Zebra Plecs L046

Glad to see some names above still owning these beautiful plecs. I my self was a breeder of theSe beauties until I sold my colony few years back
I really miss then :(
At least I had the pleasure of owning/ breeding them
I'm just thinking about coming bk on the fish scene just unsure yet what to start in as yet. Zebs just take to long to mature an hard to sex
Maybe nano or l200 :)

Ryan

I am thinking of getting a few of these,I know they are expensive but they are very pretty.
Was thinking about 3 or 4.

Do they need very specific water conditions?

Has anyone on here have any?

I have been spawning them for a number of years and currently keep a few dozen. They are pretty tolerant of water conditions and their spawning triggers are actually some substabtial changes in water parameters. They don't like nitrates much and prefer being kept warm- ie discus temps but be sure to keep their water well oxygenated. Most folks who keep them do so in species tanks.

I would determine what the parameters are they are being kept in when you get them and then look to be somewhere in the same range. However, it is easier to offer better suggestions if you post what size fish you are looking to get and what your tap water params are.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a 12 UK gallon tank that i can make into a species only,at the moment it contains Bee shrimps.I will change the tank around to make it as homely to the plecos as possible.Will add caves and more places to hide.

My water is very soft and has a ph of 7.My main fish tank is running with a 6.5ph and contains lots of bogwood,Indian almond leaves and loads of plants.
I can harden the water up a bit by using crushed shells added to my filter,this will also make the water more stable.

I am looking at 3cm Zebras and about 3 or 4 of them.Have found a supplier that is 60 miles from me.

The tank is running a Eheim Biopower internal filter thaw will do 10x turnover of water.It has foam and Eheim substrat pro in it.

looked on ebay for them, £400 ... haha yeah right. someone must be a idiot to pay out 100 on a fish let alone 400.

but they looked really nice :|

Just seen some for £75 ea.

Will have a think for the rest of the day/evening.

Probably buy 3 for the minute.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a 12 UK gallon tank that i can make into a species only,at the moment it contains Bee shrimps.I will change the tank around to make it as homely to the plecos as possible.Will add caves and more places to hide.

My water is very soft and has a ph of 7.My main fish tank is running with a 6.5ph and contains lots of bogwood,Indian almond leaves and loads of plants.
I can harden the water up a bit by using crushed shells added to my filter,this will also make the water more stable.

I am looking at 3cm Zebras and about 3 or 4 of them.Have found a supplier that is 60 miles from me.

The tank is running a Eheim Biopower internal filter thaw will do 10x turnover of water.It has foam and Eheim substrat pro in it.

12g isn't going to be big enough, try 20g tank minimum of 2 foot and should be fine, as TTA has mentioned, low PH.. high temps and good oxygenation is essential... ive never found them having a problem with slightly higher nitrates but everybody has different experiences.

I would also advise a nice powerful external filter for flow and to make sure it can cope with any excess bio load.... flow rate i always aim for with my zebs is 20x turnover (although i have had this upto 50x), this can be achieved by adding a powerhead of some sort though.

Stunning fish and good luck if you decide to buy.... £75 each is quite a good price nowadays.

Thanks for the reply.

12g isn't going to be big enough, try 20g tank minimum of 2 foot and should be fine, as TTA has mentioned, low PH.. high temps and good oxygenation is essential... ive never found them having a problem with slightly higher nitrates but everybody has different experiences.

I would also advise a nice powerful external filter for flow and to make sure it can cope with any excess bio load.... flow rate i always aim for with my zebs is 20x turnover (although i have had this upto 50x), this can be achieved by adding a powerhead of some sort though.

Stunning fish and good luck if you decide to buy.... £75 each is quite a good price nowadays.

The tank is 2ft x 1ft x 1ft.The internal filter will do 10x,I could buy an external for it.
On the Calculators i used that comes out at 15 US gallons.
I only want 3 or 4,and am thinking this tank would be big enough.
I have very soft water so can get the Ph down quite low,My main tank is running a ph of 6.5
I can make my own slate caves.

Thanks for the reply.

