130l Seahorse Setup

Thank you ben1987 and Trod. It's getting there slowly, but that's the way to go in marine.

Mooey65 thinking never hurt, except perhaps the wallet :lol: That's how it started for me thinking about it, then it was i just gonna research it a little and before i knew buying it and setting it up! ;)
Mooey65 did you have a bubble problem with your tank? With the overflow from the filter cause a vertex and loads of bubbles? If you did how did you fix it? With help from rabbut i have sorted the problem but was wondering if you had a similar problem?

Excitement - My CUC arrives friday (well needed and long awaited) :hyper: I will post some new pics when i have them settled and hopefully, the tank looks considerably cleaner.

Kelwoo

Well it's been a while since i last updated and i am sorry. A lot has been going on since i last posted so i will try to keep the update as sort as possible, but going by my previous post not holding up much hope :lol:

My CUC arrived as expected, and not a moment too soon as the tank was starting to be over run by algae. Here are some pictures of the CUC.

Baja
29309baja.jpg

Cerith
29309cerith.jpg

Blackfoot
29309blackfoot3.jpg

Neritu
29309neritu2.jpg

I also have 8 nassarius vibex but as soon as they went i the tank they dissappeared under the sand so i haven't been able to get a pic yet.
It's taken a while but they have done a good job! only a few bits of algae left now. The next addition was 2 cleaner shrimp and i shall call them jackie and chan. Here is a picture of jackie, chan's a little camera shy.
29309shrimp6.jpg

Since i wanted as natural looking tank as possible i order some more macro algae from ebay - some prolifera and feather. Spent a fustrating hour trying to get the algae planted in the sand and to the rocks, not perfect but it was satisfactory. The prolifera is doing really well and i have ordered some more, however the feather died within a couple of days :(
Full tank piccy with CUC
29309fulltank.jpg

29309fulltank2.jpg

And we're almost upto-date. Saturday went to the local fish shop just to have a look, big mistake as always cos it's always the time you find something really good and end up spending a fortune! :rolleyes: And although it's not the look i was originally going for i just couldn't resist, they had a piece of sun coral, looking rather sorry for itself half dead with a dozen or so heads left, so i asked how much, they said £5 i said ok! We have experience with sun corals as we have one in the nano, so i thought i like a challenge and i'm hoping i can rescue it.
29309sunnyjr.jpg

Once it starts eating and looking healthier i plan to trim off the dead section. I also saw the cutest toadstall mushroom so i had to buy that as well.
29309minitoad.jpg

Not sure i'm gonna keep him, as it's not the look i want, but till i'm ready for the SH he's a nice addition. If not he will be moved to the nano to replace the current one which is getting too large. I am gonna keep sunny jr. as it's a nice shot of colour to the tank as well as the xenia frag from the nano.
29309xenia.jpg

Sunday - water change and tidy up. Sunny jr. fed and opened up alittle, fragged up some of my bamboo algae and dispersed it. ooooww and the most exciting thing, i'm not sure if i mention the little hitchiker crab that made it through rock inspection - that i had to catch and wasn't looking forward to it as in the nano both crab catching sessions has resulted in complete tank dimantling and hours of time. Well i caught him - first time 5 mins :hyper: :hyper:

Here he is.
29309crab3.jpg

I have gone to the LFSs to find out what SH are available, when and price as within the next few weeks should be ready to get the first pair in.
All upto-date now, so the last thing to do is show you how the tank looks now.
29309fulltank3.jpg

29309fulltank6.jpg

Will update again when the next lot of algae arrives.

Kelwoo.

