you know where i work.

The Walmarts around me don't have animals in their pet department, but I think that any store that sells animals of any sort need to have employees that work soley in that department, and have good knowledge of the animals, and does regular maintenance on the cages, tanks whatever. Water changes, medicating, even quarentining specific tanks to ensure sick fish are not taken home.

Thats what i expect at my local fish shop, why should t be any different at a Wal-Mart?

Maybe there could be a generic sign at every store that has general rules of fish keeping.

1. Please inform employee of size of tank and current inhabitants of you tank to ensure your new fish will get along.
2. Gold fish need a minimum of 10 gallons
3. General rule of inches per gallon.

Nothing too specific, but enough that people who arent as educated will know a bit more.

The biggest issue I see is the signs that undersize most fish. It may not matter to change them as I think the majority of people just go in there and throw darts.

Carrying some higher quality feeds would be nice. So would more meds. I have to either buy food and meds off the net or wait until someone is driving to petsmart...

I'd like to see liquid test kits but that's maybe asking too much since so few people bother to test anyhow. I bought strips once and they were bad of course I realised that after the receipt and box were long gone.

I really hate to post up the only Wal-mart we have in town but..they are really bad at fishkeeping and their fish tanks are disgusting. They do try, but most of the time it is the employer's fault, not the employees.

#3157 Fort McMurray, Alberta. <---- Keep around 200 goldfish in a small 20 gallon tank. Do not ask what size tank, what kind of fish, etc. Have very little fish knowledge.

I really love my Wal-mart because they don't care about the money, seriously, they just want their customers to be happy. I have complained about the conditions of their fish but they can't do much about it because the fish come into the store sick and dying. They won't let you buy fish if it is a new shipment, however.

littlefishie said:
What's sad was he wasn't kidding.. I went up to him afterwards to ask where he intended on housing all these SW fish he was going to stock [many of them needing large tanks, even as temporary homes before going to our tanks], and he said he would just put them in the tanks with the existing fish. :crazy: Eugh.. I wanted to hurt him.
I asked if he knew about SG and what level it should be at.. he was like 'S...g...?'
man, i hope he meant brackish... there's no way they'd let him do actual saltwater-- too expensive! most brackish fish on the other hand could in theory live in freshwater for a brief amount of time, which would explain some of his idiot answers. a remarkable number of resources don't give any salt level for brackish beyond X tsp salt to Y gallon water, so i also wouldn't be surprise at his ignorance of specific gravity.

just typical experiences (horrific overcrowding and substrate consisting of dead fish):
1. Auburn, AL 36830
2. Opelika, AL 36801

Maybe shops and stores should only be allowed to sell livestock with a license.....They should be inspected regularly in the same way as food stores are with health and safety.....It should be a lot stricter!

Torrean said:
EDIT: I don't keep saltwater fish. I know a little bit about the hobby, like it's REALLY expensive, and that they are a lot pickier than fw fish. So enlighten me please what is sg? You can't be serious. He was planning on putting salties in with freshwater fish??? Is he crazy or cruel?

another edit: hopefully he was planning on emptying those tanks and turning them into saltwater tanks. I thought about it for a min and this makes more sense than what i origianlly thought
SG = specific gravity, or the salinity of the water.. usually around 1.023, if I remember correctly.
I don't think he quite realized that there's a reason why they're called saltwater fish.. :rolleyes:

And pica, he definitely meant SW and not brackish.. cos the guy who was asking about it was talking about the entire fishy cast of Finding Nemo and wanted to know if WalMart could order him a Nemo, Marlin, Dory, Gill, Bloat, Gurgle, Deb/Flo, Jacques, Bubbles, etc..
I just sat there muttering 'clownfish, clownfish, blue tang, moorish idol, puffer...' to everything he'd said, and then pointed out the saltwater side of fishkeeping to both of them. When his ignorance continued I just about yelled.

That was when my friends had to drag me out of the store.. :whistle:

You are all doing an excellent job of giving rabbitlady the information she needs. :thumbs:

Some of the people she will be meeting with are buyers, so if you could name specific fish you have seen for sale in those stores, and give the reason why they shouldn't be stocked, I'm sure it will be very helpful to her.

