55 Gallon

better to be safe then sorry . :nod:
When it comes to food your gudgeon will be like a torpedo , the fastest fish in the tank :lol: .

Happy fish keeping .

They are more carnivorous, right? What foods would you suggest for them? I've been feeding my Ropefish Beefheart but, now I'm hearing that it can mess up your water. What's a good alternative that's meaty and I can feed to my Ropefish and my Senegalus Birchir? (when I get it). I have frozen Bloodworms if Gudgeons like those. :dunno:

Also, could I add my Ropefish and Spotted Rafeal Catfish in the tank now? It's been running for about 3 or 4 days, but, the Tetras who are cycling it out are doing great so, I think the idea of adding filter media "juice" was a good idea and it's sppeding up the cycle rapidly. I'm also adding StressZyme in small proportions daily. I am going to get a couple more Spotted Rafeal Catfish soon to add to the tank. Here is my list of inhabitants I'll definately be gettting:

-"Blue" Gudgeon

-My Rope fish will be added

-My Spottted Rafeal will be added, along with about two more

-A senegalus Bichir

I'm very concerned about cycling. I cannot do a fishless cycle for a few reasons. One, I seriously have NO time to do something like this. Sure, maybe on the weekends, but, this process requires daily procedures that take up a lot of time. Two, I've already started the tank up with cycle fish. Now, I thought I would be fine adding filter media bacteria, the fish, the driftwood from my very established 30 gallon, and StressZyme. But, after doing a bit of research in the "Begginers Qestions" section, I found that one cycle took about two MONTHS to accomplish, where as I want mine done in about a week! :S I'm not sure if this person used thigs from matured tanks but, I'm quite worried about this. I may be able to get some gravel from my matured tank, but, it doesn't have a lot to give.

I did some tests and here are the results:

-Ammonia: around .10

-NitrIte: 0

-Need to buy a test kit for Natrate

And the Ph was about 7.2

I'm very worried that if I put in my Gudgeon and Ropefish and Reafeal Cats, they will be hurt form this cycle. :crazy:

I think I'm going to get one, along with the other inhabitants I listed. I'm still concerned on the whole cycling thing. :S

StingrayKid said:
Also, could I add my Ropefish and Spotted Rafeal Catfish in the tank now? It's been running for about 3 or 4 days, but, the Tetras who are cycling it out are doing great so, I think the idea of adding filter media "juice" was a good idea and it's sppeding up the cycle rapidly. I'm also adding StressZyme in small proportions daily. I am going to get a couple more Spotted Rafeal Catfish soon to add to the tank. Here is my list of inhabitants I'll definately be gettting:

-"Blue" Gudgeon

-My Rope fish will be added

-My Spottted Rafeal will be added, along with about two more

-A senegalus Bichir

I'm very concerned about cycling. I cannot do a fishless cycle for a few reasons. One, I seriously have NO time to do something like this. Sure, maybe on the weekends, but, this process requires daily procedures that take up a lot of time. Two, I've already started the tank up with cycle fish. Now, I thought I would be fine adding filter media bacteria, the fish, the driftwood from my very established 30 gallon, and StressZyme. But, after doing a bit of research in the "Begginers Qestions" section, I found that one cycle took about two MONTHS to accomplish, where as I want mine done in about a week! :S I'm not sure if this person used thigs from matured tanks but, I'm quite worried about this. I may be able to get some gravel from my matured tank, but, it doesn't have a lot to give.

I did some tests and here are the results:

-Ammonia: around .10

-NitrIte: 0

-Need to buy a test kit for Natrate

And the Ph was about 7.2

I'm very worried that if I put in my Gudgeon and Ropefish and Reafeal Cats, they will be hurt form this cycle. :crazy:
The thing is the bacteria colonizes just enough to consume the waist of the fish in the tank , it kind of balances out , If you add the other fish all at once there will be to much waist and not enough bacteria, It may not grow fast enough , and waists may build to dangerous levels , add the fish one at time over the coarse of a few days , check for ammonia and nitrite and be ready to make water changes .

Feed them lightly for a few weeks , or every other day to reduce waists and you should be OK .

Make water changes as you need to , it may take longer to cycle the tank but the fish need to survive .

Sounds good. So, should I juse add my Ropefish and my Rafeal Cat WITH the Black Tetras in the tank now, or, remove the tetras and then add the Rope and Cat? Then I will add the Gudgeon some time next week. After that, I'll add my other Rafeal cats in a few more weeks and later on this month, my Senegalus Birchir. Is this schedule okay as far as my cycle goes? :dunno:

StingrayKid said:
Sounds good. So, should I juse add my Ropefish and my Rafael Cat WITH the Black Tetras in the tank now, or, remove the tetras and then add the Rope and Cat? Then I will add the Gudgeon some time next week. After that, I'll add my other Rafael cats in a few more weeks and later on this month, my Senegalus Birchir. Is this schedule okay as far as my cycle goes? :dunno:
If you add the rope and the catfish together don't put any food in for at least a day, I would do this[ not adding food that is ] each time you add a fish until you are certain your tank if fully cycled , keep an eye on the water quality as well , and other wize your plan looks good .

Again , you may have to do daily water changes , you have ammonia readings , but no nitrite yet , is that still correct . do whatever it takes to keep these levels low/safe , for the fishes sake .

are your tetras still looking good ?

Yes, they are still looking great. Right now they are chooling around in the tank. Okay so, this weekend, I'll add the Rope and the cat and I won't add any food for a day or so. Then, when my Python extension hose comes in, I'll do a water change. After that, I'll go and get my Gudgeon. I'll also feed my Rope and my Cat before I put them in their new home.

EDIT: I'll get some more readings today.

Samsung and I just put in the Cat and the Ropefish. They seem to look happy in the tank. The Cat in swimming around finding hiding spots and the Ropefish is sitting around. Should I feed em' tommarow?

feed them very little , after the lights go out , both of these fish should be more active at night anyway .

What food would you suggest for my Ropefish? I heard the Beefheart I've been feeding him can mess up my water... :blink:

I feed my rope the canned mini shrimp you can get from th food store, and beheaded mealworms :) When you cut off the head they are easier to smell, fopr the ropefish anyway :p

Bit of a problem. I called them up today and they said it will be in tommarow. I asked for the scientific name and they didn't have it. I asked her if it was PSG, and she said no, they dont get them in this season and when they do, they are over $100 for a small one! :eek: So I'm getting a "Blue Gudgeon". She said that its quite docile and rarely gets up to 12". So, it'll be interesting to find what this is.

Most reactions

Back