55g Rebuild

:( So sorry to read that. My big female albino longfin is one of my favourite fish -- they have lots of personality and are easy to get attached to.

I'm surprised he jumped. I've never thought of plecos as critters likely to throw themselves out of a tank.

:( So sorry to read that. My big female albino longfin is one of my favourite fish -- they have lots of personality and are easy to get attached to.

I'm surprised he jumped. I've never thought of plecos as critters likely to throw themselves out of a tank.
Yeah I didn't even think they would either, but apparently he did. Just bums me out, he was one of our favourite fish.

Maybe in 3 months or so we will consider another one, but for now there's no biofilm or algaes built up so we will wait. No guarantees a new one would take to prepared foods and veggies right away, so ill let the tank mature again after being restarted.

But good news is, no mini cycle at least given the restart. Tested parameters today, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 5.

Yeah, when I first got mine (not at an LFS but from a breeder in Edinburgh... handing the fish over in the carpark of a shopping centre at 10pm and definitely looking like we were doing a drug deal) it took a few weeks for her to realise veggies and algae wafers were food. That seems to be common.

How old was the pleco?

Not having a mini cycle is good. That's always a worry when changing tanks, for whatever reason.

Yeah, when I first got mine (not at an LFS but from a breeder in Edinburgh... handing the fish over in the carpark of a shopping centre at 10pm and definitely looking like we were doing a drug deal) it took a few weeks for her to realise veggies and algae wafers were food. That seems to be common.

How old was the pleco?

Not having a mini cycle is good. That's always a worry when changing tanks, for whatever reason.
We had him since he was about 3 inches, he was about 4-5 inches now. Had him for several months.

My vals have melted a bit but I expect them to recover. Dust from the sand has settled on my plants which is a battle to keep off now, but things still going good.
My trilineatus cories are spawning today too.
20201102_135411.jpg

other photos of everyone else.
20201102_140203.jpg
20201102_140158.jpg
20201102_135936.jpg
20201102_135159.jpg
20201102_135348.jpg
20201102_135141.jpg
20201102_135849.jpg
20201031_145230.jpg
20201101_161149.jpg
20201031_141751.jpg
20201031_141804.jpg

My vals have melted haha.. so bad.
But water is clearing up though I have to dust off my plants daily still with a pipette or wipe them off with my hands to clear the dust off. Thinking after next water change I can remove the carbon bag.

20201103_170351.jpg

Had a pleasant surprise today to my cherry barbs spawning again, though I failed to collect any eggs from them. When I took the hornwort mass out to fish for barb eggs, I found a bunch of Weitzmani corydoras eggs! Third species of cories to spawn this week in this tank. First community spawning for my weitzmani too. And I know its them because the eggs were double the size of the paleatus and trilineatus eggs and were laid singly instead of in pairs or groups. Havent been successful with the eggs from the weitzmani before, though ive gotten them to spawn easy, just the eggs don't usually make it. So fingers crossed.
The larger eggs are the weitzmani eggs. The dark ones are paleatus due to hatch soon. Some trilineatus mixed in too. Planning to separate the eggs and hatched fry since there's a few days difference between them, but have them in a net over the sponge filter in my fry tank (contains aeneus cory and paleatus cory babies already, plus some baby sparkling gouramis.
20201103_170003.jpg

My poor hoplos whiskers. Gotta grow back soon, but so sad to see.
20201103_195608.jpg

My vals have melted haha.. so bad.
But water is clearing up though I have to dust off my plants daily still with a pipette or wipe them off with my hands to clear the dust off. Thinking after next water change I can remove the carbon bag.

View attachment 121791

Had a pleasant surprise today to my cherry barbs spawning again, though I failed to collect any eggs from them. When I took the hornwort mass out to fish for barb eggs, I found a bunch of Weitzmani corydoras eggs! Third species of cories to spawn this week in this tank. First community spawning for my weitzmani too. And I know its them because the eggs were double the size of the paleatus and trilineatus eggs and were laid singly instead of in pairs or groups. Havent been successful with the eggs from the weitzmani before, though ive gotten them to spawn easy, just the eggs don't usually make it. So fingers crossed.
The larger eggs are the weitzmani eggs. The dark ones are paleatus due to hatch soon. Some trilineatus mixed in too. Planning to separate the eggs and hatched fry since there's a few days difference between them, but have them in a net over the sponge filter in my fry tank (contains aeneus cory and paleatus cory babies already, plus some baby sparkling gouramis.
View attachment 121798

My poor hoplos whiskers. Gotta grow back soon, but so sad to see.
View attachment 121792

I love seeing updates on your rebuild. It's so uplifting, especially after that sad episode you had. All that spawning..all that new life..

You've such a great eye for scape & stock :wub: glad all is going well with this beautiful tank.

So sorry about your BN :( heartbreaking x

Looks great!

Sorry about your BNP, I love my little guy, can’t imagine loosing him... :(

So further discovery, some more damage being shown on some survivors of the hand sanitizer, one cory has gone blind in one eye because of it.
20201104_153337.jpg

She is fine with her other eye and alive at the very least. Cories luckily adapt well without sight, ive got two in another tank bought with only 1 eye who thrive very well. So long term I think this girl will adapt just fine as well

So further discovery, some more damage being shown on some survivors of the hand sanitizer, one cory has gone blind in one eye because of it.
View attachment 121843
Showing no signs of infection though, right?

That is a bummer that it went blind - but you are right, they are very adaptable with hindered sight.

Most reactions

Back