Yaay!

Austin_09

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was looking at some small tanks at petsmart.com and just ordered this one! http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1137719526883 (the 2 gallon one) I'm really excited it! It said it should be here in 4-10 days (I picked the cheapest shipping). I plan on putting white sand at the bottom and a few small rocks here and there. The plants they have here cost alot so I think i'm going to skip on that even though I know bettas really love them. If they dont have any new bettas since the last time I was there I think I may get the black one (is actually a very dark blue but looks black). Well, anyways, I just had to share my excitement! :hey:

Oh and a question. I am planning on putting the tank up stairs where it is warmer and because I don't have anymore room in my room for it. The temp it fine and doesn't get very chilly. Do you think I'd be able to go without a heater?

You could get some silk plants to put in there... they usually aren't too expensive. Or maybe at least a terra cotta pot for a hidey hole, that's something he could also rest on, and they are usually pretty easy to find and cheap.

As for the heater, as long as the water temp doesn't dip below 72, you should be fine. I have also found that if you are having trouble keeping a small tank warm, wrapping a heating pad around it for a while usually raises the temp nicely. Just have a thermometer in there so that you make sure not to raise it too high. ;)

Honestly, your tank needs to stay around 75 degrees or higher and it needs to stay at a CONSTANT temperature. Wrapping a heating pad around it is a temporary fix that will cause temperature flucuations that can be just as harmful as leaving it at a temperature that's too low. I would run your tank without a fish in it at first and see what temperature it maintains. If it's too low then you'll need a proper heater. If it's steady at a good temperature, then you're all set.

Honestly, your tank needs to stay around 75 degrees or higher and it needs to stay at a CONSTANT temperature. Wrapping a heating pad around it is a temporary fix that will cause temperature flucuations that can be just as harmful as leaving it at a temperature that's too low. I would run your tank without a fish in it at first and see what temperature it maintains. If it's too low then you'll need a proper heater. If it's steady at a good temperature, then you're all set.

Many Bettas live at room temperature water just fine... room temp. for water is about 72. I have two bettas who live in small (2.5 gal) tanks without heaters, their temp. fluctuates about 3-4 degrees every day, and they are my two healthiest bettas. (And, if bubble nests are any indication, they are also my happiest. :) )

Sounds cool and the little pot in there is a good idea. My local Petsmart finally got the 1 nad 2 gallon aquascene for $12.99 in after a lot of complaining.
I've been campaigning for a betta for around 8 months and my parents are still against it :/ but I have a question.
If I were to keep my betta in my room would I need a heater? I have a thermometer and it happens to stay at around 76-79 all the time because it is right next to the boiler room.

Sounds cool and the little pot in there is a good idea. My local Petsmart finally got the 1 nad 2 gallon aquascene for $12.99 in after a lot of complaining.
I've been campaigning for a betta for around 8 months and my parents are still against it :/ but I have a question.
If I were to keep my betta in my room would I need a heater? I have a thermometer and it happens to stay at around 76-79 all the time because it is right next to the boiler room.
That's fine, but I'd keep a thermometer in the tank just in case. :flowers: Good luck with your campaign. ;)

As long as it stays pretty constant you'll be fine without a heater. :)

Well the store in town doesn't have any live plants so it'll have to be a fake one.. but all of those are around $11 and I would still need to get the sand and maybe a lightbulb for the hood. (it didn't say if it came with one)

I just read a message I got from JoLtNbolt and hes offered to send me some Hornwort. I think I may take him up on his offer if I have enough money for shipping in the end.

Many Bettas live at room temperature water just fine... room temp. for water is about 72. I have two bettas who live in small (2.5 gal) tanks without heaters, their temp. fluctuates about 3-4 degrees every day, and they are my two healthiest bettas. (And, if bubble nests are any indication, they are also my happiest. )

From Jim Sonnier's Web Site:
Bettas are tropical fish and need to be kept in freshwater at a temperature of about 75-80 degrees Farenheidt. Most people are comfortable at somewhat lower temperatures so some type of heating arrangement should be made for the fish in order to keep them in optimum health. A wide variety of water heating units are available for this purpose. Bettas can survive at lower temperatures but they may be physically weakened and become susceptible to disease.

