Yellow Labs

monkeyman

Moved On
Reaction score
2 Days ago i manged to get what i was told was a pair of breeding yellow labs. the pH in my tank is 7.0 and i know these fish need 7.3-8.0 but would they do ok at a constant 7? anyone any experience of keeping these fish outside their pH range??? My tap water is 7.0 you see. Are chemicals a no-no to increase the ph? How else would i increase the pH??? btw, i paid £35 for the two fish they are about 2.5" long, is this a fair price??

2 Days ago i manged to get what i was told was a pair of breeding yellow labs. the pH in my tank is 7.0 and i know these fish need 7.3-8.0 but would they do ok at a constant 7? anyone any experience of keeping these fish outside their pH range??? My tap water is 7.0 you see. Are chemicals a no-no to increase the ph? How else would i increase the pH??? btw, i paid £35 for the two fish they are about 2.5" long, is this a fair price??

Best way to buffer would be with rocks and coral sand. The use of chemical buffers can make crashes almost inevitable in some cases.

I have never kept an eye on the price of yellow labs before, but for 5" of fish, 35 does seem a fair bit.

Are you keeping them with anything else?

Best way to buffer would be with rocks and coral sand. The use of chemical buffers can make crashes almost inevitable in some cases.

I have never kept an eye on the price of yellow labs before, but for 5" of fish, 35 does seem a fair bit.

Yeah, im keeping them with 1 tilipia mariae 5", 1 jack dempsy 3", 1 blue acara 3", 1 pleco 8". No ones seems to bother them at all, in saying that i will be gettin a small 60l tank soon for them especially :wub: what about my pH of 7.0 buddy?

Yeah, im keeping them with 1 tilipia mariae 5", 1 jack dempsy 3", 1 blue acara 3", 1 pleco 8". No ones seems to bother them at all, in saying that i will be gettin a small 60l tank soon for them especially :wub: what about my pH of 7.0 buddy?

The 7.0 PH seems ok for now, but I wouldn't want to keep it at that level. be sure to get the new tank soon and use the buffering methods I've recommended. I wouldn't fancy keeping them in the tank they're in for long because of the tank mates also.

thank you sir. when i get my new tank, would i add bicarbonate os soda to switch the pH to 8.2 and then use coral sand as a substrate? does the coral hold it at 8.2? Please Please help. im gettin my tank tomoz :unsure:

thank you sir. when i get my new tank, would i add bicarbonate os soda to switch the pH to 8.2 and then use coral sand as a substrate? does the coral hold it at 8.2? Please Please help. im gettin my tank tomoz :unsure:

What I would do is add the Coral sand and then test the PH a few hours after everything is settled. If the PH wasn't around the 8 mark I'd consider adding Bicarbonate of Soda.

Good! So the coral sand will raise the pH anyway? what does the sand raise the pH too?

Yeah, use Coral sand as the substrate rather than sand, it will raise the PH.

i would say £35 is high for two yellow labs aswell we paid £3 each for ours and the coral sand will get the ph up fine we use it and have no probs at all

i would say £35 is high for two yellow labs aswell we paid £3 each for ours and the coral sand will get the ph up fine we use it and have no probs at all
Thanks man. My labs are around 3" long... I have seen a lot smaller ones in my lfs for £6.50 each. Maybe were just ripped off in Northern Ireland :sad:

This week i bought 3 yellow lab @£ 3 each they are 2 inches .

Most reactions

Back