75 Gallon

Sadrienne

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not new to the hobby but a friend of my dad's is, and he recently aquired what we believe is a (about) 75 gallon tank.

He would like stocking ideas.
I'm not sure if he wants more of a peaceful community tank or more large and agressive, but I know he would like a variety of ideas, so please post some :)

I've really never had anything larger than 40 gallons, so I'm asking y'all for some suggestions.

thanks so much! :)

planted, tetras, cories, gourami, a form of a dwarf cichlid

Its what i did and i love it.

yes, its a krib, a type of dwarf cichlids, its not one of those super agressive lake malawi or victoria or something like that cichlid. Bolivian rams, german blue rams, cockatoo cichlids, these are all dwarfs that most of the time arent too violent. My krib does nip sometimes but the fish heal on themselves, its getting less and less now though.

maybe one oscar, and a few silver dollars? ;)

thats what i would do if my turtle wasnt living in my 75 gallon.

I have to agree with Musho3210's idea for stocking a 75 gallon tank since I also had a similar stocking in a past planted tank - especially with the krib sentiment because they are one of the better colored FW fish IMHO. However, based upon my own experience with them and from what I have read/heard from others, kribs can have a similar 'bad attitude' that other cichlids are well known for; particularly when mating occurs. With my kribs though, I found that if no male was present, the females were relatively docile and seemed to get along well with my other community fish...besides, I think the females are the more brightly colored on a regular basis (but could be wrong...only had one male, and only had him for less than a month). On the other hand, I do have a cockatoo cichlid and love love love the almost fire-like color/patterns on its dorsal and tail fins (click HERE to see mine if you haven't seen one before)

yes, its a krib, a type of dwarf cichlids, its not one of those super agressive lake malawi or victoria or something like that cichlid. Bolivian rams, german blue rams, cockatoo cichlids, these are all dwarfs that most of the time arent too violent. My krib does nip sometimes but the fish heal on themselves, its getting less and less now though.

That's awesome.. I saw some of those german blue rams today.... They are to die for! So I could get like 3 german rams adn 6 corydoras for my 10gl and I would be straight?

That's awesome.. I saw some of those german blue rams today.... They are to die for! So I could get like 3 german rams adn 6 corydoras for my 10gl and I would be straight?

i wouldn't put that many rams in a 10gl tank. they can be aggressive to each other if not to other types of fish. maybe 1 on its own?

i wouldn't put that many rams in a 10gl tank. they can be aggressive to each other if not to other types of fish. maybe 1 on its own?

So what about 1 german ram, 3 male guppies and 5 corydoras?

But that would only be 6 inches of fish? Maybe a pair of rams and 4-5 corydoras?

6 inches of active fish.

The 1" per gallon rule is totaly rubbish, IMHO.

you wouldnt put 55 neons in a 55gal tank, and declare it fully stocked, and not would you put an arrowana in a 40gal tank and say it is suitable.

http://www.aouo.com/bunsamran2005/pacu.JPG

Put that beast in a 40 gallon tank, would that seem right? I hope you said no, this is one of the many reasons why i hate the inch per gallon rule.....

Anyway, 10 gallon, i wouldnt put any dwarf cichlid in there except maybe african shell dwellers but that would mean species tank i think.

Most reactions

Back