Algae Wafers

I just find my own wood, pricing in lfs can be ridiculous.

I boil smaller pieces to help waterlog them and release tannins, (heat makes the wood fibres open so water can penetrate easier, and tannis leach quicker) It does not break down the wood any faster having boiled it. Bigger pieces that i cant boil i just give them a scrub, pour boiling water over them, then dump them in my pond until they sink

sawickib said:

I think you might have the sinking aspect mixed...Malaysian sinks immediately due to its solid weight.  Mopani that I have had took forever to become waterlogged sufficiently to remain down.
hmmm, it was the opposite for me, the Malaysian sank but it took about a day

I just checked on the Fosters&Smith site to see if we have the names correct.  What they call Malaysian Driftwood is the heavy very dark brown (almost black sometimes) wood that I bought under that name, and it sinks immediately.  Comments under the customer reviews mention this too, so I think that's it.

The Mopani however may not be what I had.  There is a light, blond coloured wood, called grapewood, manzanita wood, maybe other names.  I may have had these years ago, it certainly floated for weeks.

sawickib said:
Im sure alasse would have much better advice than me since i never do it, i just scrub my pieces, soak them in water for a week and then add them to my tank, i think this is a good article to advise you on other options. 
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/driftwood.php

There are a couple of inaccurate/misleading things in that linked article.  First, if you intend collecting wood yourself, you must know what it is (tree species).  Some woods are highly poisonous submerged in an aquarium.  You want only hard woods like oak, beech, and some others.  Never soft woods such as conifers, cedar, etc, as they have saps that can kill aquatic life in an enclosed space.

Second, make sure the collected wood is completely dead and dry, meaning internally.  If the wood is still green, it contains fluids that can leech out.

Third, they mention a white fuzz and say it is harmless...not necessarily so.  The white is fungus, and some is harmless but some is highly toxic.  I have killed fish with this once, and know of others similar.  Without examination by a microbiologist to determine the fungus species, it is impossible to know.  I believe the fungus that comes out of grapewood is toxic, there may well be others.

Byron.

Most of my wood is eucalyptus tree or other natives....many i dont know what it is lol

Personally never come across white fungus on any wood that has caused any issues, other than it looking a bit unslightly until it goes away.

Sorry, im not meaning to give back to back messed up info, really not 
no.gif

I have had white fungus on my mopani wood, and my pleco and shrimp were eating it.... They survived but that does not mean all white molds are the same.

And Im not sure if they are labeled wrong or not tbh haha, but the mopani i have is so much heavier, and sank a lot easier for me. But the Malaysian sank quickly as well, so win win.

thanks guys
no not overstocked in the 10 gal.the 40 gal is cycling so no fish there.
i put a piece of cucumber in and turned the light out and about 30 min later
he had a go at it.
ron

Do you have 2 opaline gouramis in there? I suppose if your upgrading them to a 40 gallon its alright..

thanks guys
i ordered 2 pieces of wood from fosters&smith this morning.
my 10 gal has 2 blue (3 spot ) gourami 1 snail and 1 clown ( dwarf ) pleco.
i do plan on putting the two 3 spots in the 40 gal tank.
ron

Most reactions

Back