The tank is 2ft x 1ft x 1ft.The internal filter will do 10x,I could buy an external for it.
I have very soft water so can get the Ph down quite low,My main tank is running a ph of 6.5

2x1x1 is doable but be prepared to upgrade in the future..... if you happen to get 2 males then you could have some severe fighting in such a small space and 4 adult zebs is still pushing it in that size tank but see how you go.... the best method for PH is leave it alone.... your PH sounds fine as it is and with the addition of bogwood it will drop even lower usually.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the reply.

2x1x1 is doable but be prepared to upgrade in the future..... if you happen to get 2 males then you could have some severe fighting in such a small space and 4 adult zebs is still pushing it in that size tank but see how you go.... the best method for PH is leave it alone.... your PH sounds fine as it is and with the addition of bogwood it will drop even lower usually.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the Info,

The tank is already running,and has Bee shrimps in it,It will be for the Plecs only.
Would need to adjust the temperature up to 28.
Will have to change the substrate,It has Dennerle dark,this is 1-2mm fine gravel,it has no sharp edges.
Just tested Ph its 6.8

Let me start by offering the following quote about the zebra's native habitat.

Hypancistrus zebra is native to Brazil. The only reported habitat being on the riverbed of the Rio Xingu, - pronounced Rio Shin-gu). This makes it difficult to re-create the exact conditions and parameters that the fish would normally experience in the wild. Fortunately for us the L46 is relatively adaptable.The Xingu river is a true tributary of the Amazon River, and one which has only recently( in geographical times, 1884) been explored in any great detail. It is made up of three rivers, the Tamitatoaba, the Romero, and the Colisu, which bounds along a series of rapids over 400 miles long. The floor of the xingu is primerily made up of rounded rocks, crevises and a sandy substrate, allowing Hypancistrus zebra to travel throughout it's territory under cover from preditors.

The Amazon and some of its tributaries, called "whitewater" rivers, bear rich sediments and hydrobiological elements. The blackwater and clearwater rivers, such as the Negro, Tapajós, and Xingu have clear or dark water with few nutrients and little sediment. The Xingu is crystal clear and carries little in the way of sediment.

From zebrapleco.com

Zebras need well oxygenated warm water, smaller ones tend not to tolerate elevated nitrates. The rest is moot in terms of what is required for them to thrive and spawn in aquariums.

Flow: Yes plecos are all pretty much adapted to surviving in some level of current between some of the time and all of the time. However, this doesn't mean they need it to live and thrive. One of the most experienced and accomplished pleco breeders a know keeps all of his plecos in tanks with only sponge filters. There needs to be at least enough flow to keep a tank well oxygenated and to move the debris, However, you can provide more flow if you want and it isn't going to hurt anything. The one consideration when spawning comes into play is to have a tank so arranged that there is current that blows across the mouths of breeding caves rather than into them or from behind them. Of course whatever the type(s) of filtration, it should always be adequate for that tank and bio-load. (I have zebra tanks with sponges and HOBs and some with powerhead driven sponges.)

pH: Pretty much anything from about 6.5 to 8.0 seems to work. In the wild the dry season has a higher level about 6.7 and rainy season a lower level about 6.5. Drops can happen rapidly during the start of the rainy season. (Mine have thrived in 7.1-7.4 pH.) Your 6.8 pH is just fine.

GH/KH/TDS: This is where things get interesting. One of the biggest differences between the dry and rainy seasons is in the TDS (conductivity) of the water. In a nutshell "Absolutely pure water is a poor conductor of electricity." TDS is an expression of conductivity level which measures how much stuff is in the water because the "stuff" conducts electricity. A lot, but not not all, of conductivity comes from what we normally test for using our GH and KH test kits. The Xingu has been tested at about 14 ppm in the rainy season and 80 ppm during the dry- that equated to about a GH of under 1dg to a high of about 4.5dg. The point is they do come from softer water but also from water that is sometimes not super soft the becoming so very rapidly.( I have kept mine in a range of 85ppm to 150ppm roughly GH 4-6 and KH 3-5.)

Temp: Temps can range widely during the year. During the dry season it climbs and can be as high as 90F and then at the onset of the rainy season it can suddenly drop 12+ dg.