On the other hand, what kind of fish would you suggest they stock, and why? :unsure:

For those of you who haven't seen this before, here's a picture of the department she runs:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=37552&hl=

For fish stock
This sounds like a simple easy and varied stocklist mostly of smaller fishes or community
Livebearers-all
Bettas
Gouramis-smaller varieties
Cihlids- convicts angels firemouths kribs, ramsotherswarfsdunno, consider tangykian shelldwellers
Catfish-cories, bristlenose plecos, and synodontis eupterus
others-tetras kuhli loaches

All the ingredients for many types of tanks

I think also that Rabbitlady needs to tell her company that they will make more money if they keep clean, healthy fish sections, selling good fish and good advice. Most companies will only listen if you can give them the pros and cons.

Additional training for staff / specific fish dept staff
More tanks for less overcrowding
More staff perhaps for more care/waterchanges
Information Leaflets on cycling/compatibility/species specifics etc
Better labelling on tanks

Cons
Costs the company money up front for equipment/printing/disemminating info
Costs the company money long term for training/additional staff

Pros
Sell good products that will increase the rep of the store (No $ effect although may attract repeat customers)
Decrease wastage on fish dying (saving $ for WM)
People who currently boycott WM will be attracted back into store (increased $ for WM)

I think Rabbitlady needs to stress that many people who spend a significant amount of money on fish (I do - I guess most of you do too!) boycott WM or only use it when desperate. She needs to convince them that the $$$ cost of improving the fish sections will be regained through increased sales and new customers.

HTH

Sarah

I think too, that a lot of the fish they sell are to beginners. More experienced fishkeepers often have specialty lfs to buy their fish because they are looking for less common fish. For example, I have 25 different kinds of cory cats. It's doubtful that I will find any I do not already have at any chain store. I might, however, buy an extra tank, or filter floss, or any of the other fish supplies they stock if I like the way the store looks. And don't forget, I have a cat, so that means I buy cat food and kitty litter regularly.

People just starting out need good solid information, in the form of handouts that they can take home and follow when they set up their tanks. They need to be told that they can't just take a tank home an put all the fish right in as a birthday present for a child. And they need fish that can endure the process of cycling. Of course, not all the fish need be that sturdy, but there should always be some, and they should be recommended. In other words, a person who works there should at least know something about how to "talk fish," to the customers.

And they should NEVER, sell dyed or painted fish! :X

http://www.deathbydyeing.org/colormedead.htm

i would definitely stop carrying common plecos. plecos get big and fast. so there's a very limited amount of time he can spend in a typical community tank before he outgrows it or gets stunted. the biggest tank sold by walmart is a 55g (the minimum for a full-grown common pleco) and somehow i suspect that bit of merchandise has a relatively low turn-over rate... the same issues apply to balas, pacus, and oscars. i don't see you being able to get out of oscars, but the others could probably be argued off the stocklist.

dojo loaches and white cloud minnows would be great coldwater additions. a wider variety of danios (blues, pearls, leopards, zebras, gold zebras...) would probably sell nicely. cardinal tetras instead of neons. just more types of tetras, really. bristlenose plecos would be nice replacements for the commons. paradise fish are aggressive but hardy and can live in a wide range of temperatures. see if you can't find dwarf platies somewhere; i just got 4 and everyone adores them in my tiny 2.5g.

i think that walmart should definitely sell no fish that cannot be permanently housed in a walmart tank. not only is it cruel and unhealty for the fish, its also bad for walmart in that the final tank will have to be bought elsewhere! by carrying fish that will eventually need a much bigger tank, walmart guarantees a competitor a nice chunk of change.

I think too, that a lot of the fish they sell are to beginners.  More experienced fishkeepers often have specialty lfs to buy their fish because they are looking for less common fish.

I agree that most of the fish they sell are to beginners. Unfortunately, those are the people that need the most help with compatibility, size, etc. I don't have a problem buying common fish like tetras, corys and the such from a chain store provided their tanks are well maintained and clean. As a matter of fact, the Petsmart near work is probably one that I would trust as much if not more than any LFS I go to. They have very knowledgable employees too.

People just starting out need good solid information, in the form of handouts that they can take home and follow when they set up their tanks.  They need to be told that they can't just take a tank home an put all the fish right in as a birthday present for a child.  And they need fish that can endure the process of cycling.  Of course, not all the fish need be that sturdy, but there should always be some, and they should be recommended.  In other words, a person who works there should at least know something about how to "talk fish," to the customers.

