380L Malawi Setup

The Tang tank was and is my best choice, but yes it`s nice to have Malawi as well. I sent hubby some photos off my phone and he`s absolutely itching to get home to see HIS new additions. Not bad for someone who had no real interest in fish when I first started keeping them :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

The Sunset female has picked up a fair bit now and she`s swimming alongside the male quite happily. The freibergi male has spent most of the day hiding, as has the malauna male :rolleyes:

It`s nice being able to have so much colour in the tank without having to cross to the salty side B-)

It`s not fantastic quality but I manged to get a pic of the Aulonocara JacobFreibergi male with his Mrs and the Aulonocara Sunset male:
DSCF0770.jpg

OH. MY. GOD.

AMAZING!

I would be having a party with fish like that, they're truly stunning... :blink:

Good work!
sHa_runaround.gif

I want some new fish aswell :(, so i looked in my shellie tank and have noticed fry again today. Free new fish lol

OH. MY. GOD.

AMAZING!

I would be having a party with fish like that, they're truly stunning... :blink:

Good work!
sHa_runaround.gif

Thanks, I`m really chuffed with them and I know hubby`s going to be gobsmacked when he sees them too :lol:

I want some new fish aswell :(, so i looked in my shellie tank and have noticed fry again today. Free new fish lol

So you do have some new fish then! ;) :lol:

I noticed that my multis have got a second batch of fry now too :good:

looking good lisa :good: i was the same opening my bags . maybe they should name it new malawi syndrome :lol: so are you glad you got the jacob? you think hes nice now , just wait until hes had a week or so to settle in , especially when he starts trying to get the females interest . . gorgeous!!

looking good lisa :good: i was the same opening my bags . maybe they should name it new malawi syndrome :lol: so are you glad you got the jacob? you think hes nice now , just wait until hes had a week or so to settle in , especially when he starts trying to get the females interest . . gorgeous!!

Yeah Tony said after about a week the colours will get even better. The jacob and sunset males are utterly stunning, can`t choose between them because they`re both so nice.
I honestly would have been committed to the funny farm had anyone heard me when I was taking the bags out of the box, I had to laugh at myself :blush: :lol: :lol:

I sat on the worktop in the kitchen for ages just watching them, most of them have slowly become a bit more more 'comfortable' but the Malauna male is still hiding away, the jacob male has come out a few times but the sunset male has been out since he went into the tank. Can`t wait for them all to be out and about :good:

I got the red tops as well as the neon spots, the 2 male red tops were really giving it some welly at each other when the bags were floating and then for a while when they first went into the tank, now they`ve sorted out their territories they`re fine.

I`m completely chuffed to bits with them so yeah you could say I`m glad we got them :nod: :nod: :nod: :lol: :lol:

thats great , im glad youre pleased with them . my hap sp. 44s were going at it so badly in the bag i had to release them after about 5 mins floating!! you wait til that jacob colours its an amazing fish , hel get a silvery bluish tinge along his flanks , and once hes coloured up when he spreads his fisns out its quite a sight . as for the malauna it must be a malauna thing , my male was the slowest to settle out of all the fish . i think for me even tho the sunset males are gorgeous fish . i love those egg spots on their anal fin , but now the jacob has coloured up hes just about my fave , especially when he sees either a fish he classes as a rival , or his female , then the fins get spread and bang the colour instantly gos super intense literally just like flipping a switch . have your 2 male haps started to size each other up yet? thats great to watch too . the colours involved when the male haps are going at it is just mind boggling. tony is a pleasure to deal with too isnt he :good:

thats great , im glad youre pleased with them . my hap sp. 44s were going at it so badly in the bag i had to release them after about 5 mins floating!! you wait til that jacob colours its an amazing fish , hel get a silvery bluish tinge along his flanks , and once hes coloured up when he spreads his fisns out its quite a sight . as for the malauna it must be a malauna thing , my male was the slowest to settle out of all the fish . i think for me even tho the sunset males are gorgeous fish . i love those egg spots on their anal fin , but now the jacob has coloured up hes just about my fave , especially when he sees either a fish he classes as a rival , or his female , then the fins get spread and bang the colour instantly gos super intense literally just like flipping a switch . have your 2 male haps started to size each other up yet? thats great to watch too . the colours involved when the male haps are going at it is just mind boggling. tony is a pleasure to deal with too isnt he :good:

The haps have had a bit of a spat already but nowt serious. One is definately dominant, his colours are really deep compared to the other one who looks quite pale in comparison.

