2024 MLB season

Yes, Willie Mays death will be felt by many even outside of baseball fans.

Actually his "famous catch" in the 1954 World Series against Cleveland was in the year I was born. In today's ball the catch isn't all that rare but in those days it was a different story.

A touch over half an hour til the start of a big series for Cleveland. Three game set against the Orioles in Baltimore. Just going by their records it should be a good three game series as their records are pretty close with the same number of wins but Baltimore having two more losses. Baltimore worries me a bit as they are a REALLY good team. Cleveland has the best bullpen in the league but I think Baltimore probably has the better starters.

Well Cleveland FINALLY ended a losing streak of over a year at KC Saturday.

Would not have bothered with above except that I was posting the following anyway.

Sign this lady up! Nice bare handed catch of a foul ball while holding a kid in her other arm. Got this off of MLB.com.

And check out this catch by a bat boy!!! The best part is that kid is just so nonchalant about it. ;)

Last edited:
Learned something while watching the Cleveland/San Fran game today. For some years it has been almost spooky how well Cleveland rookies do when they come up. I mean they bring up a rookie at second base and he goes to the al-star game as a rookie. Then you bring up a rookie left fielder and he gets gold gloves his first two seasons and is leading baseball in his third with a .365 batting average. Last year they bring up a rookie starting pitcher and he is the runner up for rookie of the year. I could make this a really long post with many more such examples but won't. ;)

The announcers were talking about the above during the game and it is actually pretty simple. ALL of Cleveland's farm clubs use the Guardians as a model and play the same game. This means that the rookies already know the team philosophy when they reach the big leagues. Sure they still have things to figure out but it is basically still the same game philosophy they have been doing all the way through the minors which dramatically reduces the transition to the big leagues.

Cleveland >> 56-32 >> In first by 6 >> 24 games above .500

Interesting draft choice in the first round for Cleveland. Odd as it may seem this was the first time in franchise history that they had the overall first pick. They took Bazzana a second baseman from Australia that played at Oregon State setting school records.

Here is a quote from the above MLB article:
MLB said:
If you’re trying to describe the type of hitter the Guardians prefer to have in their organization, you’ll probably think of a gritty, versatile player with elite contact ability, off-the-charts plate discipline and some potential for power.

That’s why Travis Bazzana and Cleveland are a match made in heaven.

I have to admit that I was a bit surprised that they would pick a second baseman as the first pick as they already have a Platinum glove at the position defensively, but I think it was largely due to his offensive potential which is extreme. I would not be surprised if he is trained as an outfielder for defensive appearances early in his career with the second base aspect looking to the future. I would also think that he could be used as a DH. Still ya never know as he may never even make it to the 'Big Show'. Between college baseball, football and basketball baseball is probably the hardest to judge as to drafts as it probably has the largest talent difference difference between college and the pros especially as to hitters as the pitching velocity is much higher on average. I look forward to seeing how this kid does. :)

And then winning a sweep of a short 2 games series against Detroit.

I feel like a traitor in relation to the Yankees-Philly game that just started. It is in the contract to be a Cleveland fan that you must hate the Yankees yet I HAVE to pull for them tonight. If the Yankees win that puts Cleveland and Philly totally tied as to the best record in baseball. If the season ended today Cleveland and Philly would be the number one seeds in their conferences. While odds against would be, if they meet in the World Series, the team with the better regular season record would have home field advantage...

As much as it hurts, GO YANKEES tonight. :eek:

<edit>
Actually I wish they would go back to the All-star game meaning something A while back the league that won the All-star game had home field in the World Series. Don't know why they stopped that but wish they would bring it back as it actually gave a purpose for the game.

Last edited:
Starting to get a bit concerned about Cleveland They just finished losing five straight. Before that they had not more than three straight the entire season. The problem is that they have the best bullpen in baseball but I think they just plain getting worn out as they just are not shutting down the game like normal. Starting pitching, without Shane Bieber and Triston McKenzie, is average at best and, realistically, probably sub-par. The starting pitching has only reached seven innings six times this year putting WAY too much pressure on the bullpen.

Well Cleveland beat the Yankees yesterday 9-5 in 12 innings but I really don't understand how even though the Yanks gave them some help. Cleveland left 20 base runners stranded and still ended up with 9 runs??? :dunno:

Not MLB but not going to start another baseball thread. ;)

Congrats to Florida for winning the Little League World series. :band:

If you have followed this tournament the U.S. semi finals between Florida and Texas just may have been the best game of the tourney. I feel sorry for Chinese Taipei for losing on what was really a mental mistake allowing the winning run to score. Still have to give total credit to Florida as they showed that they just don't accept the concept of losing. If the last two games by Florida were to be MLB they would be talked about for many years.

Back to the MLB... Poor White Sox! Only the fourth team to lose 100 games before even getting to September in the history of the MLB. The other three were the 2003 Tigers, 1962 Mets and the 1899 Cleveland Spiders... 'Spiders?' :dunno:

24 games left for Cleveland and they have a 4.5 game lead, looks pretty good.

A BIG help is Alex Cobb coming off the IL and starting yesterday. He retired the first 18 batters he faced. If Cobb's performance was not a fluke it helps a pretty devastated starting rotation with Shane Bieiber going out for the season after just two starts then Triston McKenzie going out with what seems to be more of a head issue than physical and then Cobb missing most of the season... With Lively thrown in the mix it gives Cleveland three quality starters (even without Bieiber and McKenzie) which helps their top rated bullpen.

Whew! Took the first game of the Dodgers' series this weekend! Big factor as that make Cleveland 4.5 games in first with the White Sox to come next. If they can even manage 1 win in the next 2 games with the Dodgers it would put them in REALLY good position as they SHOULD sweep the White Sox but ya never know.

While not yet a fact Cleveland will probably win the division but the real battle is that in the end run Cleveland has to wine 1 more game than the Yankees and Orioles. Actually that is not right as both those teams are in the same division meaning they just need 1 more win than whoever wins the AL East to have a bye in the first playoff round. This is important as the Cleveland pitching has been stressed due to missing a couple of starters although with the return of Cobb the starting pitching picture has improved.

Most reactions

Back