I think this is something that probably 90% of all LFS fail on, not just Walmart. A lot of the ones near me sell dyed fish (4 of the 6 true fish stores sell them) and will pretty much sell people what ever they want or ask for without asking about tank size and other factors that could make the fish they are purchasing a bad choice. I don't know if they are afraid of insulting someone by asking them what kind of tank it will be in or what it's tank mates will be or what. Personally, I would love to have someone ask me that. At least I would know they cared about the fish and their well being.

ok i really like all of your ideas i am printing it out as you give it to me and i am taking all this info with me..
info on bad stores with bad tanks.. info i have gotten since i have been on here like the cycleing info and fish info that i have downloaded..
as inchworm said give me pro's and cons about the stores you are telling me about..
just to let you all know i am an animal lover of all type but we only sell fish as for live animals in our stores..
and i do give out pamplets out with newbies and i ask what size tank they have but if someone insists on buying something that is not right for them i always tell them to bring it back i will find it a home.. not the porcilian tank either a real home..as far as someone mentioned neons i don't carry those in my tanks i carry the glowlights they do well here..
and rdd i am glad you saw this i have put your stores on my list they where the first ones i had..
someone said they we to the web page and sent an email to home office well i got to tell you that may not work so well. but if you call your store manager and tell him your concerns and if he doesn't listen then go to the district manager. or call 1-800-walmart. this will get there attention for sure.. i will do my part if you all help me.. hope all gets better for all the fish sake..thanks to all of you for the good reply's

Blue Lobster said:
rabittlady, you pose an interesting question. How to help "Big box store X" do a better job selling fish.

Of course staffing the pet section is your biggest problem, since not many people have such a broad range of fish knowledge. I consider myself fairly knowlegable about fish but don't ask about guppies or mollies as I am clueless, it's not my thing.

Since staffing is an issue, outsource it to computers.

Send in the TECHNOLOGY. Maybe a vendor will pick up the tab for the costs.....

How about an in dept. touchscreen Kiosks that will dispense information about fish? Often there is no one "From the department" that knows everything, especially in some 24 hour stores.

A simple flash based picture menu driven system that has stuff like:

"Build a tank, and add fish" They pick a tank and a filter to start, then by clicking fish to add they build a tank. If they overstock, mix non community fish or try to mix salt and fresh they get a Not compatible or too many. A submenu for this "Add a fish to my tank"-Confirms a fish will fit, cohabitate etc with a person's tank that they built.

A "Remember my tank" feature could be used to harvest consumer info for that store since "All fields must be completed to save" will make them put in an address and a suprising bit of info

"Diseases and Treatments" Self explanitory, selling more meds, high margins.

"Water Quality and treatments"
With a menu tree based yes no diagnosis of problem

"Filtration needs" Different types, pros and cons.

The fish offered in the store could be shown on a pallete on the main screen next to the menu. Touch the fish and a breed decription, tank conditions, feeding and temp requirements screen will come up with a back button at the bottom. Somewhere on this page recommended tankmates in smaller icons would help.

This would take the guesswork out of the fish buying experience for many and ease the load on the employees answering techinical questions and being demonized "The guy at Store X said it would be fine, but it's not"

In this day and age, people trust computers more than people.

To add to it I'd say an onboard printer in this kiosk to give them the option of taking the info with them would be nice. But why bother, it will probably be out of paper in most stores by the end of the quarter.

Hope this helps, cause I'd like to see good info given to people and stop sending fish down the "Poclean Tunnel to heaven"

Regards,
Blue Lobster, AKA Matthew B.
i got to tell you this is a fabulous idea i will take this one to work and email this all this for sure and take it to the meeting when i go.. thanks this is something even i would enjoy but then again i might not leave it alone for a bit.. lol

I agree; that is an excellent idea, Blue Lobster! :nod:
I would love to see that idea made reality. I certainly wish something like that had been around when I was a newbie!!

At first it seems like the cost would be too great, but then when you account for how many more larger-sized tanks they'd probably sell with a system like that, I think they'd at least be breaking even.

Most reactions

Back