Yellow(ish) Lab

ckulahci

Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anyone know why should a yellow lab get dark in color? Mine is like almost yellow-grey. They told me it is because of frequent stress in the petshop tank where they dip nets in and out all the time and that abnormal color is not permanent. It's been almost a month now since I've got my yellow lab but there is simply no improvement . Is it true the reason might be the stress? Or can it be something else?

I cant see it being stress tbh ... especially if youve had it for a month and kept it away from stress ??

Is it a juvie or an adult ? What size tank have you got it in ? What are its tank mates ? What are you feeding it ?

Have you got any pics ? It may be a hybrid.

my guess is if it's stayed this greyish color you dont have a very good fish. the blood lines are third rate at best. (the genetics have been muddied)

my guess is if it's stayed this greyish color you dont have a very good fish. the blood lines are third rate at best. (the genetics have been muddied)

Isnt it if a yellow lab has bars on it then it is a dirty inbreeD?

oh ... you mean like proper full-on dark black bars ?

You got me thinking now lol ... are Y.Labs suppose to have bars ? Ive never noticed nor thought about it ....

Heres a pic of mine ... you can see faint bars on his body ..

copy.jpg

Though i have three Y.Labs, two have these bars, and one dosn't ... which is the one that i suspect is a female.

oh ... you mean like proper full-on dark black bars ?

You got me thinking now lol ... are Y.Labs suppose to have bars ? Ive never noticed nor thought about it ....

Heres a pic of mine ... you can see faint bars on his body ..

copy.jpg

Though i have three Y.Labs, two have these bars, and one dosn't ... which is the one that i suspect is a female.

That's a very healthy looking Yellow lab - really nice example, which is a rare thing these days. :good:

That's a very healthy looking Yellow lab - really nice example, which is a rare thing these days. :good:

Thanks ... i havn't had him long, only about 8/9 days. I took that pic the other night after doing a water change.

This one of mine is really strange looking as well.

IMG_4001.jpg

I love this fish though

here is one picture. for the first time trying to upload.

[/img]

Hi,
As a result, I returned the fish to the store, although the owner insisted on that fish being not a hybrid. Going to replace it with another one from his new stock. But I'm planning to wait till weekend so that any sick fish will be eliminated from the selection.
many thanks...

I used a few yellow labs in a hardy community tank a few years ago, when they were young they were very colourful but as they grew they went very much how you have described on here, (greyish yellow with quite visible bars) The fish were from a breeder and so i'm very sure they weren't hybrids,

Eventually i just put it down to the fact that i was keeping them in totally different conditions than that which they are used too, i.e. water wasn't that hard, and tank was decorated with bogwood and plants.
Soon after i decided to rehome them as i wasn't sure if my conditions were good for their health long term.

Inbreds and Hybrids aint the same thing...

Sorry not to elaborate, was in college and my teacher was walking up to meXD

What I meant is the bars are morelikey to be inbreeding, Hybrid is when two different species breed and have fish.

Inbreeding is when you breed the same fish and then breed their babies together and then their babies and so on, until the gene quality is very low and dosent produce very nice fishies

Most reactions

Back