8 Gallon Nano

countdown

Reaction score
Well this is my first SW tank, so excuse all the questions :blush:

The tank is a aquaone 380 with matching stand.

built in trickle filter in the hood (will contain LR rubble and ultiphos)

maxijet powerhead 600

interpet 50W heater.

11w power compact (think I will upgrade this to 24w power compact)

And all the other extras that go with having a SW tank :rolleyes:

Here's a few pics of how it so far.

marine_start_up_pics_010__Medium_.jpg

I just got the Live rock in yesterday

marine_start_up_pics__LR_added__006__Medium_.jpg

Well i done some water testing today with salifert test kits and i got my DIY auto top up working.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
NitrAte 1 (i done this test twice theres definately a small reading)
PH 7.7

SG 1.025
temp 78

Is the temp ok at 78? it seems stable at this.
Oh and some Clean up crew suggestions please.

The PH is very low, does this begin to sort itself out during the cycling process?

Ohhhhh its exciting
:hyper:

Ross

looking good - I'm running the same tank ;)

I considered the live rock in the overhead filter idea too - but I didnt feel it stayed wet enough in there...

FYI - you can actually get 2x 24W in the hood ;)

What kind of substrate are you using? Usually, aragonite will help keep that pH where it needs to be.

looking good - I'm running the same tank ;)

I considered the live rock in the overhead filter idea too - but I didnt feel it stayed wet enough in there...

FYI - you can actually get 2x 24W in the hood ;)

The LR in the filter are very small pieces so are pretty much submersed in water. The over head filter also seems pretty useful for running phospate remover ( I havent got this in yet, but will soon).

2x24W :hyper: . Didnt think you would manage to get two in there. Is it the Interpet PC starters you are running? Do you have and pics of the lights in the hood?

Thanks Russel

What kind of substrate are you using? Usually, aragonite will help keep that pH where it needs to be.

Its not arognite, it was a very fine coral reef gravel/sand the LFS had put in bags themselves. I looked at arognite and Live sand but couldnt bring myself to fork out £20 when all i need is literally a couple of handfulls. If its going to help though might need to look at getting some.

Thanks

hey ithink you have the same substrate as me. Does it have some small rounded shardy bits and reall tiny shells in? if it does then it is aragonite based just not the sugar grain style

My start up thread has got details in it...
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...9503&st=32#

you'll need to do a bit of DIY to get them in there...

It was nearly a year ago - but you'll need to remove the 11W and the wiring etc for it... take the "reflector" out and flatten it - cut the plastic raised screw mounts down, cut the reflector to a new shape, and fit the clips ffo rhte PC's

They are 2 x 24W - but interpet dont do a 2x24W driver - so they are running off of a 2x36W.

The only problem I can see doing it to yours is that you are using the filter... I've sealed the filter and used it as an area it hide wireing and to hold 2 60mm (might be 50mm) fans to cool the lights you might have to vent out of the top of the hood and remove the reflector...

For anyone interested in this setup - mine is for sale - mature and fully running ;)

Nice setup mate :good:

78 is pretty much perfect, you'll probably have difficulties keeping it that low in the summer though especially if you increase the lighting.

I would recomend going for the better lighting to increase your coral options even though we have to wait for the cycle to finish and get those parameters at tath sweeeet 0 :good:

How many gallons is that tank BTW?

My start up thread has got details in it...
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...9503&st=32#

you'll need to do a bit of DIY to get them in there...

It was nearly a year ago - but you'll need to remove the 11W and the wiring etc for it... take the "reflector" out and flatten it - cut the plastic raised screw mounts down, cut the reflector to a new shape, and fit the clips ffo rhte PC's

They are 2 x 24W - but interpet dont do a 2x24W driver - so they are running off of a 2x36W.

The only problem I can see doing it to yours is that you are using the filter... I've sealed the filter and used it as an area it hide wireing and to hold 2 60mm (might be 50mm) fans to cool the lights you might have to vent out of the top of the hood and remove the reflector...

For anyone interested in this setup - mine is for sale - mature and fully running ;)

You dont happen to just want to sell me your hood with lighting then do you :shout:

Thanks for posting the thread up - just the inspiration i was after. I stripped the lights last night, to see what sort of room there was to play with, i think i may keep the 11W and install a 24W in with it. I dont know how going to install fans - theres no room to install them internally, and i would look fairly ugly if i just install them on top of the hood.

I know you normally install 2 fans, air in - air out. Would it wok with 1 fan? just pulling hot air out? i could install that on the side of the hood (you dont really see that side as its close to the wall)

Nice setup mate :good:

78 is pretty much perfect, you'll probably have difficulties keeping it that low in the summer though especially if you increase the lighting.

I would recomend going for the better lighting to increase your coral options even though we have to wait for the cycle to finish and get those parameters at tath sweeeet 0 :good:

How many gallons is that tank BTW?

Thanks you :good: The tank is 8 gallon (title of the thread, lol)

WTG. Just take your time...go slowly....don't rush anything...avoid the instant reef syndrome. :hi: SH

Thanks steelhealr

Well heres the water parameters.

NH4 0
NO2 0
NO3 2.5
PH 8

Its been 8 days now and i havent seen a trace of ammonia or nitrite. Is it possible that its cycled? :/

The LR is looking well. The tank seems very clean, dont seem to have diatoms (sp?) or anthing else on the glass or substrate.

Heres some picys ( I know you lot like pics :nod: )

marinestartuppics1weekold004Medium.jpg

marinestartuppicsLRadded006Medium.jpg

There seems to be a lots a green spiral things coming from the rock, is it just algae?

marinestartuppics1weekold012Medium.jpg

marinestartuppics1weekold014Medium.jpg

I seem to have lots of little white specs crawling / swimming aroung the tank, are these copepods? You can make them out in this pic in the water.

marinestartuppics1weekold015Medium.jpg

Thanks guys :)

Looks great so far :D. Copepods, Diatom algae, and Chaetomorpha macro algae in those pics. I also see a tiny bit of hair algae in that final picture. Get yourself some Iron Oxide phosphate remover like Rowaphos to stay ahead of any phosphates that may become fuel for the hair algae. The best solution is prevention of the nutrient that fuels it :D

Looks good so far, cant wait to see the colors pop when you add more lighting :D

Looks great so far :D. Copepods, Diatom algae, and Chaetomorpha macro algae in those pics. I also see a tiny bit of hair algae in that final picture. Get yourself some Iron Oxide phosphate remover like Rowaphos to stay ahead of any phosphates that may become fuel for the hair algae. The best solution is prevention of the nutrient that fuels it :D

Looks good so far, cant wait to see the colors pop when you add more lighting :D

Yeah i think theres definately hair algae towards the very top of the LR. I'll get some Ultiphos ordered :good:

Yeah the lighting will be upgraded, just a little slower than i would like, funds are low :lol:

Most reactions

Back