Would This Be Considered Animal Abuse?

MrSwiss420

Reaction score
Here is the video. Let me know what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv9naVRgsY8

Here is the video. Let me know what you think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv9naVRgsY8

Defo animal abuse. If they don't know how to look after livestock then they shouldn't have them in the first place. They should be reported and banned

Yes but unfortantly it happens alot.
The best thing to do is not use those places (no names but we all know them) and encourage others not to use them. That or get a job at one and sort it out :)

From the suggested link on youtube it looks like there are a lot of bad practices at Wal-marts pet depatments.

Pets at homes fish department often leaves something to be desired.
Once overheard the manager of our local ones department recommend to keep 2 bettas together to keep each other company! What a howler!

To be honest its hard for anyone to know everything about everything in the hobby let alone these type of stores that often have fish, reptiles rabbits etc. They should do their research though before they sell stuff in my opinon.

Trouble is these type of places generally pay pretty bad which reflects in the type of people that get taken on and is a rarity to find someone really useful and consciencious about their job.

I agree with several of the things said, there are good and bad staff in most lfs.

My local PAH is brilliant for marine fish - there are at least two hobbyists there :good:

Seffie x

To be honest its hard for anyone to know everything about everything in the hobby let alone these type of stores that often have fish, reptiles rabbits etc. They should do their research though before they sell stuff in my opinon.

It is worth noting that Walmart is NOT a pet store. I'm not sure what you would call them, but they carry everything from sporting goods to clothing to furniture to groceries, cosmetics, etc. They also have a pet section with food, toys, and other supplies, and some of them have fish. These fish are not stocked or owned by them. They rent the tank space out to distributors who dump off a combination of species where the supply far outstrips the demand (green spotter puffers, oscars) and fish whose colors or finnage aren't up to par for a pet store (muddy guppies and platys, etc.). This is why they don't even have a person trained to take care of them.

It is certainly cruel, but whether or not it is legally animal abuse depends on where you are. In the US, for example, I don't think fish have any protection whatsoever. :no:

ASPCA considers an animal anything living that is not a human. A fish is living and it is not a human so....If this were a dog or cat being treated like this people would be crying and protesting outside of this place.

yeah none of us are saying its fine but dunno about usa but rspca doesnt cover fish

Ok first off I want to say I am not picking for a fight here so you know if it doesnt come across right then I apologise. However,

It is worth noting that Walmart is NOT a pet store.

Good point but, they shouldn't sell fish or allow fish to be sold in their stores. In the UK thats called passing the buck ;)

They wouldn't sell a concession to a drug dealer selling crack would they, surely they must be held to some responsibility for what is sold on their premises.

Anyway, I think most have us have been to a garden center or lfs at some time in our lives where dead fish have been in tanks or have been given terrible advice or bad service by someone who doesnt want to be at work.

Its a terrible situation that is not likely to change any time soon.

They were compared to pet stores, which is why I pointed out that they are not one. The quality of care that they receive is considerably worse because they aren't a pet store and do not have any staff trained to deal with animals. That's also why I pointed out that they neither own nor stock the fish there. It is not right and I certainly did not imply that it was, but it explains the "why" of the situation. Obviously they should not have fish at all, but as long as people passing through are willing to buy a bowl and a guppy to pacify their spoilt child they will continue to do it.

The ASPCA may, but they don't make the laws. Someone once idly asked me if it was actually illegal to fight bettas and I spent quite a long time online, finding almost nothing about the protection of pet fish in the US. The only definite thing I found is that cold-blooded animals are not protected under the Animal Welfare Act. They SHOULD be protected, but I don't know how long it will be before they are.

Most reactions

Back