55g Rebuild

Ouch. Maybe the first one released some kind of plant pheromones that said "bad news ahead, get out while you still can!" Lol who knows.

And I thought duckweed was like the glitter of fish tanks, impossible to get rid of and sticks to everything. I guess you can patent your solution for getting rid of it :D

It'll be interesting to see how the kit hob on the 20gal works with the plants that I ordered. They finally shipped, should be here on Wednesday, I'm so excited!!!!

Ouch. Maybe the first one released some kind of plant pheromones that said "bad news ahead, get out while you still can!" Lol who knows.

And I thought duckweed was like the glitter of fish tanks, impossible to get rid of and sticks to everything. I guess you can patent your solution for getting rid of it :D

It'll be interesting to see how the kit hob on the 20gal works with the plants that I ordered. They finally shipped, should be here on Wednesday, I'm so excited!!!!
Which plants??

I TRY SO HARD to keep duckweed, ive killed it every time, it just slowly vanishes. Ive tried every which way to keep it too, just poof gone. Ive tried every floater except dwarf lettuce. Im scared to try that one in fear of it keeling over too.

Heck I even tried the invasive Eurasian frogbit. Killed that too.

I got this: https://www.modernaquarium.com/18-plant-assortment/

Mostly because I know nothing about plants so I figured instead of agonizing for weeks trying to figure out what the best plants for my conditions would be and then trying to find sales on them etc etc I figured I'd just buy this and see if any of them are still alive after a month :D

Any advice?

I got this: https://www.modernaquarium.com/18-plant-assortment/

Mostly because I know nothing about plants so I figured instead of agonizing for weeks trying to figure out what the best plants for my conditions would be and then trying to find sales on them etc etc I figured I'd just buy this and see if any of them are still alive after a month :D

Any advice?
I would find out what each plant is that you get and decide what kind of fert it will need and best placement for them under the lights you have

So some tweaks.
Moved the Taiwan lily, added a crypt that was outgrowing my betta's 5 gallon
20201208_003312.jpg

In my low light tank I plant and float water wisteria and it does ok. 1/2 dose of flourish comprehensive once or twice a week seems to help.

I tried floating plants in my 240L and not one survived. Frogbit, salvinia, and duckweed. Nae luck. Now that tank has a powerhead so there's no point in further floating plant attempts. Tried hornwort in my 70L tank, and that also disappeared. I've now got anacharis in there, which seems to be doing pretty well.

Been adding more plants. Got a new light for the left side (a Nicrew SkyLED Plus)

Got some new bacopa caroliniana (red too!) And a new sword (red, on the left behind the hygro)
20201213_221526.jpg

Lost a few more anubias but my two big ones are doing great and putting out new leaves.

I think I had anubias but my lemon ancistrus completely obliterated them. He's quite big coming onto 3 and a half inches and I've been told the that when ancistrus get bigger they will damage plants.

I think I had anubias but my lemon ancistrus completely obliterated them. He's quite big coming onto 3 and a half inches and I've been told the that when ancistrus get bigger they will damage plants.
My guys are small still, but my anubias are somehow rotting at the rhizomes first and then just turn to mush? Like one after another too

Sometimes it is nice to catch a thread late because I get see and read about the the journey and your process after your loss. I just barely headed off a problem by quickly doing a water change out, no losses since I did that....I had 5 Platy's and one Cory go belly up. I had clues beforehand but....(insert popular reasons this was all my fault...cause it was). That was cool to make a cave for whichever fish decides it's home. My shipwreck provides a good place for my seclusive algae sucker fish, it out grew the dinky barrel cave decoration I had. I had horrible luck with the 55 Gallon size when I was young and decided that 20 Gallons will have to do.

Great tank.

It seems to me that the glass 55 tanks like the one pictured and what I also have suffer from a top frame that is a bit too thin in plastic thickness hence the hairline fractures of the center bar. But then again that why these 55's and 40 bow fronts are so affordable. I discussing with my LFS he adivces going with go with acrylic for anything larger than a 55. yup they are more expensive but last much longer.

Been adding more plants. Got a new light for the left side (a Nicrew SkyLED Plus)

Got some new bacopa caroliniana (red too!) And a new sword (red, on the left behind the hygro)
View attachment 124726

Lost a few more anubias but my two big ones are doing great and putting out new leaves.
I can't get over how cool CW028s are. If you are wondering what I'm on about it's the cory in the middle slightly on the right and has a yellowey-gold dorsal fin. He also has a black stripe across his face. I have very good vision and some people might not see the yellow dorsal. Look for the one with the black mark on his face on the bottom. That's a CW028. They are rare and expensive

My mystery plant may be Lobelia, which some sources say needs high light, so I moved it over to the nicrew side
20201218_233832.jpg

Most reactions

Back