Do all albino corys school as long as they are the same color

Species of of otocinclus could be iffy with lower temps. Side photo available of your otos?

These two look suspiciously paleatum-ish. Longer pointed fins and slimmer build.
View attachment 349244

The rest look aenea.

Given those look paleatum, you will want to go even colder. Paleatum like it cold, so try for 75.

What other fish are in the tank?
I'm not saying your wrong but how is that possible if they all came from the same seller ?

I'm not saying your wrong but how is that possible if they all came from the same seller ?
Well, if you had to ask if they're all the same, it's possible they didn't know either. They're often sold as one another in stores. I would buy my old albino paleatum the same way, looking through albino aenea bins at the store

Well, if you had to ask if they're all the same, it's possible they didn't know either. They're often sold as one another in stores. I would buy my old albino paleatum the same way, looking through albino aenea bins at the store
Oh ok

If the seller also has a mix of albino aneus and paleatum and both are breeding and producing young, they might not even know themselves that they're producing albino variants of two different species. They're not hard to breed, no licence or expertise needed to produce and sell offspring.

If a store, mixed shipments of different species come in all the time, across a whole range of fish. Especially similar looking, very commonly kept species, and they're all being labelled with different common names too. There's no requirement for the wholesalers farming these fish nor the stores to use the scientific names and keep stock strictly segregated.

See? I said Cass would know & she does, with others' input too. Personally, I prefer natural color & fin-shaped fish whenever possible. I dislike the possibility of hybrid fish but it can be difficult to tell sometimes.

See? I said Cass would know & she does, with others' input too. Personally, I prefer natural color & fin-shaped fish whenever possible. I dislike the possibility of hybrid fish but it can be difficult to tell sometimes.
Luckily osteogaster aenea and hoplisoma paleatum are in totally different genuses/lineages and are not very likely to be able to hybridize easily anyways.

Now there are even more species in new genera. I have trouble keeping up with all the new 1s. Thanks Cass! I don't guarantee I'll remember but I think we've discussed before...Always new stuff to learn!

Now there are even more species in new genera. I have trouble keeping up with all the new 1s. Thanks Cass! I don't guarantee I'll remember but I think we've discussed before...Always new stuff to learn!
Don't feel bad. I'm still learning the new changes as well. Easier to start with the ones I own and then move onto the more commonly kept ones.

(I shouldn't tell you they just sorted out and recategorized some tetras now too, right?)

OMG, Cass! Not more genera to learn! OK, you're going to have to hold my hand while I try, with gentle corrections as needed. Patience please, old dog, new tricks? You are always so very helpful with my slow adaptations to new info. At least there isn't any circling...yet...

Attachments

• 20240910_092227.jpg
    20240910_092227.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 7
Here's one of them
Perfect! If they're all the same markings on the tail and have the white side stripe above the black, then you've got yourself otocinclus vittatus which has a wide range of temperatures. You can happily lower the temperature in this tank very well :)

Most reactions

Back