Acceptable betta tankmates

hello kitty said:
they are fine at the mo balas still real small but im rehoming him soon anyway
Please don't take offense, but that could change in a heartbeat. After months of having my betta in a community tank I went home to find two of my other fish dead and he was going after a third one before I got him out. I also had one of my zebra danios die the next day from what I believe were injuries from the betta that I didn't notice the day before. I have kept bettas with other fish off and on for over 30 years and never had any problems, but I will never keep bettas with any other fish again. I know a lot of people think they are "only fish" and if one gets killed they just go out and buy another one, but if you do really care about them, get them out of danger before it is too late. :sad:

hello kitty- i read your tank specs you need to fix that . remove the betta,they do not go w/ :gouramis,tetras,or sharks. you need to remove the betta imediatly the will kill him the sharks are extreamly agressive ,the tetras are major nippers and if you put a Gourami w/a betta il give you hell. they kill bettas almost all of the stuff in your tank is bad for a betta only one ok are the corys. please dont take this offencably but:DO YOUR RESERCH BEFORE YOU BUY!

Hey, I just decided to nonchalantly bump this back up because I have seen some people lately with unacceptable betta tankmates. Maybe this will be a little hint.

OrkyBetta said:
Hey, I just decided to nonchalantly bump this back up because I have seen some people lately with unacceptable betta tankmates. Maybe this will be a little hint.
Hey Orkybetta... is this me? The lfs said they'd be fine together since the h. ras. are peaceful and my betta happens to not even hardly flair at my other male betta. And so far they have been... they've actually been playing in the current together! :blink:
Anyway, just wondering...

OrkyBetta said:
Hey Orkybetta... is this me? The lfs said they'd be fine together since the h. ras. are peaceful and my betta happens to not even hardly flair at my other male betta. And so far they have been... they've actually been playing in the current together! :blink:
Anyway, just wondering...

Edit: it just double-posted somehow... sorry!

No, it isn't you. There have just been a lot of references lately about tankmates. Don't worry, it wasn't aimed at anyone. ;)

Well, just to let you know, Frankie decided to show his true nature and started flaring at the others in the tank at dinner time last night. So, he was pulled out and put back in his 1-gal bowl.
I hate to tease him with so much freedom like that, only to take it away, but at least I did try. I'd rather not take a chance on him killing my other fish though. :(

He should adjust to the one gallon. Just watch him for signs of depression. Trust me, he'd be a lot less happy if he lived in fear. B)

If he did get depressed, try putting something fun in his tank, maybe put in some colloidal silver, and spend some time in the room with him. Make sure he eats and he should come out of it just fine.

I've referred a couple people to this thread over the past little while, but this is the first occasion I've had to ask a question myself. :p

Bearing in mind that this is completely a whim of mine, and that I have not yet taken so much as a step in this direction (read, don't jump all over me ;) ) I was wondering about mixing 4 female bettas with 6 or so harlequin rasboras in a well planted, liberally-caved 10g. Would they be able to coexist, or would the HQNs be a bit too peaceful for the community?

Again, this is just a thought I had, and if that wouldn't work then I won't be disappointed in the least. I just saw some HQNs recently and wondered, is all. If not, I'll just wait till I can afford another tank :)

I have read this entire thread, which was quite an undertaking, and would like to put my own two sense worth.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the smaller members of the rasbora family. I have worked with both bridget rasboras and harlequin rasboras, and have found that they have done quite well with bettas. I think they work for a few reasons. First, they are relatively drab (though both fish with proper care and light will display a lovely orange irredescent (sp) wash, especially the males). Second, they are schooling fish who are less active than the danios. Third, I have never seen rasboras nip, at least the ones I've kept, but the key would be keeping the rasboras in a school of at least six. If you can find them in a store, bridget rasboras are even smaller, only an inch full-grown, and quite a few can live in a 10-gallon, observing all tank rules, of course! They have proven to be too fast for a betta, and surprisingly long-lived. My bridget rasboras are 2 going on three! I wish I had more of these guys, but I only have the three I started with, as the LFS where I got them stopped bringing them in. :-( Just thought I'd contribute.

This was a great thread and a fun read. :)

Most reactions

Back