The point of all this is that zebras, unlike a lot of fish, thrive on change. Once past the first six or so months they can also tolerate dirtier conditions than many fish. This tends to be true of most Hypancistrus. The can also tolerate sudden parameter changes better than the average fw fish. This is true of pretty much all seasonal spawners,

In terms of tank sizes and layouts. First, I would suggest either a thin layer of larger grained sand or bare bottom. This helps in seeing where food, poop and debris build up. Lots of cover in the form of wood and caves if a minimalist, rocks and a few plants that can stand warm water if you want. (rem- There are no plants for zebras in the wild. (I used to plant my tanks, now they are unplanted, and bare bottom and only lighted during maintenance.)

The more cover you provide, the more zebras you can put into any given space- to a point of course. While you will hear lots of opinions on what size and how many zebras can go into tank X. All I can offer is what I have done successfully.

• 30gal breeder currently holds 11 wild caughts and a few fry. At its peak it was 13 breeders and about 55 assorted fry.
  • 20gal long growout currently holds about 33 assorted fry 1.25 to 1.75 inch. Max was about 50.
  • 33gal long currently holds 15 about ready to breed F1s along with two adult wc males.
  • In the past I had as many as 12 growing out to 2 inch+ in a 10 gal; 30+ .75-1.5 inch in a 15gal.
Small zebras want small spaces, bigger zebras start to want small cave sized spaces. I don't see any problem keeping 3-4 zebras in a 15 gal long term as long as you keep water conditions good. here is certainly no reason you can't have 3-4 3 cm fish in your tank. One cave/fish minimum plus other cover.

Hope this all helps.

Let me start by offering the following quote about the zebra's native habitat.

Hypancistrus zebra is native to Brazil. The only reported habitat being on the riverbed of the Rio Xingu, - pronounced Rio Shin-gu). This makes it difficult to re-create the exact conditions and parameters that the fish would normally experience in the wild. Fortunately for us the L46 is relatively adaptable.The Xingu river is a true tributary of the Amazon River, and one which has only recently( in geographical times, 1884) been explored in any great detail. It is made up of three rivers, the Tamitatoaba, the Romero, and the Colisu, which bounds along a series of rapids over 400 miles long. The floor of the xingu is primerily made up of rounded rocks, crevises and a sandy substrate, allowing Hypancistrus zebra to travel throughout it's territory under cover from preditors.

The Amazon and some of its tributaries, called "whitewater" rivers, bear rich sediments and hydrobiological elements. The blackwater and clearwater rivers, such as the Negro, Tapajós, and Xingu have clear or dark water with few nutrients and little sediment. The Xingu is crystal clear and carries little in the way of sediment.

From zebrapleco.com

Zebras need well oxygenated warm water, smaller ones tend not to tolerate elevated nitrates. The rest is moot in terms of what is required for them to thrive and spawn in aquariums.

Flow: Yes plecos are all pretty much adapted to surviving in some level of current between some of the time and all of the time. However, this doesn't mean they need it to live and thrive. One of the most experienced and accomplished pleco breeders a know keeps all of his plecos in tanks with only sponge filters. There needs to be at least enough flow to keep a tank well oxygenated and to move the debris, However, you can provide more flow if you want and it isn't going to hurt anything. The one consideration when spawning comes into play is to have a tank so arranged that there is current that blows across the mouths of breeding caves rather than into them or from behind them. Of course whatever the type(s) of filtration, it should always be adequate for that tank and bio-load. (I have zebra tanks with sponges and HOBs and some with powerhead driven sponges.)

pH: Pretty much anything from about 6.5 to 8.0 seems to work. In the wild the dry season has a higher level about 6.7 and rainy season a lower level about 6.5. Drops can happen rapidly during the start of the rainy season. (Mine have thrived in 7.1-7.4 pH.) Your 6.8 pH is just fine.

GH/KH/TDS: This is where things get interesting. One of the biggest differences between the dry and rainy seasons is in the TDS (conductivity) of the water. In a nutshell "Absolutely pure water is a poor conductor of electricity." TDS is an expression of conductivity level which measures how much stuff is in the water because the "stuff" conducts electricity. A lot, but not not all, of conductivity comes from what we normally test for using our GH and KH test kits. The Xingu has been tested at about 14 ppm in the rainy season and 80 ppm during the dry- that equated to about a GH of under 1dg to a high of about 4.5dg. The point is they do come from softer water but also from water that is sometimes not super soft the becoming so very rapidly.( I have kept mine in a range of 85ppm to 150ppm roughly GH 4-6 and KH 3-5.)

