Ak77's Nano Journal

Excellent work AK. Very well thought out and executed.
I am learning a lot for when I eventually convince the better half that we need a bigger tank + sump! :D

LOL. I know the feeling me mate. I'd love a huge aquarium. The only problem is, if I came home with a 6ft tank...... I'd be sleeping in it that night -_-

I am learning a lot for when I eventually convince the better half that we need a bigger tank + sump! :D

LOL. I know the feeling me mate. I'd love a huge aquarium. The only problem is, if I came home with a 6ft tank...... I'd be sleeping in it that night -_-

lol.......are you reef safe??

ps: ordered those compact T5's. Thanks again for the help. :good:

lol.......are you reef safe??

ps: ordered those compact T5's. Thanks again for the help. :good:

Only in small doses :p . No problem, I hope they work well :good:

How big is the tank and also that live rock is strange never seen any like it!

I think its the yellow coralline on it that makes it look so strange. There is the normal purple on them, a dark maroon, a green, an orange too. I definitely need to get my CUC this weekend!!

*edit* Sorry Luke, the tank is approximately 40cm cubed. The sump is 355mm x 335mm x 425mm high. At the moment I think there is 35L in the sump, but I will probably up this more. There is almost as much in my sump as in my tank lol.

You're both quite right. I had a good old squint at it and it does like like its a sponge. It just looked so smooth I thought it was calcified. I think a trip to the opticians may be in order lol :blush:

Hi Seffie,

I injected a couple. Its actually pretty hard to do, as they aiptasia contract the moment you touch them. I did kill one but a couple of others seemed to survive. I went to the LFS yesterday afternoon and recruited some help. Rather than injecting the aiptasia, I thought it would be far more sporting and entertaining to let my new peppermint shrimp kill them :sly:

I've not checked the tank today, but will do so in a minute and see if there are any remaining.

Hi Seffie,

I injected a couple. Its actually pretty hard to do, as they aiptasia contract the moment you touch them. I did kill one but a couple of others seemed to survive. I went to the LFS yesterday afternoon and recruited some help. Rather than injecting the aiptasia, I thought it would be far more sporting and entertaining to let my new peppermint shrimp kill them :sly:

I've not checked the tank today, but will do so in a minute and see if there are any remaining.

Think it was a few days for me and they were gone.

They are ******* aren't they, they move real quick as well :crazy: so just when you think you have got them, there they are again :crazy:

How many peppermints did you get?

Seffie x

:fish:

Just the one. At nearly £12 I couldn't afford to get more. I was pretty shocked at the prices at my LFS. I've not been in there since I shut down my last tank and I was gob-smacked.

It cost me nearly £8 for two blue knuckle crabs, £6 for two trochus snails. I can get a CUC waaaaaaay cheaper on ebay even with the shipping. I was pretty disappointed with the selection too. Last time I went in there, there were some amazing fish. The most exciting thing I saw there was a dwarf flame angel... for £70 -_- .

The corals have leapt up by about £5 a go and again, I saw very little in the way of wow factor that they used to have.

I think the peppermint has munched one. I'll see how it progresses over the coming days.

Well it looks like the peppermint has been working its magic. The aiptasia have greatly decreased in number. Its not started on the ones on the other rock, so I might have to rearrange stuff to get it to venture further from its den.

Today I added 4 red legged hermits, a mithrax crab, another 3 trochus and this little fellow....

Conch.jpg

Rather than get a load of vibex snails, I opted for a conch. When I put him in the tank, he immediately burrowed into the sand. Then a few minutes later he reappeared and started eating the big patch of cyano that I have growing on the front of the tank. He's very active and should do a good job of keeping the lower portion of the acrylic clean as well as the sandbed and rocks too. Its really intersting to watch his "trunk" forrage about looking for something to eat.

Nice buy AK..gotta love their eyes,lol...good choice with the peppermint too as aip x, etc will take them out quickly but must people find after a few months several young aips will appear from the base of the exploded pest...pepps take em out and keep em out !! He will eventually work his way around the entire tank and eat em as he finds em..

Most reactions

Back