Zebra Plecos

Debbie_19

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I live in the UK (Scotland) and really really would like to get my hands on a Zebra Catfish, but can't seem to find them at any of my local aquariums!!! I was just wondering if anybody knows any breeders of these either in Scotland and I could go and collect them or somewhere else in the UK that could mabey post them to me.

Thanks.
:good:

I dont think you can buy them from shops, you need to find a breeder and buy from them. Smithrc had or has some Zebs for sale, i think they were about £150 for 5 juvis

Smithrc has or had colombian zebs for sale, L129 I think.

True zebs do not go for 150 quid for 5, juvies or not.

You can buy from them from certain shops such as Wildwoods when they have them in, but it's never guaranteed.

im from scotland and if you look hard enough ull find some zebs.im currently growing mine out hoping for a spawn maybe later this year

Ultimate Aquatics had some fake zebs in stock..not true ones though. Not tried the other place in or near Dundee

Ultimate Aquatics had some fake zebs in stock..not true ones though. Not tried the other place in or near Dundee

I go to Ultimate aquatics so might have a look there nearer the time. Is there much of a difference between fake and real ones?

Tbh im not totaly sure, i think its just the markings on the fake arent as clear cut compared to the real ones. Honestly though imo wait till the tank bred version become more widespread, i cant imagine loosing a £150+ fish :blink: (godforbid)

There are no other plecs that look like a true zebra ;)

Not sure if you saw my reply on ZP.com... but I'd see if I could find a L134 - leopard frog plec ;)

As a matter of interest what kind of price would 4 Zebs cost, 1 male and 3 females?

As a matter of interest what kind of price would 4 Zebs cost, 1 male and 3 females?

You'd probably have more luck winning the lottery than finding a group of 4, 3 of which are females...but assuming you do then price depends solely on what the seller wants for them. While some sellers ask a fair price there are just as many who want to make as much as they can. To cut a long story short expect to pay anywhere between 500 and 1500 quid for the group (as an average ime), depending on the seller.

Even fairly priced breeders would ask for an arm and a leg for a group like that...
When they are old enough to sex accurately - they will be mature and nearly ready to breed.

mature zebs tend to go for 150-200 each... for a male... more for a female - you'd be looking at the wrong side of a grand even from a reputable seller.

4x 1" fry to grow up and take your chances on sex with would be £300-£600.
Then you'd be looking at about 2-3 years until they will will be mature.

cheapest ive heard of them for is a friend of ours is selling a breeding pair for £350

a good alternative is the king tiger plec which we have

Most reactions

Back