The labs are fun to watch, very confident little things who don`t seem to give a toss about any of the others :lol: :lol: The usisya have been the 'quietest' out of all of them, they stay in their own little group in one place mainly.
They`re definately all completely different, I could watch them for ages :lol:

Tony is a great guy, can talk for England but he`s lovely and giving advice and info is no bother for him. No wonder he`s got such a good reputation :good:

yeah i agree the labs are just so cool , its almost a shame theyre going to grow . my usisya do exactly the same , just stick together and sift the sand like a little mini group of geos . im the same as you , i could watch em for hours , i remember the 1st day i got em i was gutted when it was time to switch off the tank lights :lol: the appeal of a malwai setup im finding is that no matter where in the tank you look theres something different happening. enjoy the new boys , and of course plenty of updated pics as they colour up :good: il be interested to see how your mix of mbuna get on ( you got redtops and neon spots too didnt you ? ) i was going to get some redtops but opted for a 3rd pair of aulonocara instead , and i really like thos neon spots too.

Looking excellent, its said not to mix the mbuna and haps/peacocks but personally i dont see a problem with it. Ive kept Malawis for years with the odd pair of Haplochromis and everything was fine. Aslong as you provide caves for the mbuna and open water space for haps/peacocks (whick you have done)everything should be fine.

Looking forward to more pics :hyper:

yeah i agree the labs are just so cool , its almost a shame theyre going to grow . my usisya do exactly the same , just stick together and sift the sand like a little mini group of geos . im the same as you , i could watch em for hours , i remember the 1st day i got em i was gutted when it was time to switch off the tank lights :lol: the appeal of a malwai setup im finding is that no matter where in the tank you look theres something different happening. enjoy the new boys , and of course plenty of updated pics as they colour up :good: il be interested to see how your mix of mbuna get on ( you got redtops and neon spots too didnt you ? ) i was going to get some redtops but opted for a 3rd pair of aulonocara instead , and i really like thos neon spots too.

There`s definately something going on in different areas, the female malauna has taken to being protective over a rock area already, the neon spot males are already playing 'get dizzy' with each other, the 3 big males are still hiding away, the female jacob is shoving everyone else out of the way for the algae wafers, the dominant hap male is chasing the sub dominant male then the females and the labs are playing 'up an down' on the sides of the tanks.....it`s non stop in there :lol: :lol:
The red tops seem to have settled down, they occasionally pop their heads out of their caves but that`s it at the mo.

Looking excellent, its said not to mix the mbuna and haps/peacocks but personally i dont see a problem with it. Ive kept Malawis for years with the odd pair of Haplochromis and everything was fine. Aslong as you provide caves for the mbuna and open water space for haps/peacocks (whick you have done)everything should be fine.

Looking forward to more pics :hyper:

Thanks, I do need some more ocean rock in there so I`ll have to see what I can do with the smaller pieces that I have left. So far everythingl seems ok between them all but it`s still early days so I guess anything could happen, I`ll just have to keep an eye on them :look:

just watched the vid lol at your dog, mine is so dumb he dosnt pay any attention to my tanks. i used to have a leopard gecko too i would hold it in my hand in front of him and still he wasnt interested.

beautiful fish btw, that sunset is a big un

just watched the vid lol at your dog, mine is so dumb he dosnt pay any attention to my tanks. i used to have a leopard gecko too i would hold it in my hand in front of him and still he wasnt interested.

beautiful fish btw, that sunset is a big un

My dogs are both really soppy and daft! My son has 2 musk turtles, the dogs are scared of them :lol: :lol:

The new Sunset male really is a stunner, hubby got home and was completely gobsmacked. He absolutely loves them! :D

I keep sitting watching them and managed to get some more pics. The quality isn`t great but I`ve managed to nag hubby into buying me a new camera :lol:

Aulonocara Sunset male (Peacock) :
DSCF0776.jpg

Ndumbi Red top male (Mbuna):
DSCF0777.jpg

Pseudotropheus elongatus Neon spot male (Mbuna):
DSCF0780.jpg

Hap sp.44, dominant male (victorian):
DSCF0783.jpg

Most reactions

Back