Can anybody tell me what kind of fish Is this ?

Tyler777

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a 5 gallons used tank with all the stuff you need for it like pump, bubblers n more n by my surprised she gave us 3 fishes n one of them is some kind of catfish
She told me it's nocturnal but I never saw him move sometimes when I turn the lights off n it's in one position n when I turn the light in the morning it's still in the same position. She also gave me food for algae eaters but I always see that those pellets are dissolving untreated.
Maybe you can help me up telling me what kind of fish it is n what kind off food does he eats.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240518_082540_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_082540_Gallery.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20240518_082534_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_082534_Gallery.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 48
Looks like a courgette / zucchini from this angle. I wonder if it's an upside down catfish? Google upside down catfish and have a look. I am not sure.

Looks like a courgette / zucchini from this angle. I wonder if it's an upside down catfish? Google upside down catfish and have a look. I am not sure.
Ok thank you. I'm doing it right now
Need a better picture.

I was going to say Synodontis angelicus but saw the spikes along the side of the body so maybe a spotted Platydoras (Agamyxis pectinifrons?)
This is the best I could fo. He doesn't pose for the pics lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240518_212001_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_212001_Gallery.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20240518_211956_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_211956_Gallery.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20240518_211952_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240518_211952_Gallery.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 25
Look like a Raphael or a Hoplo from the little pictures on my phone

Agamyxis pectinifrons. Make sure it has somewhere dark to hide undisturbed during the day, because they hate the light. You won't see much of it but It'll vacuum the bottom every night of anything edible.

The previous owner kept that in a 5 gallon tank :oops:

Yup it was in a 5 gallons tank.
During the day he likes to hide behind the sponge, it's dark behind it.
Anybody knows what do they eat ? Bcause the lady gave me some food that are some kind of round looking m&m pellets n some kind of dried/sandy cube of worms but I'd been putting em for him to eat but he never does. The food just sink to the bottom n kind of melt due to the water but he doesn't touch it.

The pics i found online through the names you gave me seems to be it.

How big do they get ? And how big his tank should be ? Is he aggressive toward other fishes specially other bottom feeders ?

They eat any sort of small meat based foods ranging from frozen brineshrimp, bloodworm, daphnia, prawn, fish, etc. Sometimes they take dry pellet foods and it sounds like yours does so feed it a few pellets (m&ms :) ) and add some frozen (but defrosted) foods to it diet.

They will eat small narrow fish (neon tetras size & shape) if they come across them at night but shouldn't be an issue for things like Corydoras.

If you get a piece of pvc pipe about 6-8 inches long x 2-3 inches diameter, you can put that in the tank and cover it with plants or gravel (leave the ends open), and the fish will probably hide in the pipe during the day.

They eat any sort of small meat based foods ranging from frozen brineshrimp, bloodworm, daphnia, prawn, fish, etc. Sometimes they take dry pellet foods and it sounds like yours does so feed it a few pellets (m&ms :) ) and add some frozen (but defrosted) foods to it diet.

They will eat small narrow fish (neon tetras size & shape) if they come across them at night but shouldn't be an issue for things like Corydoras.

If you get a piece of pvc pipe about 6-8 inches long x 2-3 inches diameter, you can put that in the tank and cover it with plants or gravel (leave the ends open), and the fish will probably hide in the pipe during the day.
I like the idea of the pipe, I'm sure I have a few pieces here at home

Thank you for your response and advice
Here's info on it -

Notice how big it gets and the recommended tank size. The link also says what it eats in the wild, so you need food which is similar on composition.
Thank you my friend

Ok thanks to you guys I found out this guy or girl is a spotted Raphael catfish.
Do any of you have or had any of these guys before ? If so what do they eat ?
Because I'd been giving it 3 different kind of botton feeder food n even gave it zucchini last nite but not only it doesn't eat any of the bottom feeder food but it didn't even touched the zucchini either.

Any advice bout food ?

Thanks in advance

Here are the pics of the 3 different food I give it with no luck

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240525_051443_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240525_051443_Gallery.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240525_051430_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240525_051430_Gallery.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 6

S illy question from my wife ....
Can you feed him garden worms ?

I read ur post n I will get blood worms but my wife wanted me to ask that question

Most reactions

Back