A Big Molly

AstonN24vantage

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi there. today i went out and bought a sunset fire molly. i decided to cause some trouble and get the most pregnant one that i could find, but now i have an issue. i don't think she's pregnant enough. it is 8 oclock and i put her in the breeding trap at 2. nothing has come out of her backside, but her anal area is opened and shes very wide and ball shaped. i put her in the breeding trap when i got home. any advice? here she is:

Attachments

• 1011102000 3.jpg
    1011102000 3.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 1011102010 2.jpg
    1011102010 2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 29
Patience my friend...

Some fish just take longer than others.

Bless her.

Stress dosn't help. it will make her hold off giving birth.

Just let her settle.
Does she have to be in that tiny box, that won't be helping the stress levels.

...and if she's only been in there a few hours the tank light should really be off as that is another stress-factor for new fish.

Athena

well shes still alive but no babies! i feel like as shes in that "tiny box" she is slowly getting stressed and dying. she is ready, but im concerned that im waiting her too long.

any advice to that? she wants to get out, but she is def. ready for babies! should i just release her, buy some plants that float then when she has babies take the babies and put them in the breeder?

Firstly, CALM DOWN! WE DON'T RESPOND TO SENTENCES LIKE THIS!

Secondly, I personally hate those little traps and I would remove her from there. Perhaps the babies would be better to be put in there after she has them, so you can keep an eye on them.

Thirdly, turn the lights off, if she's stressed by lights, she's not going to give birth as most fish prefer to give birth at night, when there is less chance of being attacked by a predator.

I agree.
Let her out of the box. Turn tanks lights out.
Float a plastic plants at the top of the tank for the babies. They will hide there.

How is she today bless her.

shes still alive. i just feel bad. maybe she just didnt feel ready today :(. thank you anyway. going to a postage place soon, it is right near my lfs.

yeah sorry forgot to mention. i was nervous in the 1st few minutes with her in there. how could i go on for 2 1/2 days?

yeah sorry forgot to mention. i was nervous in the 1st few minutes with her in there. how could i go on for 2 1/2 days?
thats good then :)
i would leave her out of the box entirely and not put her in again. at all.
leave the box floating in the tank ready for when she drops her fry so you dont have to worry about finding it and sorting it out when the fry appear, it will be ready to just pop the fry in when you find them and manage to catch them.

use something to cover the filter inlet to stop any fry getting sucked up - an old stocking slid up over the bottom seems to be the general tip from people.

what other fish do you have in the same tank as her? or is she just on her own?
lots of floating plants and hiding places for the new fry would be useful too.

i would just wait. check carefully every morning to see if you can see any fry. fish generally like to drop fry at night. first thing in the morning will be when you will be most likely to see fry.

Most reactions

Back