A Minor Fish Question

Reaction score
Danio. Is it:

Da-NEE-oh

or

DAH-nee-oh

Just a minor conflict I ran into yesterday. (I say it the first way, the guy at the LFS said it the second way.)

And how do you say cichlid? (If I even spelled it right)

I say dan ee o, and I have read that it is pronounced sick lid, appropriate because they aint my favourite fish, but a lot of people do like them. dan-ee-oes are ace though.

I'm guessing the "proper" pronunciation of Danio varies considerably depending upon which side of the Atlantic you're on.

Yes in a tank with fify danios, I want that one works great. I have always called them dane e ohs. As for sick lids that is the most correct pronounciation.

just a question to all you dane-ee-ohs, are you from across the pond? It's just I have never heard that pronunciation over here.

I would say dan-e-os/dan-y-os

and sick lids

:D

I pronounce it "danyos" I also pronouce cichlid "chichlids" (in my head of course)

Danio = Dan ee o
Cichlid = Cich lid

Not sure what the proper pronounciation of cichlid is but Sicklid really doesn't sound right.

Not sure what the proper pronounciation of cichlid is but Sicklid really doesn't sound right.

I don't know the correct pronunciation of dan ee o but I can assure you from many sites I have read about cichlids that it is most definately pronounced sick-lid. mostly sites dedicated to cichlids due to them having lots of ideas for DIY backgrounds on them.

yeah cichlid is definately sick-lid

i say danio dan-e-o

guys at our lfs always laugh at me trying to pronounce latin names.

was trying to talk to them about cories the other day, resorted to pointing at the pics in a book!

yeah cichlid is definately sick-lid

i say danio dan-e-o

guys at our lfs always laugh at me trying to pronounce latin names.

was trying to talk to them about cories the other day, resorted to pointing at the pics in a book!
I know that feeling Miss Wiggle. That's probably why I own fish that everyone knows by their common name!
My partner wants a Malawi tank in the near future, can't wait to learn some of them names......

Most reactions

Back