2 new fish died, how can I find out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrk882

Reaction score
I bought 2 ButterflyTelescope fish along with 2 Orandas.7 days later one died and then the next day the other. My first time with Telescopes, my aquarium is 60 gallons. I do have the testers but The website is asking me.
(Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH), tank size,) How to tell them? tankmates, filtration system, tank maintenance regimen, foods being provided

I bought 2 ButterflyTelescope fish along with 2 Orandas.7 days later one died and then the next day the other. My first time with Telescopes, my aquarium is 60 gallons. I do have the testers but The website is asking me.
(Water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH), tank size,) How to tell them? tankmates, filtration system, tank maintenance regimen, foods being provided
umm, use a preferable liquid(api master) test kit to tell those. did you cycle your tank?
what is your
tankmates, filtration system, tank maintenance regimen, foods being provided

It's probably caused by poor water quality (ammonia or nitrite). This is common in newly set up aquariums.

You can buy test kits or take a glass full of tank water to a pet shop and ask them to test the water for you. Get them to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH. Write down the results in numbers at the time. If the shop says the water is fine, ask them what the results are in numbers.

Until then, reduce feeding to a couple of times a week, and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean a couple of times a week until we work out what is going on.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

umm, use a preferable liquid(api master) test kit to tell those. did you cycle your tank?
what is your
tankmates, filtration system, tank maintenance regimen, foods being provided
I have a kit, I sincerely doubt that anything is wrong with the water I test it often. Water is crystal clear. My aquarium was cycled no problem with the other fish at all. I have a double filter for a 60 gallon aquarium plus a third filter for a 60 gallon tank. Thanks for trying to help.

Attachments

• 20210410_122632.jpg
    20210410_122632.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 43
It's probably caused by poor water quality (ammonia or nitrite). This is common in newly set up aquariums.

You can buy test kits or take a glass full of tank water to a pet shop and ask them to test the water for you. Get them to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH. Write down the results in numbers at the time. If the shop says the water is fine, ask them what the results are in numbers.

Until then, reduce feeding to a couple of times a week, and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean a couple of times a week until we work out what is going on.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
Nothing is wrong with my water. I already have testing kit. I don't have substrate filtration is perfect! I've been caring for fish around 30 years .☺️ My other fish are just fine. 60 gallon tank Double Hang on the back filter for 60 gallon aquarium plus a third hang on the back for a 60 gallon. I've always had Goldfish and stay on top of everything. Funny how the two Telescopes are dead, my first time having them.? Never have happened before.

If the water is ok, what symptoms did the fish show before they died or when they were dead?
Do you have any pictures of the dead fish?
Did you do anything to the tank the day before they died?

If the water is ok, what symptoms did the fish show before they died or when they were dead?
No, the smaller was kind of shy. They seemed happy. Nothing was done to the aquarium. ? This is one fish I removed and put in a bucket. I didn't take a pic of the bigger ones just thought it was a fluke. The seller is trying to work with me, at least I should get some kind of refund for at least one, I think. Usually I have fish for a very long time! No problem with the others they seem happy. I went with another buyer knowing you can pick the actual fish you want. Maybe I should have just stuck with Live Aquatics. We paid more for these fish too.??

Attachments

• 20210414_084733.jpg
    20210414_084733.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 45
I was just matching the colors for the test strip not really knowing what it means. Colors are saying SAFE lol so I can send off the numbers .☺️ Thanks so much

Your water most likely is NOT safe for fish. "Crystal clear" means nothing, bleach is also crystal clear.

Test strips are unreliable and inaccurate, get the API liquid test kit as suggested above, test the ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAtre, and post the results here.

Your water most likely is NOT safe for fish. "Crystal clear" means nothing, bleach is also crystal clear.

Test strips are unreliable and inaccurate, get the API liquid test kit as suggested above, test the ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAtre, and post the results here.

Saliva is clear too with bubbles. Why be so smart ass about it? If there was a problem with my water why are all the other fish not dead as well? If you cant be helpful dont bother ! I've been caring for fish for over 30 years and have never had this problem.? Apparently something is wrong with the 2 fish.

Just trying to help, you asked for advice, I gave it.

Just because fish are alive doesn't mean they are truly living to their potential....people in comas are "alive".

Good luck.

I'm going to agree with @Slaphppy7

We are not diviners - we can not explain exactly why your fish died; especially when all of the information we have been given is that the tank is 60g and cycled, your test strips (notoriously inaccurate) say "safe" and that you've been doing this for 30 years. No one here is attacking your ability to care for fish or your expertise. Clearly, something is wrong (again, we do not know what) or the fish would not have died.

A cycled tank can still have water problems - adding too many fish at once can cause your biological filter (key - biological, not physical) can be overloaded causing a spike of ammonia and nitrites.

Bottom line is: We want to help you. If you want help, we need more information that has been provided. If you will not provide pertinent information then the best we've got is "we don't know" and that will have to be sufficient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back