may add something to increase the pH, but this is usually temporary. Provided you are not adding something to buffer the pH, it will be well below 7. Ammonia in acidic water is primarily ammonium and this is basically harmless.

The plants will easily take up the ammonia/ammonium from the fish. Why you are seeing ammonia (which is likely ammonium) in test results I cannot say; does Seattle use chloramine maybe?

Subject to your pH, the nitrifying bacteria are likely non-existant in your filter. What is your pH? And GH just for good measure?

As far as nemo have you considered getting him a fry net? I have a fry that I have in one and plan on letting him out when he is big enough to no longer look like lunch to the other fish. They are not expensive.
Just paid for a breeder box to be delivered on Tuesday. Here is hoping he'd make it - he did this far :)

Most Charcoal filters or activated carbon do need to be removed when exhausted, if the other media wasn't changed then you should be alright. Charcoal and carbon filter can start to leach if left for a long period of time and not removed. How big is your filter, how big is your tank?

If you still have charcoal filters I would suggest replacing them with sponge filters. Charcoal is good for removing medication but a sponge filter works better at filtering the water and is far cheaper than buying replacement charcoal filters. I have a box of charcoal filters new in the bag that I only use for medications.

Most Charcoal filters or activated carbon do need to be removed when exhausted, if the other media wasn't changed then you should be alright. Charcoal and carbon filter can start to leach if left for a long period of time and not removed. How big is your filter, how big is your tank?
10 gallon. And we do have both charcoal and sponge filter.

Try put the Tardis in a bucket and test everyday for Ammonia. I want the Tardis btw lol.

It's unlikely to be the resin ornament and more likely to be the filter media that was thrown out combined with food and possibly ammonia in the tap water.

Most reactions

Back