All Fishes Have Died In <2 Hrs

custy

Reaction score
Hi There

New Member to this wonderful forum.

I just have one question:

Why have all of my 24 or so feeder fishes (Ruby Reds) died in less then 2 hours from petstore to my home? My tank is a 5 gallon tank with filter. Brand new water in tank. I've also added 1 teaspon of Ick Guard (blue crystals) to my tank but all still have died...

Thanks

Well, first of all, your tank was not properly established and "brand new water" is practicly posion to your fish. Read this post on cycling: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=73365
Secondly, you added way too many fish at one time, and the fish probably died from stress and ammonia posioning, although I don't know if the ammonia would build up enough to kill them in just a few hours.
It also could be that they were diseased when you bought them (feeder fish normaly are, because the the conditions they are forced to live in) and the stress of moving them finished them off.
Enless you actually see the Ick (small white grains of salt looking dots) then don't add the medication for it (just so you know next time).

Were you planning on feeding these to other fish, or were you keeping them?

This entire scenario doesnt look very good...
Is this your first aquarium?
Have you done any prior research?

Actually, I am planning to use these feeders for my turtles.

In fact, I already have another set up of dozen or so 10" Koi's. However, I remembered that they were quite easy to take care of.

I will definetly take a read on the cycling process.

Thanks

Its good that you have some prior experience. However, koi are a very different animal, so I am sorry to say that it wont help too much.

Can you possibly place the feeders in the reptile's tank? If not, try buying a chemical called "cycle"; it puts bacteria into the tank, and can reduced nitrogen.

Also, I assume you are using dechlorinator. This often has additives to reduce stress.

-Lynden

Its good that you have some prior experience. However, koi are a very different animal, so I am sorry to say that it wont help too much.

Can you possibly place the feeders in the reptile's tank? If not, try buying a chemical called "cycle"; it puts bacteria into the tank, and can reduced nitrogen.

Also, I assume you are using dechlorinator. This often has additives to reduce stress.

-Lynden

Cycle is consistently proven to have no effect on the nitrogen cycle. I have never heard of anyone having any success with it.

Also, there is no need to reduce nitrogen in a tank. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate yes, but not nitrogen. Sorry t be picky but when someone is asking for advice I think it's important to be clear on the finer points.

Cycle is consistently proven to have no effect on the nitrogen cycle. I have never heard of anyone having any success with it.

Also, there is no need to reduce nitrogen in a tank. Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate yes, but not nitrogen. Sorry t be picky but when someone is asking for advice I think it's important to be clear on the finer points.

I and everyone who I have ever heard of have had great success with cycle. Proven by who?

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are forms of nitrogen. Ever had any thought about why its called the "Nitrogen cycle"?

I am not trying to pick a fight, it just appears as though I am being slightly more observant of info.

-Lynden

I and everyone who I have ever heard of have had great success with cycle. Proven by who?

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are forms of nitrogen. Ever had any thought about why its called the "Nitrogen cycle"?

I am not trying to pick a fight, it just appears as though I am being slightly more observant of info.

-Lynden

I have no intention in discussing this with you. If you would like to query me, feel free to send me a private message.

Why have all of my 24 or so feeder fishes (Ruby Reds) died in less then 2 hours from petstore to my home? My tank is a 5 gallon tank with filter. Brand new water in tank. I've also added 1 teaspon of Ick Guard (blue crystals) to my tank but all still have died...

- A filter needs mature water in order to be functional. The water will need to have had something to "feed" the filter in order to function. If you put a "new" filter into a tank without "feeding" it first, then it will be ineffective.

- You don't mention where the water has come from? Is it tap water? If so have you treated it with dechlorinator? This will remove chlorine from the water making it safe for fish, and will ensure the filter can function. Is it collected from outside? Then are you sure it is free from pollutants?

- 24 fish in a 5 gallon tank sounds like a lot. I would not be surprised if the fish were starved of oxygen in such a set up.

- You say you added "Ick guard" to your tank. Why? Did you see an outward manifestation of ich?

- Water parameters. Do you know the stats for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate? Also PH? Do you know the PH of the water at the store the fish came from? These may also be contributing factors.

I'm sorry you lost your fish.

A collegue of mine lent me a product called:

"Cycle"

It is a chemical that claims to have 500 billion bacteria... He told me to pour in a few cap fulls and it will do the job of the cycle...

Is "cycle" any good?

Thanks

A collegue of mine lent me a product called:

"Cycle"

It is a chemical that claims to have 500 billion bacteria... He told me to pour in a few cap fulls and it will do the job of the cycle...

Is "cycle" any good?

Thanks

Cycle is a crap, good for nothing. Bio-Spira would work, and Stability would possibily work (I never tried it b4 but some people had gotten good result from it).

Most reactions

Back