Papa John's Dang Near Killed Me

Ok that's an exaggeration, but OMG man, I thought my mouth was going to catch fire!

<minor rant>
My wife and I have been focused on eating right and have lost a lot of weight as a result. Pizza has not been part of that. However, this evening I ordered some Papa Johns just because. It's not that great, but it's ok and I was just wanting a quick bite.

Anyway, they always put one or 2 banana peppers in the box with the pizza. I like those, so I always eat them. Tonight I popped the pepper into my mouth and the first thing I noticed was that it was very chewy. Then it got VERY hot! OMG y'all, I have eaten a lot of banana peppers but this thing was way off the charts LOL.

I drank water, then I chewed ice, then I drank more water, chewed more ice....anyway, I'm not dead and my nose has almost stopped running, but I will be looking at those dadgum peppers a little more warily - or maybe that was just a hint that I don't need this dang pizza- way better pizza out there anyway.
</minor rant>

hope your night (or morning or day) is going well, and thank you for reading my little foot-stamping rant.
Hello Muddy. Sorry man! I feel for you, especially later on!!!

Last edited:
Speaking of the black pearl chilli. I gave a plant to a friend who had a couple of dogs. One of the dogs used to eat the chillis off the plant and didn't even break a sweat. Everyone who tried them said they burn but this dog used to go and eat any it could find. It was a nice dog but obviously didn't have any sensors in its mouth :)

My sister stocks her bird feeders with hit pepper oil mix in. The squirrels won't raid the bird feeders any more. Hot peppers affect most mammals but not birds. The bepper evolved to attract bird which scatter the seeds widely. The hot portion of the bobber evolved to keep mammals away which don't scatter the seeds as well.

My sister stocks her bird feeders with hit pepper oil mix in. The squirrels won't raid the bird feeders any more. Hot peppers affect most mammals but not birds. The bepper evolved to attract bird which scatter the seeds widely. The hot portion of the bobber evolved to keep mammals away which don't scatter the seeds as well.
That is the coolest thing I’ve heard this month. Keep them coming.

I hope I can have feeders this year. I haven't seen any more avian influenza victims lying around since last Spring. I won't need hot peppers as the bobcat has been on his rounds, and we're temporarily squirrel-less.
I will keep that in mind though. That's really good info. I've never been a fan of that pizza chain, but at least we know that if you open the pizza box, you won't get a leaping squirrel in your face.

Hello Steven. It's funny to me that you'd post this. My wife used this oil and other hot oils several years ago to discourage our squirrel population from raiding the bird feeders. They were unaffected and continued to make a mess of the feeders. She uses a baffle over the feeders and has had a bit more success. But, not total success!

My dad had a big feeder on a 4X4 wooden post, after trying “everything” he en d up wrapping the post in uninsulated copper wire, and plugged it into a switched outlet, then sat by his picture window, next to the switch, and turned it on, when one as climbing the post… shocked the squirrel off the post, and somehow the community of squirrels learned… he only had to shock 2 of them and they never came back

I love spicy Thai food. Chicken basil is my favorite. It's fairly "hot" but delicious and nutritious.

The hot mustard at Chinese restaurants around me are pretty "hot" as well. I sometimes dip chicken in the hot mustard but "just a little."

Last edited:
Mexican weather report.
Chili today,
Hot tamale.

or

I was in Mexico City for my 16th Bday last century. It was a trip with my parents and we went out for dinner to a very top notch restaurant. I was offered Guacamole for the first time in my life. What I did not know when I took a huge mouthful was that is was about a hot as anything can be made. 3 hours later in the hotel room I was still trying to put out the fire on my tongue.

Hello Steven. It's funny to me that you'd post this. My wife used this oil and other hot oils several years ago to discourage our squirrel population from raiding the bird feeders. They were unaffected and continued to make a mess of the feeders. She uses a baffle over the feeders and has had a bit more success. But, not total success!

10, those Colorado squirrels like Mexican and Thai food.

I've always heard about capsaicin being used to deter squirrels and racoons, but sadly I don't think it will do much against my starling hoard...

Most reactions

Back