Temp: Temps can range widely during the year. During the dry season it climbs and can be as high as 90F and then at the onset of the rainy season it can suddenly drop 12+ dg.

The point of all this is that zebras, unlike a lot of fish, thrive on change. Once past the first six or so months they can also tolerate dirtier conditions than many fish. This tends to be true of most Hypancistrus. The can also tolerate sudden parameter changes better than the average fw fish. This is true of pretty much all seasonal spawners,

In terms of tank sizes and layouts. First, I would suggest either a thin layer of larger grained sand or bare bottom. This helps in seeing where food, poop and debris build up. Lots of cover in the form of wood and caves if a minimalist, rocks and a few plants that can stand warm water if you want. (rem- There are no plants for zebras in the wild. (I used to plant my tanks, now they are unplanted, and bare bottom and only lighted during maintenance.)

The more cover you provide, the more zebras you can put into any given space- to a point of course. While you will hear lots of opinions on what size and how many zebras can go into tank X. All I can offer is what I have done successfully.

• 30gal breeder currently holds 11 wild caughts and a few fry. At its peak it was 13 breeders and about 55 assorted fry.
  • 20gal long growout currently holds about 33 assorted fry 1.25 to 1.75 inch. Max was about 50.
  • 33gal long currently holds 15 about ready to breed F1s along with two adult wc males.
  • In the past I had as many as 12 growing out to 2 inch+ in a 10 gal; 30+ .75-1.5 inch in a 15gal.
Small zebras want small spaces, bigger zebras start to want small cave sized spaces. I don't see any problem keeping 3-4 zebras in a 15 gal long term as long as you keep water conditions good. here is certainly no reason you can't have 3-4 3 cm fish in your tank. One cave/fish minimum plus other cover.

Hope this all helps.

Thanks,thats all the information i need.

Have emailed a local supplier about a couple of 3-4cm Juveniles.

Will change the gravel to a sand.

Will adjust the water Temperature up to 28/29

At this temperature i can keep a few Cherry shrimp to keep any waste food eaten.

Looking forward to owning these they are different and very pretty.

i really want one now. think they will complement my discus perfectly. are they good with other small L-numbers?

Some excellent info there TwoTankAmin....

I still disagree with the potential amounts for tanks but as i said... certain things work for some where other things work for others.... i personally think you have to many for the tanks you have... however if it works then i see no reason why change is needed.... ive had different experiences and so have many of other zeb breeders i know.... ive kept many over the time, breeders and just groups. Ive had groups in 2 foot (20g) tanks and worked where as a different group just fought like mad in the same size tank.... ive also had a largish group in a 400 litre and again a couple males needed splitting due to fighting.

Although i agree mostly of what you have posted, i think it should be clear that just because your setups have worked, it doesn't mean an exact setup with the same amount of zebs would always work for the next person especially somebody new to zebs like the poster obviously is.

To the flow and filter size..... i agree with you on that one.... however the sponge filters usually added (well in my case) have a bigger area for bacteria growth than your typical internal filter.. but on the other hand sponge filters take up space.. this in smaller tanks to me is quite important, to you it may not be?... that really is personal preference.. neither is wrong. The reason i advised external was you get the best of both worlds.... decent flow and excellent surface area for bacteria growth... no it isn't essential and many people i know also have bare bottom tanks with both air driven and powerhead driven sponges but again it is personal preference.

Ive never been in the mind set of thinking whats bare minimum for the fish kept, why would you go bare minimum if you can give them larger... not exactly restricted in the wild are they?... i also dont really understand the comment about small zebs want small spaces.... this again wouldn't be the case in the wild, they have a vast area they can explore... weather they do or not isn't the point. We cant replicate there habitat we can only try to the best of out ability and giving the species 'bare' minimum size tanks isn't really trying.

Anyways as i said, some excellent info and very helpful but i would never take just one persons setup and say for definite 'that will work' for me or the next person.

Most reactions

Back