Adding Plants

dtaylor21184

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm wanting to add some plants to my tank. its about a 170l tank and don't want it too heavily planted, what plants whould i be looking at and how many should i be looking to order please just rough ideas for me starting out would be great thanks

Start by looking at undemanding plants; I recommend that you start with 8-10 different species, maybe include an Anubias, Java moss, a Hygrophila, an Amazon sword, a Crypt and a Java fern.

Sorry to jump in your thread here with more questions, dtaylor, but I also am trying to add some successful plants to my aquarium. The biggest problem I have seems to be securely planting them in the substrate without damaging them! Is there a secret to this or am I just uncoordinated?

Sorry to jump in your thread here with more questions, dtaylor, but I also am trying to add some successful plants to my aquarium. The biggest problem I have seems to be securely planting them in the substrate without damaging them! Is there a secret to this or am I just uncoordinated?

i don't mind you asking more questions as it'll cover things i haven't thought about yet

i think some plants need to be attached to bogwood and stones and some not covered completely but substrate i think but i'm not an expert far from it just what i've been reading

Java fern and anubias need to be attached to something, yes, as they'll rot if planted in the substrate.

It does take a bit of practice to plant plants without them floating off!

Make sure you dig a big enough hole, make sure your substrate is deep enough, and, if all else fails, get some bigger stones out of the garden to hold them down; part of the problem I've found is that a lot of the plants you buy don't have a very well developed root system (I'm not blaming the suppliers, btw; it's understandable, but it does make them harder to settle in).

You want to dig the hole and then hold the plant in with your thumb and forefinger, and then back-fill the hole with your other fingers or your other hand :)

My anubais is planted in my substrate, i have about 6 of them and they do fine. :)

Hi,

Newbie question.

Is it really that simple ? Simply place selected plants into gravel subtrate and then let them root into the gravel itself ? Would this work on a new tank thats only 5 weeks old ? Do you not have to feed these plants ? If not what do they feed on ???

John.

My anubais is planted in my substrate, i have about 6 of them and they do fine. :)
Well, it can work, as long as you bury only the roots and not the rhizome.

Hi,

Newbie question.

Is it really that simple ? Simply place selected plants into gravel subtrate and then let them root into the gravel itself ? Would this work on a new tank thats only 5 weeks old ? Do you not have to feed these plants ? If not what do they feed on ???

John.
Yes, it is that simple, if you have true aquatic plants. They get most of their nutrition by absorbing it from the water, rather than a soil like terrestrial plants do; the food they use is fish poo and wee; more or less the same as gardeners putting horse manure on their roses.
Of course, as with all gardening some plants (like weeds!) are easy and will grow away quite happily; others (like orchids) need more special care, lights and fertilizers and that sort of thing.

Yes, it is that simple, if you have true aquatic plants. They get most of their nutrition by absorbing it from the water, rather than a soil like terrestrial plants do; the food they use is fish poo and wee; more or less the same as gardeners putting horse manure on their roses.
Of course, as with all gardening some plants (like weeds!) are easy and will grow away quite happily; others (like orchids) need more special care, lights and fertilizers and that sort of thing.
Also the plants should have any weights and pots removed, then be spread out a bit for better growth ;)

Most reactions

Back