2023-2024 NFL Discussion

I am totally amazed by what my Cleveland Browns defense did against the Arizona Cardinals today. First the Browns won 27-0.

Now the defense. Granted that the Cardinals are not what would even be close to being considered a good team and, yes, The Browns have the #1 ranked defense in the NFL. With that said I just don't understand how, in today's NFL, a defense only gives up a total of 58 net yards to any offense. :dunno: Of course 7 sacks and three turnovers helped but 58 total net yards??? The defense just totally dominated and controlled the game from start to finish. :)

BTW, first shutout for the Browns since, I think, 2007.

Bye week ? Theyre playing on thanksgiving

Bye week ? Theyre playing on thanksgiving
Yep, by week for the Lions in week 9 of the NFL schedule.

And yes, Detroit will be playing on Thanksgiving but they will have a game next Sunday, on the twelfth, against the Chargers which will make for a short week before the Thanksgiving game against the Green Bay Packers. This will be the first of three games on Thanksgiving at 12:30 PM ET followed by Washington and Dallas at 4:30 PM ET and then San Francisco against Seattle at 8:20 PM ET.

I'm looking forward to the Seahawks vs 49ers on Thanksgiving night

I'm looking forward to the Seahawks vs 49ers on Thanksgiving night
That should make for an interesting game. Anyway it will be a good day of football as long as Dallas loses. Never have liked Dallas for two main reasons...
1) When I was a kid getting into football anytime Dallas and Cleveland played it meant something.

2) The whole media "America's Team" garbage. I'm an American and they are not my team. This is not actually the fault of the Cowboys but, rather, media hype. Still it just irks me!

As an aside there is a Monday Night Football bit of history between Dallas and Cleveland. Monday night Football wanted Dallas for their first game but Landry blocked it claiming that Football was for Sundays and just would not work on other days. The first Monday Night ended up being the Browns against the Jets... Browns won 31-21.

The Pars did not dissapoint....they lost AGAIN

49ers had a nice win against the Jags... Purdy is awesome...love watching him play.

I played 2 years of football in my first 2 years of high school. I loved every minute of it and my team never won a single game in that time. I prefer to win, but I would rather play and lose than not play.

I began watching pro football in the late 1960s when I lived in Washington, DC. So I am a lifelong Redskins fan. I cannot call them the Commanders, sorry. Had I owned the team I would have change the name to the Redskin Potatoes and then continued to call them the Redskins.

In the 1970s I had a bookie and bet pro football, but no other sports.

Over the years they have changed the rules and made the game not worth watching any more. I cannot remember the last game I watched from start to finish and that includes the more recent Super Bowls. And when I did, I never watched the half-time stuff.

I watch almost no sports any more besides the Yankees baseball and even that has become harder to do lately.

I actually watch more soccer now than football. I was introduced to the World Cup when I worked in Saudi Arabia in the 1970s. I had to schedule working times around certain games or the workers likely would have have rioted. :eek:

Almost every professional sport has been ruined, IMO and most are just not worth watching any more. And since legal sports betting swept the land, I have not registered with any of them. I have not bet on a sporting event since the last millenium. I play poker ;)

Ask yourself why the Pro sports leagues are now in bed with the betting sites.

I played a bit of football myself. I played both ways but preferred defense.

I don't know that pro sports have 'gotten in bed' with gambling or at least not any more than has always happened. Now I WILL agree that pro sports are not against it and, in ways, promote it through ads for betting outfits during games and analyst shows but I would have to figure that this is no different than beer ads. Thinking about it is it really pro sports that promote this or is it the networks that are being paid to air the ads. :dunno: So let's say that a network is showing an NFL game and both gambling and beer ads are shown. Would this mean that the NFL is in favor of drunk driving since they are 'promoting' gambling sites? I would think the network to be responsible for the ad content.

Sadly sports, crime, gambling and drugs seem to go hand in hand. I lived in Jacksonville Beach when the Jags started in Jacksonville. Soon both gambling and drug related crimes increased quite a bit along with prostitution. This was before gambling was legal. Sadly a city with a major sports franchise is going to draw the crime syndicates to the area. Actually legal gambling MAY lessen these undesirables from setting up in these cities as they no longer need to be present; just put up or expand a site.

Don't get me wrong as I am not a fan of gambling beyond the point of a $5.00 bet I just made earlier today with a neighbor in my apartments on the upcoming Browns vs Broncos NFL game... He's a Bronco fan and a friend. My main two concerns with gambling sites are, one, gambling can be as addictive as narcotics spiraling out of control and, two, they are are a great source for getting computer infections.

@TwoTankAmin : Content such as in your last post and this can easily escalate. If the discussion continues let's make sure to keep it totally civil and to make sure to keep in mind that we both have our right as to an opinion. While we may see things a little differently... mayhaps not really all that much differently... I respect your opinion and would hope that you will do the same with mine. :)

I agree that NFL has changed for the worst. It’s not as physical as it was. Maybe it’s just the urge to see people get popped and dropped but tackling by the defense has gotten less and less physical. The refs are absolutely blind to all calls, and the roughing the passer is called every time a defender lays hands on the quarterback. Not to mention you can now fair catch the kick off outside the end zone and get the ball at your own 25…kickoffs were so fun to watch.

As a moderator, I feel like I should make some helpful contributions to this thread. Here you go.

sports.png

Most reactions

Back