WOW!!!! A $500.00 Cory, you would have to really want one of those pretty badly… way beyond me…

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
M. praecox rainbows were going for $50 ea when they first made it onto the market. Those cories are being bred by Aquarium Glaser, a huge German fish farm. They would have hundreds of fish breeding and someone is making a lot of money from people who are silly enough to pay that price. Aquarium Glaser wouldn't be selling them if they didn't have lots of them.

Bred by one farm =/= mass production.

They're still very new to the hobby. Glaser gets their hands on rarer stuff first often. They are going to have a high price tag for various reasons. (Fish slower to maturity, spawning triggers are more work, how much they paid to get their hands on their breeding group, etc).

Just because YOU think poorly of people who will want to buy this fish, does not discredit the fact that it is this price for a reason. People like what they like, your opinion holds no power over that fact. It is going to be expensive for awhile, and rightfully so. That's the way the corydoras go with the rarer ones. Same goes for the pleco trade too, high price tags among a LOT of them. Slow growing, slow maturing, more-work-to-breed fish and lower availability impacts pricing.

Right. Because only the great Colin can be correct. Only room for his expertise here, no one else's.

I'm starting to remember why I left this forum. You've definitely not changed I'm the couple years I've been gone.

It's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. In my opinion it's a rip off even if it is a holy grail fish. It's not wild caught from the deepest darkest places in the Amazon with no air or road access and where it takes 6 months to get it back to civilisation. It's bred in Germany so they are producing large numbers on a regular basis, which means it shouldn't cost that much. It's no different to other Cories and I think there are plenty that look better than that and don't cost anywhere near that much.
Absolutely. This chap is taking the mickey..but then there are some gullible buyers out there

I got a thread deleted earlier this week... and for this very reason... I must be a trouble maker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back