Ammonia level still high despite 7 day 50% water change. Please help!!!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MetiSeifu

Reaction score
Three adult platys, one fry. Some plants. Three decors - one much bigger than the rest. 10 gallon tank.

Still ammonia level is at 0.5 despite 50% water changing EVERY.SINGLE.DAY for the last week and more. I suspect the newer decor - attached herewith - maybe the perp. My boyfriend doesn't even wanna hear it - being a giant Dr. Who fan.

The ornament, that we bought off Amazon is: Small size, measures approximately: 4.3"x4.1"x6.9" (11X 10.5X 17.5cm) (L x W x H ). Resin decoration, non-toxic, safe for use, creates water currents and dazzling underwater scenes.

No one else reported to having this problem in the comment section.

Attachments

• 61kTKhYbXGL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    61kTKhYbXGL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
How long has the tank been set up? Is it fully cycled? Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?

I do not think decor would create ammonia.
Yes. Been fully cycled for several months. As for the tap water, we use a product to treat the water before putting it in the aquarium. Our ammonia level has been great until about 2 weeks ago. We didn't make any change other than get the decor.

when was the last time you cleaned the filter?
how do you clean the filter?

test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to make sure the ammonia isn't coming from there.

reduce the feeding to once every second day.

add some liquid bacteria

when was the last time you cleaned the filter?
how do you clean the filter?

test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to make sure the ammonia isn't coming from there.

reduce the feeding to once every second day.

add some liquid bacteria
- Filter was changed less than a week ago.
- Have put liquid bacteria this week too.
- Will check tap water.
- Will see if reducing feeding helps. But the fry, who thus far survived in a tank of 3 adults, including his mother, sharking around to eat him [making one wonder just how many of Nemo's brothers and sisters Nemo's parents ate before Nemo found himself a good hiding spot; giving a different meaning to the title of the movie, "Finding Nemo" :)] is only a baby. He needs to eat to grow, and become big enough not to be eaten so I am wondering if less feeding is a good idea - for him :(. I love the little fella and would do anything to keep him alive [except for buying a breeding tank. We don't have the place for it].

Ok. Checked tap water and it shows the ammonia level was 0/"Ideal".
Here is the tank without the latest decor, btw.

Attachments

• 20200426_104655.jpg
    20200426_104655.jpg
    731.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Now we are wondering if the fourth fish that died last week, from Dropsy [he started swelling and gasping], has something to do with the drop in bacteria level.

Most likely the ammonia was cause of death.

What do you mean by you changed the filter?
Pulled out the old charcoal filter cartridge, and put in a new charcoal filter cartridge - Aqueon brand, same as the tank.

You can work out if it was the Tardis by putting it in a bucket of water and see if it alters the ammonia level in that.

Is there anyhting else in the filter besides the carbon cartridge?
Will do.

The filter has a bio-filter sponge as well as the cartridge.

Pulled out the old charcoal filter cartridge, and put in a new charcoal filter cartridge - Aqueon brand, same as the tank.
I would not change the filter media as any sponge in the filter that is, has some bacteria on it and changing the foams could crash the cycle.
So if you changed it, you crashed the cycle. You should cycle your tank again without changing the foams in the filter unless needed in very small parts of the foam every week to let the bacteria multiply on every new piece of the foam, but don't do this until your tank is cycled for about two months or so.

Most reactions

Back