Absolute Beginner

birchdude

Reaction score
First ever post from a complete beginner.

We have just bought my son a Biorb tank as he has wanted to start to keep fish a while now. I am just after some advice on what people would recommend we keep. Fish that are easy to care for. Look nice and preferably unusual.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

welcome to the forum!

the first thing you will need to understnad is how to correctly set up the tank and make it safe for fish....and that wont be written in the Biorb manual

in our beginners section there are some topics that talk about 'cycling' a new tank. Have a good read of those first - what this process does is establish the required bacteria colony in your filter so that it can then process the poisonous waste that fish produce.

welcome to the forum :good: the type of fish you get depends on the size of your tank as well as other factors like do you have a heater?

All the comments are equally important except the cycling of filter.
Without this your experience is grim!
please visit and ask questions about your filter.It is the single most important piece of equipment you will own,
Without a full understanding of its role your fish and you WILL suffer.
Zoddy has started now I will finish.
If you chose to ignore the PROPER CYCLING of your filter please DO NOT KEEP FISH!!

I now leave you with the best link you will ever get as a new keeper Fish bible
You really have no choice but to check it out. If you put fish into your tank without.. you WILL work way to hard at this.
welcome, ASK QUESTIONS

If you chose to ignore the filter please DO NOT KEEP FISH!!

You really have no choice but to check it out. If you put fish into your tank without.. you WILL work way to hard at this.

easy there, don't start harrassing the poor man before he's even had a chance to post a reply!

If you chose to ignore the filter please DO NOT KEEP FISH!!

easy there, don't start harrassing the poor man before he's even had a chance to post a reply!
I put my tail between my legs and beg for... well anyway , it wasn't a personal attack but rather a enthusiastic nudge towards the only logical path.
Apologies

I think sometimes new fishkeepers can be frightened off and blinded by the sience.

Just read up a bit and give it a go, we all make mistakes and learn from them, welcome to the forum, good luck and keep us posted.

Be careful not to overfeed and always keep them hungry for more has always worked for me !

Congratulations! It is such a wonderful and fascinating hobby. As it is for your son I would HIGHLY recommend that you start a fishless cycle (there is a wealth of info on this) so you can eliminate the risk of heartbreak and have a great positive start to keeping fish. Everyone has to start at the beginning so if things don't always go quite right don't be too hard on yourself, we have all made mistakes and learned from our actions. Read up as much as you can and if unsure of anything or if you have concerns never be afraid to ask on forums etc for help no matter how trivial it may be, most people will be more than happy to help you.
There are a whole wealth of beautiful species to keep. Just make sure whatever you decide to buy will not outgrow your tank, in shops you will see many amazing little fish but staff might not always inform you of the monsters that they can quickly become.
Any fish that you see/like you will be able to find min/max sizes/tank sizes/conditions through the internet. Always research your tank friends instead of buying spur of the moment.
Also be prepared to wait until your tank is fully cycled and ready for you fish, this part of the process can test your patience but is so crucial in keeping the best interests and health of your fish in the long term. Also (not sure of the age of your son) it would be a nice idea to share,learn with him and show/teach him how the different stages of getting your water cycled and maintainence of keeping your eco system.
Enjoy and remember help is always there for you!

p.s I would highly advise that you buy a decent test kit, these things last a long time and are a vital part of keeping fish and seeing what is going on in your tank that isn't visible to the eye. They are widely available and I would personally recommend API freshwater master test kit. You can get cheap strip tests but in my opinion are highly unaccurate.

you could depending on how big the tanks is you could put in a calico telescope goldfish or a twintail halfmoon betta but NEVER TOGETHER!

Most reactions

Back