Would you pay more?

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I was just reading an article by a figure in the British Veterinary Association, discussing exotic pets and the issues vets see with them. The author mentioned the trade in wild caught fish, and her perception of a need for change there. I'm going to be a bit utopian here, and play a thought game. I think it's foolish to dream of an ethical system that puts the welfare and sound raising of fish ahead of profit when we have near monopolies in much of North America. Shareholder returns matter more than sound practices as we stand now, and the trend is to get worse, not better.
But there are initiatives involving local communities of fishers in the protection of the species they make their livings selling. There are hopeful reports of larger populations of commercially valuable fish close to the villages that collect them.
The farms are growing, as the Chinese market takes off, and there, there is a problem as we see how unhealthy the fish bred and raised in industrial quantities can be. These fish are dirt cheap, and that's what matters to the large chains when they exercise their buying clout. But the 'what if' game is to ask ourselves - how more, percentage-wise, would we be willing to pay for healthy, ethically raised aquarium fish if such practices existed?
I'd pay 100% more if I knew I was getting fish with a great chance of a long healthy life. Right now, farmed fish are a lottery, and I haven't had many winning tickets over the past 2 years. But farms with different rules on crowding, regulated numbers of fish per bag for shipping, etc would change a lot. It's unlikely, but would we pay for it?

They’re only to buy once, so absolutely yes.

100% - I think this is sort of in the hobby already but you have to be super niche and neck deep to find it. Eg in the UK there are a few pockets of hobbyists that will have a large fish house and do bulk orders of fish from reputable/legendary places like Glasers in Germany or Cichlids of the Americas in the US. Both places need minimum orders of £1,000 and small groups organise this and get them into the country and then distribute it.

I used to have access to one such place but then his main business took off and he had to wind down the fish, but he used to do near monthly trips to the big Dutch and German farms/ distributers and people paid over the odds to get the better quality fish. A lot of them were rare cichlids and plecos but he'd always have tanks full of super healthy bread and butter Tetras and Barbs.

Interestingly it happens in the plant side of things, Tropica are known quite often early on in the hobby and you pay over the odds as you know they are quality, named, branded, trusted etc. But on the fish side of things I dont think this exists to the same extent - its an interesting business opportunity really, especially given the voracity of the hobby on YouTube these days.

I would be willing to pay more, and do, for (what I trust to be as they say) ethically raised fish.

I definitely would. I'm the opposite with most other animals I.e. wouldn't buy a pedigree animal and have a couple of rescue rabbits, but you can't exactly adopt a fish from a rescue place! If a place provided proof of where they got them from and that they were more ethically raised I would 100% pay more. I have been researching local LFS near me and found one with much, much better reviews than anywhere else in terms of fish health and quality. I haven't bought from there yet but will give them a try soon as I am hoping the reviews mean that they look after their fish a bit better.

I guess no Asian Arowana for you...
That would be cool . I’ve seen some Arowana’s in my time and they are truly spectacular and awesome and every other glowing superlative but I limit myself to five bucks because if the fish dies I don’t have to feel like I threw money away . I know that everyone has their priorities and all but money is sometimes hard to come by and the whole family has its legitimate claims on that dollar so I try hard to be frugal .

That would be cool . I’ve seen some Arowana’s in my time and they are truly spectacular and awesome and every other glowing superlative but I limit myself to five bucks because if the fish dies I don’t have to feel like I threw money away . I know that everyone has their priorities and all but money is sometimes hard to come by and the whole family has its legitimate claims on that dollar so I try hard to be frugal .
That makes sense.
I feel bad spending more than $5 on a fish as well. I would definitely never spend 300+ on a fish.

I don't mine to pay more for healthy and responsibly farmed fish. But to get to that point, I would have to buy them from a serious private breeder. Fortunately, I'm in an international network of serious breeders.
There's no real fish farm to be found that will do that. For the mass production means continuity of sales. Those fish are raised in a very short time. And importers and wholesalers love those low prices. That means, a better margin for them to earn. So, buying through retail, doesn't help that much. But wholesalers also buy from private breeders. Even from very good ones. But once arrived at the wholesaler, the wholesaler will treat them the same as those coming from a fish farm. Which could add to a less quality of those fish as well.

but you can't exactly adopt a fish from a rescue place!
It is possible- Freeads, Facebook, RSPCA, Pets at home, Sims Tropical Fish, The Fish Rescue and Welfare Charity etc. all rehome unwanted fish or fish who's owners are not able to care for them.

Would I pay more? Yes, if the breeding and care are genuinely of a higher standard, but how can you be sure?

It is possible- Freeads, Facebook, RSPCA, Pets at home, Sims Tropical Fish, The Fish Rescue and Welfare Charity etc. all rehome unwanted fish or fish who's owners are not able to care for them.

Would I pay more? Yes, if the breeding and care are genuinely of a higher standard, but how can you be sure?
That's interesting to hear! I wouldn't have thought it would be worthwhile for them except for the more valuable fish.

Most reactions

Back