I just want to say thank you to everyone for your really nice comments. I am really pleased with how the tank it looking. I was really excited when i managed to get that crab out so quickly and easily, my new lot of algae arrived and i planted it, everything was great.
So i thought it was time to sort out my first pair of SH's H.barbouri, simply seahorses had some arriving on the 6th and since my lfs couldn't get them i have reserved them for collection on the 11th. :hyper:

I was soooooooo excited, my tank was looking good i got the crab out, sunny jr. was coming out to eat, everything was peachy. :hyper:

Then ....... as i was feeding sunny jr. thursday night, out of the corner of my eye, in the biggest yet most in-accessible cave i saw i flash of a claw - and it was massive!! :crazy:

Now you might have read previously that catching crabs from the nano meant a complete breakdown of the tank. As you can imagine/ know yourselves the horrible flashes of having to strip my tank to get the demon out began, just when the tank is was looking as i planned and with the SH soon coming, :crazy: . I became a crazy person, mumbling and franticly searching the tank for another glimse of the demon.

It wasn't long before he showed himself, gathering up a few scraps of flake from the sand - he was massive!!!! his body was an inch, with big mean looking pincers and bright red eyes. He had to go - eviction order had been served!

So out came the bottle trap. Now we haven't had any luck with these previously but i had nothing to lose. We set it up infront of his cave, crossed our fingers and went to bed. We came down in the morning to find ........... that's right nothing.

The bottle trap has merrit and in theory should work but it needs a vamping. So here it is the bottle trap mk2

3409bottletrap.jpg

Airline weights to hold it down attached with rubber bands, 0.18mm fishing line around the bottle neck and attach to the tube (handle) to pull it up, a prawn on the end of some more fishing line at the neck of the bottle going through the end of the bottle to pull the prawn and crab into the bottle, and finally rigid airline through the side of the bottle to hold the bottle in place whilst pulling the prawn. simple!

So set it up in the tank, all lights off, red torch on - waiting................... managed to attract everything (jackie, chan and snails) except the demon crab. So we started again, but this time gave the shrimp a flake each to keep them away and put some flake on the sand for the snails. It worked the coast was clear so let round 2 comense. Trap reset, lights off, red light on and waiting again. Finally there he was, taunting me sitting in his cave, moving one step closer, then disappearing. He finally found the bait in the bottle neck, i played it cool, i let him have a taste putting tension on the line so he couldn't take it. He let go and i pulled the bait a little further in the bottle - he darted back into his cave. We waited again this time he came out quicker, the plan was working, he had the taste and he wanted it bad! This time he went into the bottle neck to get the bait, and tried to pull it out, this was our chance, we pulled the bait into the bottle crab in tow then pulled the well designed handle to raised the bottle. One demon crab caught!!! In all it took about an hour. :good:

And here is some pictures of the demon.

3409demoncrab.jpg

3409demoncrab2.jpg

3409demoncrab3.jpg

Hopefully thats the last of demon crabs, although i won't be holding my breath. When i get the SH i'll post again with pics. Until then, unless anything else happens, thanks for reading hope your enjoying.

Kelwoo

Haha You could of had hours for fun there glad it worked for you tho.

Keep up the good work.

Wow. Looks great :D

Any luck with the sun coral?

That crab is freaky looking. They give me the heebeejeebee's. :crazy:

Did you ever get any kind of ID of it?

Hi hello, Thank you everyone for your lovely comments. :good: Thought i would take a few minutes to answer a few of your questions.

TigerIssey i did get the rest of my algae i order, i have only roughly planted it as i will have a look at what algaes the shop has tomorrow, and then make a final decision where everything will go.

Seffie i'm glad i made you smile, it was a sight, i think if i had been a fly on the wall that night i would have laughted till my side splits.

Kj the sun coral is doing well, still got a long way to go, but it now comes out to feed and is looking healthier. Never did get an id on the crab - however it was a meat eater so had to go. If you have an id i would be interested to know what it was.

And finally yes, tomorrow (sat) is the day i go to pick up my SH's. I am so excited :hyper: I have been driving everyone barmy at work telling everyone and anyone who would listen. This week couldn't go quick enough. :hyper: Doing the last few bits and pieces /checks today making sure everything is perfect and ready for the SH arrivial. :hyper:

Thank you again everyone :thanks: and i will post some new pics once everyone is settled.

Kelwoo

Most reactions

Back