From our own TFF FAQ:
The optimal betta temperature is 74-82F, the absolute minimum being 68. So when you're picking out a tank for your new betta you need to consider the temperature of your house. If he won't be warm enough, you'll need to buy a small heater. 25w works perfect for a small tank, 2.5 to 5 gallons. A heater in a tank any smaller than that can be risky. If you'll require a heater,you must buy a bigger tank.

From liveaquaria.com (Dr's Foster & Smith):
Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 75-86°F; pH 6.0-8.0; KH 0-25
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 3"

I gave out the optimal temperatures for bettas, and yes, they'll do fine sometimes in less than optimal situations. Some people will state that their betta is perfectly happy in a 1/2 gallon bowl and that he makes the biggest bubblenest, but we also know that 1/2 gallon is not optimal housing either.

From Jim Sonnier's Web Site:
Bettas are tropical fish and need to be kept in freshwater at a temperature of about 75-80 degrees Farenheidt. Most people are comfortable at somewhat lower temperatures so some type of heating arrangement should be made for the fish in order to keep them in optimum health. A wide variety of water heating units are available for this purpose. Bettas can survive at lower temperatures but they may be physically weakened and become susceptible to disease.

From our own TFF FAQ:
The optimal betta temperature is 74-82F, the absolute minimum being 68. So when you're picking out a tank for your new betta you need to consider the temperature of your house. If he won't be warm enough, you'll need to buy a small heater. 25w works perfect for a small tank, 2.5 to 5 gallons. A heater in a tank any smaller than that can be risky. If you'll require a heater,you must buy a bigger tank.

From liveaquaria.com (Dr's Foster & Smith):
Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 75-86°F; pH 6.0-8.0; KH 0-25
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 3"

I gave out the optimal temperatures for bettas, and yes, they'll do fine sometimes in less than optimal situations. Some people will state that their betta is perfectly happy in a 1/2 gallon bowl and that he makes the biggest bubblenest, but we also know that 1/2 gallon is not optimal housing either.

Okay, not to get into a water temperature war or anything, but...

I believe the absolute minimum temp for bettas is more like 65°F. And optimal means just that...optimal. That doesn't mean that a fish can't be perfectly healthy (notice I said healthy, not just happy) at any temp other than the optimal. I just happen to keep my current breeding stock in half-gallon plastic canisters at room temp (ie 72°F) and they are perfectly healthy and even properly conditioned for breeding under those conditions. Of course I do about a 90% water change DAILY.

As for temperature fluctuations and such... Bettas can survive temps between 65°F and 85°F. Most can also tolerate temperature fluctuations of about 5 degrees or so without any ill effect. Specimens that are tank bred and raised ARE more sensitive to temperature changes, since they're use to even temperatures. However, pet store fish and those bred in Thailand are generally raised outdoors where they are exposed to temperature fluctuations early in life and are therefore more tolerant of them.

So, in my humble opinion, bettas can be kept perfectly healthy at room temperature with a slight drop in temp at night. ...which is usually the most economical route for hobbyists who don't have an entire room to devote to fishkeeping.

:nerd:

Honestly, i have to disagree. When i got my first betta, i kept him in an unheated tank upstairs. My house is usually kept at 65 degrees, but this fish was extremely lethargic and i seriously was wondering when it would die. It never moved unless i tapped on the glass. When i moved him into a bigger 5 gallon tank wiht a heater, this fish came alive. It became active and even built a bubble nest, something i never dreamed of seeing from this little guy.

Well, what can I say? What works for one, doesn't work for all. Honestly, most of what I know about fish comes from reading a lot. But I have kept many bettas before that were healthy and active at room temp in gallon and half-gallon containers. When you have limited space, limited resources, and a tank full of juvenile fish to 'jar', conditions can't always be optimal. :/

Most reactions

Back