Albino Cory Replacement Sand

i dont have swords but i do have 2 potted and 1 planted one that i may take out as its pretty much almost dead, my planted ones are doing fine, the leaves reach about 1/2 way up my tank and i ask for about 3 inch because of how my planted ones roots are, slanted more of straight like the other 2 i have. So i need ot have enough weight on the root to make sure it doesnt float off. And for removing my fish, would i move them into like a bucket with my air pump and my filter, then do the substrate change or keep the fish in the tank and do the substrate change?

so what im going to do is when i get paid, i will go ahead and buy the new filter and the sand. Moving my fish to a bucket with an air pump so they dont die, then wait til the dust settles then put them in 

The main point in rinsing thoroughly to remove the silt is not so much for the fish. As Byron has said, doesn't hurt the fish, but it clogs filters and wears down impellers.
I rinsed a 50lb. bag clean in a five gallon bucket this morning in about 20 minutes.

I agree removing the fish to a bucket with an air stone is best. A lot less sressful on the fish.

would you reccomend a 5Ib bag for a 20 Gal tank or a 10-20Ib?

The deeper the sand, the more issues you may encounter.  In large tanks this is not so critical because things balance out, but in a small tank like a 20g this could cause issues in the substrate.  Once you plant the roots in the sand, bank it up a bit, then use a couple of small rocks at the base.  I don't know what plants you are intending, but as they establ;ish the roots will spread out and anchor the plant.

The Quikrete website in the US (in Georgia) has play sand in 50 lb. bags only.  
http://www.quikrete.com/ProductLines/SandPremiumPlay.asp
I don't know where you've seen the smaller bags, perhaps not this sand.

BaylorPerez said:

You do not want to get that type of sand.  It is "all purpose," and thus some or all of it might be rough.  "Paver" sand, "blasting" sand, and other names are also not good, due to the possible sharpness.  These construction-use sands are not refined like play sand.

Play Sand is highly refined, and each grain is smooth.  This is the only type of non-aquarium specific sand you want.

i was giving you the website of the store that has the play sand. Just i couldnt find the picture of the Ib bag when i did a quick search on ace hardware

Also i had noticed more of my snails have hatched from their eggs and are taking over my medical/breeder tank. Should i move them into my 20 gal tank or wait til they are atleast 2 months old(snail babys are about 1 month old now)

I use play sand as well. My corys love it. I also got it from Home Depot, usually when you're shopping for sand,especially at Home Depot, there's always at least one bag leaking, which gives you the opportunity to feel the sand for yourself so make sure it's nice and soft. 

Also, talking to my parents they want me to completly clean out my tank before i do the substrate change. How can i tell them this isnt a good idea as the things at the bottom of the tank have the bacteria needed for the ammonia and nitrite that may happen when i change the substrates

You're right, I would not advocate doing a complete clean of a tank if changing the substrate as you will be removing a lot of the bacterial goodness already.  When I've done this I've left and sludge in the bottom of the tank and have not cleaned the glass either.  I put the same water back in and did not do any filter maintenance either, to give everything the best chance possible.

Everything will have to come out of the tank to change the substrate, but just do not "clean" any of this, meaning the filter, wood, rock, plants.  With the filter, you can keep it running in the temporary "tank" holding the fish.

I wouldn't use the same water in the new tank, just siphon it out for the temporary holding tank/container.  There is nothing useful in old water, quite the opposite.  Using tank water in the temporary holding tank has the benefit of maintaining the same chemistry while the fish are in this temporary space which means less stress, but the completed tank with the sand should have fresh water, conditioned.  There will be ammonia and other pathogens in the old water and these are not beneficial in the new tank.

Byron.

its not a new tank, i just need to get my 1/2@ 1/2 substrate changed to a full sand substrate. So i do have to change the water but i need to not clean the tank bottom after i remove the current substrate.

But my parents(mom mostly) want me to as i said do a complete tank clean. Meaning removing everything from my tank and basically starting over with my tank but using the same filter that has aged before i get the new filter in(carbon mesh filter instead of a carbon cartridge filter)

BaylorPerez said:
Also, talking to my parents they want me to completly clean out my tank before i do the substrate change. How can i tell them this isnt a good idea as the things at the bottom of the tank have the bacteria needed for the ammonia and nitrite that may happen when i change the substrates
Tell them exactly what you just said here^.

thats what i did, but my mom is to stubborn as she said "when i was a kid i had my own tank(20+years ago), i had only 1 fish die within that tank so i think i know what im talking about."

and after that i asked, have you read any of the new information that has come out in the past 20+ years. she said no.

Yet she still wont take my advice as i have done more research and ive taken care of these fish longer than you have even though this tank(not this one specifically) was supposed to be a family tank. and yet im the only one taking care of these fish(to the best of my abilities as i havent gotten paid yet)  

Most reactions

Back