250l Tropical Planted Tank

I have enjoyed photography for a long time so i decided to invest in a decent camera but i can soon see myself buying a DSLR, such as the Nikon D40 for £225. My birthday is in July so it will give me a good excuse to buy another plus my Mum wont flip at me if i tell her that i have ordered one to come in next week! :lol: :rolleyes:

I have just convinced her to let me have a 4ft tank aswell :hooray: :yahoo:

Well, to be honest, it should not be about cost... but... if it is, i would suggest the D60S... nice little SLR, and easy to use, and yeah, getting it past the rents is always going to be the biggest hurdle :)

and thank you Victor. :)

Ok... i'm looking to move my plants around and organise them a little bit.

At the moment, they are kind of growing which way that they want with no real structure.

Now, i am unsure about what type of plants i have, it has been a while you see, so i don't remember, but... i would like to make it a bit more tidy.

Can anyone suggest anything for me to go off??

Ok... i'm looking to move my plants around and organise them a little bit.

At the moment, they are kind of growing which way that they want with no real structure.

Now, i am unsure about what type of plants i have, it has been a while you see, so i don't remember, but... i would like to make it a bit more tidy.

Can anyone suggest anything for me to go off??

If you are looking for inspiration then look here:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2008...mp;name=welcome
http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/ADA_A...2008/index.html

Nice tank. Are the differnt gourami species fine together?

I've heard that your meant to keep differnt gouramis together or they'll fight.

Nice tank. Are the differnt gourami species fine together?

I've heard that your meant to keep differnt gouramis together or they'll fight.
Keeping different Gouramies together is fine provided you have plenty of females and very few males.

that is true... they are fine together, however the 3 spotted gourmi does attack the male sun set gourmi sometime, just chases him around the tank a little, no real fighting, but they are fine together... like i said, the two pearl gourmi's keep touching each other with their whiskers, almost ready to pounce on each other... but they are so active! if i can suggest something. get yourself 2 pearl gourmie's... they are fantastic

I love the platy

I believe it is a sunset wagtail.

:hi: to the forum

Thank you.

sorry about the delay in the pics, but work has been constant. I had to go in over the weekend, so i did not have a chance to do a water change or take a few pics, but i will.

I have enjoyed photography for a long time so i decided to invest in a decent camera but i can soon see myself buying a DSLR, such as the Nikon D40 for £225. My birthday is in July so it will give me a good excuse to buy another plus my Mum wont flip at me if i tell her that i have ordered one to come in next week! :lol: :rolleyes:

I have just convinced her to let me have a 4ft tank aswell :hooray: :yahoo:

I reckon a Canon 450d is the way to go - it has extra features that I pined for on my 350d and gives the beginner room to grow... Just my opinion!

Hey guys, i'm back.

No, no photo's yet, but i can tell you that i am planning some new stuff with the tank. Along with getting some new T5 reflectors, i picked up this bad boy today.

It is a Red Sea professional Co2 system with express defuser. It comes with all the standard stuff, needle point valve, etc... and a 1kg tank. I am also looking at getting a electronic Co2 valve to come on 20min after my lights come on and 30 before hand.

this is it.

The kit
Untitled-1-9.jpg

1kg tank
Untitled-2-4.jpg

I hope to have this bad boy installed with some new plants by this weekend seeing that i have some spare time from work... (finally)

I'll keep you up to date.

cheers;

Carter

You will soon see a remarkable difference in your plants. Have the CO2 to come on 2hours before lights on, and go off 2hours before lights. This is because you want optimum CO2 levels as soon as the light comes on, also drop checkers take 2hours to change, for example:

CO2 on 6am
lights on 8am
10am - drop checker green (30ppm)

Because it is 30ppm at 10am, that means the CO2 level at 8am will have been 30ppm which is perfect for plants.

See more info in the thread "drop checkers" (link in my sig)

thanks...

i decided to pull a lot of that low lying plants out as they were starting to die with the extreme heat that we have been having here lately, but...

i was thinking.

at the moment, my substrate is just the normal golden mixture of stones. I am thinking about going to a more, organic based mix, something that the plants would thrive off nutrient wise.

I have been looking around and found this.

its Red Sea Flora Base Substrate... anyone heard of it? is it good, should i change it over?

comments would be great.

Flora Base Substrate

Most reactions

Back