Adam's 125L Project

AdAndrews

Marine Enthusiast!
Reaction score
Hi guys, thought id start a journal as my tank is now into marines,

It started off as freshwater and then upping the s.g. every week via water changes has meant the bacteria in the filter can adapt and cope with the puffer waste.

Tank: 125l(33USG) Fluval roma 125 in black/silver.

Filtration: tetratec ex1200, soon to be adding live rock.

Heating: external hydor 300w

Powerheads: Koralia 1

Protein Skimmer: V2 300 Compact

Lighting: 2x20w t8 + moonlight LED strip

Decor: Artificial reef rock(temporary) and Coral sand

I am now using RO water for the weekly maintenance, and will soon be adding:

Koralia evolution 900

t6 lighting, and additional unit(15w)

When the water changes have been done using RO water for a few weeks, and S.G is raised to 1.024 i will purchase my live rock(15kg)

Here are a few pictures:

DSCF1640.jpg

DSCF1639.jpg

DSCF1638.jpg

thanks,

Adam

Really looking forward ot this Adam, we haven't had a puffer in the marine section for ages :good:

Seffie x

love it, Ads!

i wish i could have the time and inclination to do something like this. Soooooooo tempted to convert to S/W. I have even priced up to convert my Trigon!

how is the koralia evo?

beter than the old ones? quiet, efficient?

Very nice, you have obviously put a lot of time and thought into this, looking forward to seeing progress pics, will you be adding any more fish ?
What kind of puffer is that, looks cute and clown fish are lovely...
Well done mate, job well done :good:
:fish:

how is the koralia evo?

beter than the old ones? quiet, efficient?

havnt recieved it yet mate, should be here maybe tuesday, i will let you know :good:

Soooooooo tempted to convert to S/W. I have even priced up to convert my Trigon!

Go on, you know you want to :devil:

Seffie x

thats the view i looked from lol, i just wanted to do this so bad, im enjoying marines very much, so much more things to research into, im learning things all the time!

Very nice, you have obviously put a lot of time and thought into this, looking forward to seeing progress pics, will you be adding any more fish ?
What kind of puffer is that, looks cute and clown fish are lovely...
Well done mate, job well done :good:
:fish:

thanks, i have researched alot, did so for about 5 months before purchasing the tank, looking into the longer term aspects of things i will need etc.

the puffer is a green spotted puffer, tetraodon nigroviridis, i also have the 2 clowns, they are about 1.5" so tiny atm,

i plan to add another fish, or maybe 2, not sure yet, looking at royal gramma/scarlet hawkfish/gobies/bi-colour blenny

and then the plan is to add a few soft corals and see how it goes, most likely start with mushrooms, and then will try various things such as toadstool, xenia, and a sun coral(if i think i will have the time to feed it)

thanks all!

this is interesting as I have two green spot puffers(need to sell one) in another tank with a high sg. How do they get on with corals and the like? and full marine?

this is interesting as I have two green spot puffers(need to sell one) in another tank with a high sg. How do they get on with corals and the like? and full marine?
well, for me it was touch and go how he would be with fish, but hes fine, no agression wat so ever, just really curious, i think its the same with corals, but i wouldnt add one straight to a reef, just incase he starts nibbling, and obviously shrimps and snails are a no go- to a certain extent.

I think the last month or so, his colours have come out lovely, may have something to do with the higher s.g or maybe just him getting a little more mature.

thanks

edit: should mention that, these fish can be kept in full marine as im doing, their optimum is moderately brackish to full marine, and although i kept him in freshwater and low brackish, it was only for a short period of time.

havnt recieved it yet mate, should be here maybe tuesday, i will let you know :good:

Soooooooo tempted to convert to S/W. I have even priced up to convert my Trigon!

Seffie x

thats the view i looked from lol, i just wanted to do this so bad, im enjoying marines very much, so much more things to research into, im learning things all the time!

Are you enjoying marine more so than plants? See i only have the one tank (the wife won't let me have anymore). I would be gutted if i didn't get on with S/W. I enjoy plants, but feel i need a new challenge.

cheers Aandrews

I won;t add mine to my reef but I;ll keep his sg high he seems happy enough,

Seffie x

Are you enjoying marine more so than plants? See i only have the one tank (the wife won't let me have anymore). I would be gutted if i didn't get on with S/W. I enjoy plants, but feel i need a new challenge.

well, its early days but i think i am, although again its the factor thats there are so many things to find out, im glad i have done planted tanks, and still run 2 of them.

a high tech planted tank costs about the same as a similarly sized marine tank, and it requires more maintenance imo.

thanks

Heres a few pics :)

the skimmer hangs on the side of the tank, the only modification needed was to cut down the length of the hood flap so that would fit into postion.

DSCF1645.jpg

We managed to find a home for the RO unit, it is fixed behind the unit in our utility, and the TDS meter is reading 0.

DSCF1648.jpg

DSCF1652.jpg

And, a shot of the whole tank and cabinet(excuse the reflections please) :crazy:

DSCF1646.jpg

thanks,
Adam

Most reactions

Back