A Beginner's 20g Long Aquarium (Platys + Pygmy Corys)

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Iā€™m also dealing with hair algae. It started a few weeks ago because I neglected to clean the tank for too long. It got pretty bad but I ripped out as much as I could last week and thought I was done with it. The annoying thing is all the bits that are stuck to the gravel. My siphon isnā€™t strong enough to pull them up and my hands can only do so much; I actually had to straight-up remove a small amount of gravel.

Well now itā€™s coming back at double speed. I can keep pulling it out, but I would like to address the root cause if it can. Iā€™ve reduced the daylight hours of the tank, and I really donā€™t think Iā€™m overfeeding (which means I probably am lol) but Iā€™m gonna try to feed less anyway.

Among all the doom and gloom, one bit of good news(!): I figured out how to apply the repashy onto my driftwood, and all the fish loved it. I donā€™t think my shrimp got to it because it was too out in the open, BUT I finally got confirmation that the otos understand the repashy! I bought it for them in the first place but I could never tell if they were actually getting any. This time I could clearly see them munching on it in broad daylight, alongside the other fish. I think it helped that I had it spread over a larger surface, so the fish didnā€™t crowd each other.

I have to be careful with feeding because my danios (and platies, but at least THEYā€™RE supposed to like algae) are pigs and will devour any kind of food I put in there, even if itā€™s something clearly not theirs, like an algae wafer.

Well now all the shrimp are fluke-free! It seems like they show up if the tank has been overfed, but if those conditions are cleared up before itā€™s too late, the shrimp can just molt them off when theyā€™re healthy again.

Most reactions

Back