A few questions regarding a new filter and heater

cdr06

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently noticed after my platy giving birth that my current filter (Tetra Filterbox 300) is not suitable for my (15g) tank, it is bulky and easy for fish to get stuck behind, something which has never happened until recently when my fish are attempting to eat the fry, this has caused a lot of stress in my tank as they have literally been wedged against the glass at times. For this reason and the fact I am a teen with a low budget, I am likely going to purchase another filter and a heater (since the heater is built into the filterbox)

Firstly the filter, aside from the current one is bulky, it also seems pretty ineffective as the filter isn't really exposed to the tank and is instead in a box which water has to flow in first, this means I am seeing particles floating around my tank, affecting my waters clarity. Also the fact where they want you to replace the cartridge every month (though mine rarely survive that long without clogging), something which works out quite expensive in the long run. I have been looking at filters and based on price and reviews this will likely be the NICREW 380lhr filter. I have chosen this filter due to a higher flow rate than my current one, and also the fact aside from the sponge, it contains a basket where you can out whatever media you'd like. Obviously due to the urgency of the situation with my current filter I'd like to remove it straight away and put this new one in, but I don't want to lose my beneficial bacteria. My first question is whether I could put it in straight away then inside the basket, put in the 'bioballs' that are in a net inside my current filter (which should be established) then remove the old one? Or should I leave it running with my old one for a few days first?

My second question is regarding my heater, currently the heater supplied with my tank is preset to 25 degrees, which is not changeable. I am stocked with platy and danios, both of which I have read, prefer temperatures of around 22 degrees. Since I'd be getting a new heater which would be settable, would it be safe to remove the old 25 degree one and replace it with one set to 22 degrees straight away? My worry is that because they are now used to 25, that the water cooling to 22 may shock them. Or should I perhaps go down in 1 degree increments over the span of a few days? Or maybe just leave it at 25 since they are now used to it?

Appreciate your thoughts on this, thanks.

The filter - it is simplest to put the old media inside the new filter. If the new filter contains more media than the old one, fill up the gaps with new media.
The Nicrew filter I've found on line has square sponges and boxes containing carbon. If that's the one you re looking at, put the carbon in the cupboard and your old media where they say to put the carbon. You don't need to run carbon full time, it's main use is for removing medication when treatment has finished.

I would get an adjustable heater. If your fish ever get whitespot heat is the safest treatment so you would need to turn the temperature up to 30 deg C for 2 weeks.
If you swapped the heater for one set at 22 deg C, the water would cool slowly down to that temperature.
Adjustable heaters rarely heat to the exact temperature on the dial. The best way to set it is to use a thermometer, the kind that go in the water not a stick on the outside one, and monitor the temperature adjusting the dial over a few hours to get the temp you need.

The filter - it is simplest to put the old media inside the new filter. If the new filter contains more media than the old one, fill up the gaps with new media.
The Nicrew filter I've found on line has square sponges and boxes containing carbon. If that's the one you re looking at, put the carbon in the cupboard and your old media where they say to put the carbon. You don't need to run carbon full time, it's main use is for removing medication when treatment has finished.

I would get an adjustable heater. If your fish ever get whitespot heat is the safest treatment so you would need to turn the temperature up to 30 deg C for 2 weeks.
If you swapped the heater for one set at 22 deg C, the water would cool slowly down to that temperature.
Adjustable heaters rarely heat to the exact temperature on the dial. The best way to set it is to use a thermometer, the kind that go in the water not a stick on the outside one, and monitor the temperature adjusting the dial over a few hours to get the temp you need.
Hello, thanks for your response!

Regarding the Nicrew filter, the carbon that comes with the filter is meant to be placed inside the 'basket' inside the filter. This basket is said in the instructions to be able to be used for any media of your choice which is the reason I am purchasing. The problem with using my old filters media is that the cartridges are a large size, and would not fit the filter. My idea was to place the 'bioballs' which are said to be large surface area balls for the settlement of beneficial bacteria, in the basket as they should already be covered in BB. I'm just curious if this would be enough or not?

Also for the heater, you believe it would be fine if I was to let the water temperature cool down to 22?

Thanks again.

Can you not cut the old ones down so they fit in the new filter? The more established filter media you get in there the better surely.

Cut the cartridges open and throw away the carbon, then cut the fabric off the frame and squeeze that into the new filter. If necessary, leave out one of the sponges. In a couple of months it will be OK to remove the cartridge bags and put the sponge in.

If the baskets for carbon are not sealed (it's hard to tell from the photos) they are the perfect place for your old ceramic medium.

Most reactions

Back